What are Sky doing with the Bond licence now?

edited November 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 12,837
I was just channel surfing, nothing was on TV. So I thought I'd see what Bond film was on. Then I realised the 007 channel was gone. Sky have closed it. So what's the point in Sky having the licence? They're not on demand either. May as well have kept it at ITV, they'd probably show them more.

Comments

Isn't there an action channel?
  • RC7RC7
    I noticed this the other day. What a joke.
    Bloody Murdochs - should of bumped them off years ago. They buy things and then just leave it to either rot or tender it out to others. If everyone complained to the goverment then we may be turn things around. OHHHH sorry the goverment are in the Murdochs pocket. sorry forgot that bit.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Good question. There is an Action & Adventure channel and a Crime & Thriller channel, so they could show up on either, though more likely the former.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    Being British, I am annoyed that Sky got the rights to the Bond films. Up until this year, ITV had the rights to show Bond films and it was almost a tradition to watch them on that channel.

Shame.
  • I would assume most of us dedicated Bond fans will have all the Bond movies on either DVD or Blu-ray or even VHS. And if not, they can be picked up for about £3 each from eBay etc for the DVDs. I don't therefore see why having a dedicated sky Channel is such a big deal really? Was a shame to see it go from ITV though, denying the British public free access to a very British institution.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,745
    I would assume most of us dedicated Bond fans will have all the Bond movies on either DVD or Blu-ray or even VHS. And if not, they can be picked up for about £3 each from eBay etc for the DVDs. I don't therefore see why having a dedicated sky Channel is such a big deal really? Was a shame to see it go from ITV though, denying the British public free access to a very British institution.

For me, I'm more willing to watch my least favorite films if I don't have to go through the trouble of setting them to play.

• I would assume most of us dedicated Bond fans will have all the Bond movies on either DVD or Blu-ray or even VHS. And if not, they can be picked up for about £3 each from eBay etc for the DVDs. I don't therefore see why having a dedicated sky Channel is such a big deal really? Was a shame to see it go from ITV though, denying the British public free access to a very British institution.

I do have all the DVDS but it was nice being able to stick a random Bond flm on when there was nothing on TV.

Besides, like you said, it was sort of a tradition on ITV. And kids without Sky might never get introduced to the Bond films.

So if they're going to buy the Bond films they should at least put the licence to use instead of taking it for no reason.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    I would assume most of us dedicated Bond fans will have all the Bond movies on either DVD or Blu-ray or even VHS. And if not, they can be picked up for about £3 each from eBay etc for the DVDs. I don't therefore see why having a dedicated sky Channel is such a big deal really? Was a shame to see it go from ITV though, denying the British public free access to a very British institution.

I do have all the DVDS but it was nice being able to stick a random Bond flm on when there was nothing on TV.

Besides, like you said, it was sort of a tradition on ITV. And kids without Sky might never get introduced to the Bond films.

So if they're going to buy the Bond films they should at least put the licence to use instead of taking it for no reason.

Yes, it was through a mainstream tv channel that I got introduced to Bond. But I appreciate we are in the digital age where things are easier to get hold of.

I can only imagine that ITV relinquished Bond due to poor viewing figures.

• acoppola wrote:
    I can only imagine that ITV relinquished Bond due to poor viewing figures.

I think it was more down to Skys high money figures.
  • That might be a reason then why Sky is not retaining its own dedicated Bond channel - lack of demand? I agree it is a shame that Sky now having the rights are now choosing not to make the most of them. I have Sky but not the movie package. I maybe in a minority here but I always prefer to put on the DVDs as it becomes more of an event & I get to enjoy the special features also. Sky are good at what they do but it can be at the expense of others at times unfortunately.
  • That might be a reason then why Sky is not retaining its own dedicated Bond channel - lack of demand? I agree it is a shame that Sky now having the rights are now choosing not to make the most of them. I have Sky but not the movie package. I maybe in a minority here but I always prefer to put on the DVDs as it becomes more of an event & I get to enjoy the special features also. Sky are good at what they do but it can be at the expense of others at times unfortunately.

Don't think it was lack of demand that took them off, myworldisenough-though I'd be interested in seeing viewing figures. They were only scheduled to show them until the 4th of November. Now I suppose they will just pop up now and then. I wished the channel would have been on longer-wouldn't have minded being able to flick it on over the Christmas period.

• scotty8692 wrote:
    That might be a reason then why Sky is not retaining its own dedicated Bond channel - lack of demand? I agree it is a shame that Sky now having the rights are now choosing not to make the most of them. I have Sky but not the movie package. I maybe in a minority here but I always prefer to put on the DVDs as it becomes more of an event & I get to enjoy the special features also. Sky are good at what they do but it can be at the expense of others at times unfortunately.

Don't think it was lack of demand that took them off, myworldisenough-though I'd be interested in seeing viewing figures. They were only scheduled to show them until the 4th of November. Now I suppose they will just pop up now and then. I wished the channel would have been on longer-wouldn't have minded being able to flick it on over the Christmas period.

Yes, the Bond films are senomonous with the Christmas period. Before home video, holiday seasons especially Christmas was the best time to see them. Shame that era appears to be at an end :(
  • Having said all that, like many people even though I have Sky, I also have all the DVDs so I can see Bond any time I like. I'm sure they could still show a few Bonds over the Christmas period. I'm disappointed the channel wasn't on longer as I was working a lot, and the only Bond film I saw in that period, apart from Skyfall, was Dr No on the Sky channel. I did catch chunks of some other ones though, but not another whole film.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I believe they are still available through Sky on demand. I come from a generation that had to wait for a Bond film to come on and they were on about twice a year if you were lucky, bearing in mind VHS wasn't common place and was extremely expensive.

Now we are bitching about Sky not showing them all the time, they showed them solidly for a month as part of the 50th, this would have been heaven when I was a kid. Did anyone seriously think Sky was making this a permanent fixture?

I have them all on Blu ray so the idea of them being on TV is irrelevant and I've never understood why people want to watch films they own, it's a phenomenon that perplexes me why you would do this?
  • Goldfinger just finished and Thunderball is on Sky Classics, so I guess they're showing the 60s/70s films there and the rest on the action or thriller channel.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Turns out the 007 channel is coming back again. But how long will it last?
    Shardlake wrote:
    I come from a generation that had to wait for a Bond film to come on and they were on about twice a year if you were lucky, bearing in mind VHS wasn't common place and was extremely expensive.

Don't act all high and mighty since that's how most of us grew up.

I was complaining because Sky took the Bond licence and, at the time, didn't seem to be doing anything with it. It was a tradition on ITV so I was angry that they'd taken it off free TV for (what seemed like) no reason.

Did you like the GB trailer? I thought it was pretty cool! I think it is for New Years Day only?!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    RogueAgent wrote:

Did you like the GB trailer? I thought it was pretty cool! I think it is for New Years Day only?!

That trailer was epic.

Is it New Years day only or it did just mean that it was starting up again on New Years day?
    RogueAgent wrote:

That trailer was epic.

Is it New Years day only or it did just mean that it was starting up again on New Years day?

Loved how they all had a bullet coming down the barrel! :D It kind of gives the impression it is only for New years day?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Sky get the rights to Skyfall in March, so they may run it around that time as well.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Sky get the rights to Skyfall in March, so they may run it around that time as well.

I will be running it myself from Feb 18th! ;)
  • Samuel001 wrote:

Don't they normally wait about a year to show films that were at the cinema? Sherlock Holmes 2 for example has only just been on.

SF will probably be on box office when Sky get the rights to it but why bother paying for that when the DVD is out?
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    It'll be on Pay Per View on Sky first. It'll be a year or so before it hits the subscription movie channels.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:

Don't they normally wait about a year to show films that were at the cinema? Sherlock Holmes 2 for example has only just been on.

SF will probably be on box office when Sky get the rights to it but why bother paying for that when the DVD is out?

If you haven't seen the film, £4 is cheaper than £12. A good idea if you only watch films the once. For fans though, of course they'll already have bought the film by then.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

For me, I'm more willing to watch my least favorite films if I don't have to go through the trouble of setting them to play.

The words of a truly dedicated fan. Puts into perspective those people who make the feeble effort to travel to an away match at Carlisle on a wet Tuesday night in feb.

Even I don't hate DAD enough that I can't be arsed to shove the disc in the player.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Since they stopped the 007 Channel, sky have been showing a handful of the films on Sky Movies Classics.
  • BenBen
    I'm pretty sure that all the movies are on Sky Go so you could log onto to that to see any of the films you want to watch.