Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Unique looking, but I have no interest in owning the film. It was well below mediocre for me, and even though I love a good steelbook, I can't warrant picking this up for any price. If the editing wasn't so dodgy (I'm looking at you, too, 'Taken 2') and the ending wasn't incredibly anticlimactic, I might have enjoyed it much more.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Unique looking, but I have no interest in owning the film. It was well below mediocre for me, and even though I love a good steelbook, I can't warrant picking this up for any price. If the editing wasn't so dodgy (I'm looking at you, too, 'Taken 2') and the ending wasn't incredibly anticlimactic, I might have enjoyed it much more.
    The film was okay, but a Bourne film with no Bourne= No purchase from me.
    I didn't understand that, either, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. They kept throwing Bourne's name around in the film, too, just to keep the audience alerted and held out for the possibility of him appearing. Renner =/= Damon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I didn't understand that, either, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. They kept throwing Bourne's name around in the film, too, just to keep the audience alerted and held out for the possibility of him appearing. Renner =/= Damon.
    I understand that what Bourne is doing has an effect on events you see in the film (his legacy, har har), but why couldn't they just separate the Cross film and subsequent possible sequels from the series? The Cross (fill in word here) could have been a title for this film and left Bourne's trilogy unscathed. Now all we get is Bourne 4 and a tarnished film series thanks to this disappointing egg.
    I suppose they found it to be a lot more marketable (and easier on the minds of the audience who debated on seeing this garbage, including myself) to just throw 'Bourne' in the title and keep it, as it's easily recognizable. 'The Cross Idiocy,' for example, might confuse people who will question if it's in the same exact realm or not. You never know.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I suppose they found it to be a lot more marketable (and easier on the minds of the audience who debated on seeing this garbage, including myself) to just throw 'Bourne' in the title and keep it, as it's easily recognizable. 'The Cross Idiocy,' for example, might confuse people who will question if it's in the same exact realm or not. You never know.

Or, as Paul Greengrass mused during the making of Ultimatum: The Bourne Redundancy. And how right he was! :))
    Creasy47 wrote:

Or, as Paul Greengrass mused during the making of Ultimatum: The Bourne Redundancy. And how right he was! :))

:))

Ahh, such a real shame how this film turned out. Come to think of it, I realize that out of all of the new games and movies I've played and watched this year, respectively, have fallen into one of two categories: a 'terrible letdown,' or a 'beautiful piece of work.'

The former: 'Hitman: Absolution' and 'The Bourne Legacy'
    The latter: 'Mass Effect 3' and 'Skyfall'

The list goes on and on.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    A fifth Bourne film is in development according to Universal. For now, that's all we know.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    A fifth Bourne film is in development according to Universal. For now, that's all we know.

Weeeee... :|
    Samuel001 wrote:

That's all I need to know. Damon said he won't return unless Greengrass does, so I'm guessing this will be another fast-cut Renner flick. He has good potential, but 'Legacy' was a god-awful letdown. That editing just killed any possibility of it being good. Come to think of it, 'Taken 2' was another one I really anticipated that was ruined by editing.
    Jeremy Renner returns as Aaron Cross in...

The
    Bourne
    Redundancy

Tagline: YES, WE'RE DOING ANOTHER ONE
  • Jeremy Renner returns as Aaron Cross in...

The
    Bourne
    Redundancy

This. I think they'd be better off writing Renner his own unique action series rather than lumping him together with the Damon trilogy.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Jeremy Renner returns as Aaron Cross in...

The
    Bourne
    Redundancy

This. I think they'd be better off writing Renner his own unique action series rather than lumping him together with the Damon trilogy.
    It isn't even that Legacy was a bad film, but it was missing Matt who is synonymous with the Bourne trilogy and character, and the film didn't really do anything to build on the past films or do anything significant on itself either. I will revisit the film in the future, but I just can't help but scratch my head and wonder why the hell the film was made in the first place when we got such a great ending in Ultimatum.
    It's a money maker. That was the only reason. Clearly Universal think they can get more money still, by doing another one.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It's a money maker. That was the only reason. Clearly Universal think they can get more money still, by doing another one.

I knew that, I was just venting. You would think that at least one studio would quit thinking about the money and care about the fans. Ha, that won't ever happen.
    If the next one does even less than Legacy we shouldn't have to worry about any more - until they reboot it.
    I liked Legacy and will likely check out a sequel but is it me or does Renner fit the character of Macgyver like a glove....
    Samuel001 wrote:
    If the next one does even less than Legacy we shouldn't have to worry about any more - until they reboot it.
    If they actually attempted to make a brave and substance filled film they wouldn't have to worry about this money issue or rebooting it at all. If they were going to do a fourth film, they should have made it worth it.
    I just had way too many complaints with 'Legacy' to show the least bit of excitement for a fifth film.
    Risico007 wrote:
    I liked Legacy and will likely check out a sequel but is it me or does Renner fit the character of Macgyver like a glove....

I did like Renner in the Bourne legacy and found the movie good enough to warrant a visit to the sequel. (I did get free tickets from the movie company to see it, I admit. Would have paid money to see it anyhow).

I really did like the drone sequence in this movie.
    If the new one actually stars Jason Bourne then I'll be excited.

Legacy was good but far from great and I'm not interested in a sequel to that at all.
    I did not see the fourth Bourne. Not only because the absence of Damon, but because it seemed to me that it was going way too far in the realm of scifi. Wasn't the Bourne franchise supposed to be realistic?
    Ludovico wrote:
    I did not see the fourth Bourne. Not only because the absence of Damon, but because it seemed to me that it was going way too far in the realm of scifi. Wasn't the Bourne franchise supposed to be realistic?

I did see it but the scifi realm must have been your interpretation since it went no where near to anything that resembles scifi, it only deals with the program of creating improved agents the one Jason Bourne was a product of as well. It was still a realistic movie with acceptable stunts within the realm of possibility.

Wasn't the new ''Bourne'' a genetically enhanced human? That goes way beyond the realm of espionnage and contemporary world. I am saying this carefully, after all I did not see the movie, but that put me off seeing it.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 7,653
    Ludovico wrote:
    Wasn't the new ''Bourne'' a genetically enhanced human? That goes way beyond the realm of espionnage and contemporary world. I am saying this carefully, after all I did not see the movie, but that put me off seeing it.

He was a genetically enhanced human just like Jason Bourne was, nothing supermanlike just slightly quicker than the average human. The movie never had a scifi edge to it unlike the 007 series on occasion which has always been far more spy-fy than the Bourne series.

SaintMark wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

He was a genetically enhanced human just like Jason Bourne was, nothing supermanlike just slightly quicker than the average human. The movie never had a scifi edge to it unlike the 007 series on occasion which has always been far more spy-fy than the Bourne series.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Bourne a trained and conditioned human?
    Ludovico wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Bourne a trained and conditioned human?

He was so far as we found out.

The Renner version was similary trained and conditioned and given "drugs" to improve his performance. His level of skills depended on it with a withdrawel he would lose too much of his enhancement/conditioning.

Bourne isn't genetically improved like Cross; I don't know where people got that idea. I saw Cross as an agent part of a new effort post Bourne and Treadstone that was testing human genetic enhancement for their agents.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Bourne isn't genetically improved like Cross; I don't know where people got that idea. I saw Cross as an agent part of a new effort post Bourne and Treadstone that was testing human genetic enhancement for their agents.

Yes, Bourne was just a highly trained Treadstone op. Although I shouldn't say "just." The training produced uber-deadly agents.
    timmer wrote:

Yes, Bourne was just a highly trained Treadstone op. Although I shouldn't say "just." The training produced uber-deadly agents.

I don't think I am missing anything then. This is not so far as the invisible car IMO, when scifi gets in the way of what one would plausibly expect from a spy thriller.