A question to those who care not for Brosnan's Bond

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Brosnan on the other hand more often than not seemed as if he was above it.
    Okay, maybe I'm wrong- I've just never heard him talk badly myself. But I only see what's posted; I don't hunt down interviews.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Brozza was easily the worst Bond, and appeared in the worst films of the franchise.

As an opinion this is to be respected. As a factual statement... well, umm...
    FAIL. :)>-
    It's nothing more than an opinion....did you not realise that?

Yeah, I know, it's just that if I say Craig is easily the worst Bond (which I do NOT believe btw) I'd get a lot of flack for it. Poor Broz, the current whipping boy. ;)
    chrisisall wrote:

Yeah, I know, it's just that if I say Craig is easily the worst Bond (which I do NOT believe btw) I'd get a lot of flack for it. Poor Broz, the current whipping boy. ;)

He deserves a good whipping, and kicking, and lets throw some rotten eggs at him too while we are at it....... ;)
    So mean...

:P
  • RC7RC7
    edited December 2012 Posts: 10,512
    chrisisall wrote:
    And Craig doesn't come off crass & vulgar with his 2-F-bomb-per paragraph talking style? LOL! :))

No actually, he doesn't. In most of the interviews he gives he comes across well-composed and actually grateful and honored to have the job. Brosnan on the other hand more often than not seemed as if he was above it.

Brosnan, along with Moore, is clearly the most grateful. I haven't seen anything from Brosnan to suggest he thought he was above it. As for Craig, he's quite nonchalant and if you catch him on the wrong day he can be aloof and relatively vulgar. I actually quite like that as it's usually a finger up at the cretin interviewing him. However, it doesn't take away the fact Brosnan was to all extents and purposes a gent and very gracious. You can't say a bad word about Dan without being threatened with ejection but with Brozza it's a free for all and hilarious. I don't see how he deserves the hate.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    chrisisall wrote:
    And Craig doesn't come off crass & vulgar with his 2-F-bomb-per paragraph talking style? LOL! :))

No actually, he doesn't. In most of the interviews he gives he comes across well-composed and actually grateful and honored to have the job. Brosnan on the other hand more often than not seemed as if he was above it.

Could you give some examples of this? In the interviews I've read he comes across as one of the nicest Bonds. Him and Moore seem most grateful for it because both actually seem to think it's an honor to play Bond.

Craig most of the time comes across as a decent enough bloke too, but there's one interview on here where he swears loads and it's embarassing. It's like he's trying to be cool but comes across as, like you said, "crass and vulgar"
    RC7 wrote:
    You can't say a bad word about Dan without being threatened with ejection but with Brozza it's a free for all and hilarious. I don't see how he deserves the hate.

Yep. You can't say a bad word about Craig without being called a troll but Brosnan gets bashed on here all the time. I've learned to just live with it.

To be fair it's only a few members with loud voices I think, but some people seem take it personally if you say something bad about Craigs films.
  • To be clear, the interviews I'm referring to are not print, but rather video ones. I can't decipher much about the personlity from print, but when you see the person rather, their body language, expressions, it's much easier to form an opinion.

Unfortunately I don't remember a specifc one off the top of my head, or where they're from to be exact. I know, it doesn't help my argument. But they're there, they're plenty in fact. Actually, come to think of it, one moment does come to mind (though again, I don't remember which interview it's from) where Brosnan is going down the list of Bond actors, using them as examples of each having been the preferred choice by certain members of the public. There is a moment where he actually mentions Timothy Dalton, but does it in such an awkward, condescending way (as if he didn't believe a word he was saying) that it comes across as demeaning and insulting. When I saw this originally, I thought it was very crass and tasteless. He doesn't downright insult Dalton, but he makes a face when mentioning his name that might as well be the same thing. Conversely, I can never picture Dalton himself doing something like this. He is way too classy for that. And let's not even mention Moore. Even Craig himself, I've never seen him speak that way. It just left a bad taste for me, and like I said, that side of Brosnan's personality has been evident for me in a handful of interviews.

For the record, though I did earlier state that I appreciated Brosnan's performance during the time of his tenure, I was never keen on his personality during interviews, even back then.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:

I have never felt that Brosnan thought he was ever "above" the role of Bond. As we all know, Bond is bigger than the actors who play him, no matter what legend attains the role at this point in its life (50 years old). Brosnan is one of the Bond actors who watched the films as a little boy and loved the character, hoping like we all did and still do to be him. Brosnan had the time of his life playing Bond, and when he was kicked to the can in 2004 he didn't even see it coming. He was so bowled over to have it that he never thought it would end, even after DAD. But truly, he is one of the most grateful for all it has given him, and quite simply the amazing ride it was, a "blur" all fleshing together it was so fast and exciting. You can see that clearly in the Bond documentary which he was honorable enough to partake in, even after his rough patches with EON. His face when he is discussing the CGI surfing scene in DAD lets us know that yes, even Pierce thought that the idea was total tripe. :)
    chrisisall wrote:

I have never felt that Brosnan thought he was ever "above" the role of Bond. As we all know, Bond is bigger than the actors who play him, no matter what legend attains the role at this point in its life (50 years old). Brosnan is one of the Bond actors who watched the films as a little boy and loved the character, hoping like we all did and still do to be him. Brosnan had the time of his life playing Bond, and when he was kicked to the can in 2004 he didn't even see it coming. He was so bowled over to have it that he never thought it would end, even after DAD. But truly, he is one of the most grateful for all it has given him, and quite simply the amazing ride it was, a "blur" all fleshing together it was so fast and exciting. You can see that clearly in the Bond documentary which he was honorable enough to partake in, even after his rough patches with EON. His face when he is discussing the CGI surfing scene in DAD lets us know that yes, even Pierce thought that the idea was total tripe. :)

Then why did he not standup and say to the producers and writers that CGi surfing scene was rubbish, thats what i never get with Brosnan he could have made his films a lot better if he didn't sit back and accept the silly stuff he was given. I'm sure he's honoured to have played Bond but he can't honestly say he can be happy with the product he came out with. His films haven't aged well and there's a reason he's getting a ton of backlash.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,272
    RC7 wrote:
    Brosnan, along with Moore, is clearly the most grateful. I haven't seen anything from Brosnan to suggest he thought he was above it. As for Craig, he's quite nonchalant and if you catch him on the wrong day he can be aloof and relatively vulgar. I actually quite like that as it's usually a finger up at the cretin interviewing him. However, it doesn't take away the fact Brosnan was to all extents and purposes a gent and very gracious.
    As much as I hated Brozza as Bond, I agree with this. In interviews he always came across quite humble and very grateful that he had landed the role, and seemed to really enjoy being Bond. I never had any issues with Brozza personally, it was just the films he appeared in which I didn't care for, but as for how he comes across in interviews, I thought he came across as a decent sort of bloke.

To be clear, the interviews I'm referring to are not print, but rather video ones. I can't decipher much about the personlity from print, but when you see the person rather, their body language, expressions, it's much easier to form an opinion.

Unfortunately I don't remember a specifc one off the top of my head, or where they're from to be exact. I know, it doesn't help my argument. But they're there, they're plenty in fact. Actually, come to think of it, one moment does come to mind (though again, I don't remember which interview it's from) where Brosnan is going down the list of Bond actors, using them as examples of each having been the preferred choice by certain members of the public. There is a moment where he actually mentions Timothy Dalton, but does it in such an awkward, condescending way (as if he didn't believe a word he was saying) that it comes across as demeaning and insulting. When I saw this originally, I thought it was very crass and tasteless. He doesn't downright insult Dalton, but he makes a face when mentioning his name that might as well be the same thing. Conversely, I can never picture Dalton himself doing something like this. He is way too classy for that. And let's not even mention Moore. Even Craig himself, I've never seen him speak that way. It just left a bad taste for me, and like I said, that side of Brosnan's personality has been evident for me in a handful of interviews.

For the record, though I did earlier state that I appreciated Brosnan's performance during the time of his tenure, I was never keen on his personality during interviews, even back then.

You still haven't managed to produce a single bit of evidence. The only bit of "evidence" you have for this argument is that Brosnan apparently made a face while mentioning Dalton (who Brosnan said in an interview in the James Bond unmasked book "played it right down the fucking line) in an interview you saw.

I'd take you more seriously if you could show me that interview, or another where he shows this side of his personality you're on about. In the interviews I've seen he comes across as a nice bloke who's happy to be there.
    lahaine wrote:
    Then why did he not standup and say to the producers and writers that CGi surfing scene was rubbish, thats what i never get with Brosnan he could have made his films a lot better if he didn't sit back and accept the silly stuff he was given. I'm sure he's honoured to have played Bond but he can't honestly say he can be happy with the product he came out with. His films haven't aged well and there's a reason he's getting a ton of backlash.

So the CGI surfing is his fault for refusing to do it? BS. He did what he was given in the scripts, just like any of the others would have done. The only Bond actor to get any real creative control is Craig, none of the others had a say (Dalton was given LTKs script days before filming).

He's not really getting a ton of backlash apart from on sites like this (or maybe other fansites like him, I'm not a member on any others). And the ammount of hate he gets on here is ridiculous (especially since you can't say a bad word about the current Bond).
    And the ammount of hate he gets on here is ridiculous (especially since you can't say a bad word about the current Bond).
    It's nothing personal against Brozza, at least from my POV. I'm comparing a Bond who appeared in the worst films of the franchise, with an actor who has appeared in 2 of the finest films of the franchise, and it appears as though many other fans think this way too, so it is understandable that Brozza gets a lot of flak, and Craig gets a lot of praise. Dalton doesn't get hardly any flak either, and again it is because he appeared in 2 of the greatest films of the franchise too.

It's all about the quality (or lack of it in Brozza's case) which will drive the criticism or praise.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    lahaine wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

I truly don't think Brosnan saying something did anything, and how do we know he didn't? None of us where there on set, and he could have criticized the script and Tamahori till the cows came home and nothing came of it. We simply don't know, and can't go anywhere on disinformation.
    And the ammount of hate he gets on here is ridiculous (especially since you can't say a bad word about the current Bond).
    It's nothing personal against Brozza, at least from my POV. I'm comparing a Bond who appeared in the worst films of the franchise, with an actor who has appeared in 2 of the finest films of the franchise, and it appears as though many other fans think this way too, so it is understandable that Brozza gets a lot of flak, and Craig gets a lot of praise. Dalton doesn't get hardly any flak either, and again it is because he appeared in 2 of the greatest films of the franchise too.

It's all about the quality.

See I don't really mind your posts because you give fair reasons and have a bit of a joke about it.

I like CR and SF, don't get me wrong, but if you say something bad about Craig (or Skyfall) and you get half the site on your back with a few members in particular taking it personally.

Dalton gets lots of praise too but unlike DC, he still gets a fair bit of criticism.
    I feel outside of this site in mainstream movie viewing Dalton would just be that guy, as would Lazenby. Everyone knows Sean, maybe Roger and Pierce, but definitely Dan as he is all the rage now more than ever. It is quite sad too, because Dalton gave a hell of a performance in his two that still stand up as great interpretations of the character.

See I don't really mind your posts because you give fair reasons and have a bit of a joke about it.

I like CR and SF, don't get me wrong, but if you say something bad about Craig (or Skyfall) and you get half the site on your back with a few members in particular taking it personally.

Dalton gets lots of praise too but unlike DC, he still gets a fair bit of criticism.

I think Craig still gets his fair share of criticism, if you look at the regular abuse hurled towards QoS.

I think Craig still gets his fair share of criticism, if you look at the regular abuse hurled towards QoS.

I for one, can stand by this.
  • To be clear, the interviews I'm referring to are not print, but rather video ones. I can't decipher much about the personlity from print, but when you see the person rather, their body language, expressions, it's much easier to form an opinion.

You still haven't managed to produce a single bit of evidence. The only bit of "evidence" you have for this argument is that Brosnan apparently made a face while mentioning Dalton (who Brosnan said in an interview in the James Bond unmasked book "played it right down the fucking line) in an interview you saw.

I'd take you more seriously if you could show me that interview, or another where he shows this side of his personality you're on about. In the interviews I've seen he comes across as a nice bloke who's happy to be there.
    lahaine wrote:

So the CGI surfing is his fault for refusing to do it? BS. He did what he was given in the scripts, just like any of the others would have done. The only Bond actor to get any real creative control is Craig, none of the others had a say (Dalton was given LTKs script days before filming).

He's not really getting a ton of backlash apart from on sites like this (or maybe other fansites like him, I'm not a member on any others). And the ammount of hate he gets on here is ridiculous (especially since you can't say a bad word about the current Bond).

If you read my post, you would see that I clearly wrote that I was quite aware that I wasn't helping my argument by not stating a specific case. Apparently you still felt the need to point out something I already stated, but fine.

I don't have the DVD's and interviews handy for me to instantly tell you which one it's from. And the truth is, it's not the first thing on my agenda right now. However, when I get around to it I will gladly tell you which one I'm referring to, and also point out the other incidents I feel qualify.

To be clear, I take no issue whatsoever if others like Brosnan or his personality. It doesn't affect me one way or the other. Everyone is entitled. All I'm saying is that I personally never took to the latter based on how I feel he came across in my eyes.
  • I feel outside of this site in mainstream movie viewing Dalton would just be that guy, as would Lazenby. Everyone knows Sean, maybe Roger and Pierce, but definitely Dan as he is all the rage now more than ever. It is quite sad too, because Dalton gave a hell of a performance in his two that still stand up as great interpretations of the character.

Lazenby and Dalton are the forgotten two, which is a shame because Dalton really did something different and is so underrated. Lazenby wasn't bad either and is in one of the best films of the series imo.
    Lazenby and Dalton are the forgotten two, which is a shame because Dalton really did something different and is so underrated. Lazenby wasn't bad either and is in one of the best films of the series imo.

Hell yes.
    I feel outside of this site in mainstream movie viewing Dalton would just be that guy, as would Lazenby. Everyone knows Sean, maybe Roger and Pierce, but definitely Dan as he is all the rage now more than ever. It is quite sad too, because Dalton gave a hell of a performance in his two that still stand up as great interpretations of the character.

Dalton is underratted i agree but i feel his Bond was in the wrong film TLD. LTK i felt was dark and had a nasty side to it which i feel suited Dalton to a tee. CR, QOS and Skyfall would have suited his Bond and certainly he deserved scripts. Dalton didn't make anything quite in the league of CR or Skyfall. Sad but thats life.

Craig deserves his praise after all the crap he went through plus he's made two of the best films in the franchise. He gets a lot of shit for QoS (he's the bst thing about it) so lets not say he doesn't get his fair share of criticism. Craig brings the A game to his Bond films and any actor who gets a Bafta Nod for best actor for playing James Bond deserves the praise.
    lahaine wrote:

Dalton is underratted i agree but i feel his Bond was in the wrong film TLD. LTK i felt was dark and had a nasty side to it which i feel suited Dalton to a tee. CR, QOS and Skyfall would have suited his Bond and certainly he deserved better scripts. Dalton didn't make anything quite in the league of CR or Skyfall. Sad but thats life.

Craig deserves his praise after all the crap he went through plus he's made two of the best films in the franchise. He gets a lot of shit for QoS (he's the bst thing about it) so lets not say he doesn't get his fair share of criticism. Craig brings the A game to his Bond films and any actor who gets a Bafta Nod for best actor for playing James Bond deserves the praise.
  • RC7RC7
    lahaine wrote:

Dalton is underratted i agree but i feel his Bond was in the wrong film TLD. LTK i felt was dark and had a nasty side to it which i feel suited Dalton to a tee. CR, QOS and Skyfall would have suited his Bond and certainly he deserved scripts. Dalton didn't make anything quite in the league of CR or Skyfall. Sad but thats life.

I have to disagree with your view of Dalton. I actually think TLD is one damn fine Bond film. As a blueprint there is very little I can find fault with. Superb PTS, great title song, neat script, great pacing, interesting locations, slick cinematography, wonderful score, iconic finale, believable Bond girl, great car, good villains (particularly Necros) - I think it easily stacks up against any other Bond film old or new. I watched it after getting back from my 5th SF viewing and still found it as thrilling.

Also, I don't think Craig does get shit for QoS. It's usually blamed on Forster and/or the writer's strike.
    In relation to Brosnan in interviews I've been rather mixed. There's times when he's been very funny (watch the GMTV interview when he's alongside Meryl Streep and he talks about the possibility of "bumping into Craig" when filming Mamma Mia) and there are other times when he comes off as a bit of an awkward, showey poser.It doesn't help that he's said some real zingers in interviews which I'm sure he must regret.
    "This Bond movie has reality, I think its the most reality based one we've done so far"Him talking about DAD
    I liked him in the EoN documentary - especially when he was cracking up over the windsurfing scene. That sometimes comes into my head at work and I can't help but smile.
    RC7 wrote:
    Also, I don't think Craig does get shit for QoS. It's usually blamed on Forster and/or the writer's strike.
    Mainly because he is actually the only decent thing in QoS. Again it is down to plain old quality. Craig is a very good actor, and even when the film itself is poor, his quality was still able to shine through in this film.

Whereas the criticism heaped on Brozza is because his films were weak, and he was weak also in his movies too. The pain face, `he knew about my shoulder, where to hurt me', the ocassional smugness, the hammy overacting.......none of this helped the already poor scripts he was given.

To be fair to Brozza, I've read many people say his best performance was actually in DAD, which is a shame because I find it too difficult to decipher whether his performance was actually any good, down to the film itself being just so gut-wrenchingly awful.

I honestly believe had Craig been in DAD, he wouldn't really have been able to shine through either as the film is that bad, so quality does only get you so far.

BAIN123 wrote:
    "This Bond movie has reality, I think its the most reality based one we've done so far"Him talking about DAD
    I saw that... I'd like to think he hadn't seen a cut of the film yet...
    :))
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    Mainly because he is actually the only decent thing in QoS. Again it is down to plain old quality. Craig is a very good actor, and even when the film itself is poor, his quality was still able to shine through in this film.

Whereas the criticism heaped on Brozza is because his films were weak, and he was weak also in his movies too. The pain face, `he knew about my shoulder, where to hurt me', the ocassional smugness, the hammy overacting.......none of this helped the already poor scripts he was given.

I agree, I wasn't suggesting Craig should get shit for it, I was implying that I don't think even QoS detractors blame it on Craig.

As for Brozza, he didn't help himself but for every hammy bit of acting, he plays a decent scene with a sense of authority. I think his intro with Carver at the CMGN HQ is a decent example. I know Dan has raised the 'acting' bar but I think it's unfair to compare it to Brozza. The intention was never to pitch Broz as the acting saviour of the franchise, he was installed as a good looking action hero who could deliver an almost nostalgic amalgamation of traits rather than a reinvention of character. It doesn't mean you have to like him but I do think it's unfair to criticise him out of context.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    I liked him in the EoN documentary - especially when he was cracking up over the windsurfing scene. That sometimes comes into my head at work and I can't help but smile.

I think that there's a simple explanation for why he made those two statements which are so different regarding DAD. I think that AFTER he saw the response that DAD (and the kiteboarding scene) got he decided that he should change his tune and say that he, as well, didn't like it - in fact, not just how the finished product looked but the very *idea* of the scene when he first read the script! Sure, Pierce... ;-)

Post hoc rationalization is a difficult thing to pull off when people can access your original quotes.

To be fair that first quote I think was when the film was coming out (and he didn't mention the kite surfing anyway, so for all we know he might have never hated that). Every actor has to big up a film then, it's his job. Craig for example praised QOS in a few interviews before but then backtracked and blamed the writers strike once the film came out.

There are plenty of other examples of people working on films doing this.