The Saint (tv series and movies)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Slightly worried by this. It sounds like another 'The Prisoner' MK II. American writer and producer. This should be made by a British creative team. Sorry, there's enough of them!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,333
    M_Balje wrote:
    But the information from above and the actor for lead sound not enough English too me, more like Burn Notice what mabey not be a bad thing but not under the name The Saint.
    Adam Rayner is very English - having seen him in BBC's Hunted a few weeks ago I can vouch for that.
    SaintMark wrote:
    [

NO F*cking DA L-) or his music near the Saint, the darn hack.

I love what he has done on Sherlock.
  • Many moons ago I read the Saint books,he was my god,slightly later Bond.
    Who is the man who butchered both characters when they appeared on screen? Roger Moor.
    Have all the Bond dvd's except R.M.
    The man was a piece of wood.Cannot watch any film with him in it.
    What are is skills? A smile,a frown or raised highbrow
  • St_George wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    debonair international thief Simon Templar (Rayner), a modern day Robin Hood, steals from rich criminals and keeps the loot for himself

How on earth is he a 'modern Robin Hood' if he keeps the money himself? Stupid, self-contradictory press releases; they're seemingly all knocked off by hacks... :))
    It wasn't a press release, just a story written by a couple of the folks at deadline.com, and there's a number of inaccuracies with it.The official press release will be issued shortly.
  • RC7 wrote:
    Slightly worried by this. It sounds like another 'The Prisoner' MK II. American writer and producer. This should be made by a British creative team. Sorry, there's enough of them!
    Whilst I fully understand where you're coming from and tend to agree with you one of the reasons that this has taken so long is that Brad Krevoy (the US producer) has been very upfront about wanting it to be an international show that is true to the original character.

The sad fact is that if you want a show to appeal to the US networks then, by and large, you need a US showrunner. And the US and the UK are the two biggest markets for this show.

We have an English leading man and an English director for the pilot. We also have a number of creative folks on board who are most definitely English and pretty much have the Saint in their blood.

Ian
  • RC7RC7
    The sad fact is that if you want a show to appeal to the US networks then, by and large, you need a US showrunner. And the US and the UK are the two biggest markets for this show.

Don't I know! Sounds good though and I am eager to see if they pull it off.
  • More from deadline.com:

Buffy The Vampire Slayer alumna Eliza Dushku is set to co-star opposite Adam Rayner in The Saint, a backdoor pilot from Brad Krevoy’s film and TV production company MPCA. No network has been attached. Simon West is directing the pilot from a script by Jesse Alexander. Alexander is set as showrunner of the project, a new take on Leslie Charteris’ The Saint 70-book franchise. It will follow the exploits of Simon Templar (Rayner), a brilliant criminal who uses his considerable illicit skills as a modern-day Robin Hood as he infuriates local law enforcement and woos Patricia Holm (Dushku), his on-again, off-again romance.

Roger Moore, who played Templar in Lew Grade’s popular 1962 Saint British TV series, has joined as a co-producer along with with his son Geoffrey Moore, Lulu Moore, and Louisa Macdonald. Author Ian Dickerson, an expert on the history of Charteris’ creation, will serve as a creative consultant. Krevoy, Alexander, and Roman Viaris will executive produce and have teamed with Silverscreen Pictures in Los Angeles and Canadian producer Fred Fuchs to start production on Friday in Los Angeles, Toronto, and London. The backdoor pilot is being cast by Mandy Sherman and Sari Knight of Sherman/Knight casting (Lost). MPCA’s TV division is backing the project through independent financing, with the company’s Francisco J. González handling international sales and Michael MacDermott handling product placement. The Saint has been adapted to 15 feature films, most recently in 1997 by Paramount with Val Kilmer in the lead.

Dushku, who also toplined the cult Fox drama Dollhouse, is repped by The Collective, UTA and attorney Ryan Levine. The Saint is repped by CAA, the Charteris estate is repped by attorney David Wardlow.
    Eliza Dushku as Patricia Holm is a somewhat baffeling choice for me, when I see Patricia in my mind reading the books it would resemble more Diane Kruger in the Tarantino "Basterds" movie.
    But she will undoubtely play a character of of equal strength like the PC choice would be these days. Honestly permits me to say that she was indeed a heroine of strenght in those pre-WOII stories by Leslie Charteris.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Eliza Dushku posted this picture a few minutes ago on Twitter:

#TheSaint Craving new & delicious International Espionage? #SimonWest #AdamRayner RT

1023ba6c4ac211e28a0c22000a9d0ded_7.jpg

I'm glad it's finally happening. I'm looking forward to this, even though I doubt they can match the original series. At least it can't be worse than the 1997 film.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Actually, I loved the 1997 film. Truly.
    I enjoyed the series with Roger so much, but I will try to catch this one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm in.
    Enough talent pushing it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Next stop is someone choosing to air this and make it into a series. Come September this could be a massive hit or outright flop. I really hope this works.

Good luck all!
  • RC7RC7
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I really hope this works

Me too. I'm crapping myself about Simon West doing it though. He's the last director on earth I'd choose to make this. I'm worried it'll be action packed rather than classy and restrained.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Sounding better & better!
    Samuel001 wrote:

Looking forward to seeing this now that it has finally got the green light! :-bd
    Not yet, this is just the pilot. Though it makes a change to shop an idea around with an episode complete and should give a better chance of someone wanting to make it into a series.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Is it for the American or British TV?
    American I believe.
  • gt007 wrote:
    Eliza Dushku posted this picture a few minutes ago on Twitter:

#TheSaint Craving new & delicious International Espionage? #SimonWest #AdamRayner RT

1023ba6c4ac211e28a0c22000a9d0ded_7.jpg

I'm glad it's finally happening. I'm looking forward to this, even though I doubt they can match the original series. At least it can't be worse than the 1997 film.

Wow, she looks fantastic. Funny to say it about a picture of her wearing sunglasses but that's the best I've ever seen her look. Pure glamour!

I really enjoyed the Kilmer film but that was my first exposure to the character, so I had no expectations to shatter or disappoint. A small, forgotten detail about the film is that it was the first major release to have a "techno" soundtrack, which made it all the more cool at the time.

And here is the cast as known so far:

The Cast

•Adam Rayner, Simon Templar alias The Saint
    •Eliza Dushku, Patricia Holm
    •Enrique Murciano, Inspector John Henry Fernack
    •Greg Grunberg, Detective Garces
    Sir Roger Moore, Jasper, The Banker
    Ian Ogilivy, The Fixer
    •Thomas Kretschmann, Rayt Marius
    •Oliver Bell, Young Simon Templar
    •Kirsty Mitchell, Simon’s Mother
    •Yani Gellman, Doyle Cosentino
    •James Remar, Arnie Valecross
    •Beatrice Rosen, Katherine Valecross
    •Sammi Hanratty, Zooey Valecross
    •Michael Ornstein, Kal Barko
    •Sonalii Castillo, Sonali Alves
    •Jason Brooks, Captain Miller

For the Saint fans there are two names that should put a smile on your face. O:-)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2012 Posts: 4,416
    I see the '''new'' actor Enrique Murciano from CSI also get a part in this pilot. Funny be that in CSI his chacter having a relation ship with a chacter who is played by Elisabeth Shue and she playing in the Saint movie of 1997.

He have a bit of that mystery Don Draper from Mad Men also have.

Don't know or like the idea of Roger Moore as none Saint chacter get a part in this new series, because cameo from the ''real'' Starsky and Hutch at the end of tarsky and Hutch the movie runed it for me.

Also iam curious or we get a Saint who go to talk against the viewer as i see in the first season. From season 4 and 5 i can't remember that. Making a pilot sound for country's besides the country where the pilot is made for (England) not enough, possible we will never see this pilot on Dutch tv.
  • gt007 wrote:
    The hope is to sell it to both a UK and a US network. We've also had a lot of interest from other countries (France, Germany, Italy etc.).
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    A co-production then? That could really work well.
    gt007 wrote:
    The hope is to sell it to both a UK and a US network. We've also had a lot of interest from other countries (France, Germany, Italy etc.).
    What do you mean by that? Is the location or what? What about Australia,Asia & New Zealand viewers. We love the Saint. So we should get here in the Pacific.
  • Both prospective sale to a TV network and as a possible co-production partner.
    Agent7F wrote:
    gt007 wrote:
    What do you mean by that? Is the location or what? What about Australia,Asia & New Zealand viewers. We love the Saint. So we should get here in the Pacific.

I would certainly hope we would see here in the UK?
  • Is this going to be one of those international shows that seem to be the future (I hope they will be the future, as I love the creative mixture of cultures it will bring) like the new Transporter film (produces from American, Germany, England and France, and aimed at whatever channel picks it up in each country, a bit like an independent series idea, which I really like)?

Anyway, I'm in. I'm a big fan of both Eliza Dushku and Greg Grunberg, as well as Sir Rog of course. I also like most of Simon West's work (Tomb Raider, Expendables 2, Human Target Pilot, Con Air)
  • Whilst I know what you mean, having tried to watch the first episode in the Transporter TV show I really must rush to distance The Saint from that model. I'm usually a sucker for that sort of show but it was awful. A horrible euro-pudding that smacked of putting the production deal several miles before the script.

One reason The Saint has been so long in development is because we want to do it right. We want to maintain the creative vision that we all hold; so many networks have expressed an interest in the Saint as a brand but not the character.

This current iteration has been eight years in development and I've been involved on and off for the whole period. Although I'm obviously biased I've become something of a hardened cynic, we've come so close so many times over the years only for it to fall by the wayside for one reason or another.

But you know what, although I'm not enamoured of a couple of points in the script I've been watching the dailies and I'm very happy. Adam is a brilliant Saint, Enrique is a marvellous Fernack.

We'll see what gets shot after Christmas and what comes out in the edit, but for now I'm really hopeful.