The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

My ex thought Dalton was the best looking. My fiance now prefers Brosnan and Craig.

Another reason for divorce when a woman shows such bad taste in men. ;)
  • SaintMark wrote:
    My ex thought Dalton was the best looking. My fiance now prefers Brosnan and Craig.

Agreed! At least the new one sounds like she is extraordinarily cultivated! ;)
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    and why Dalton was not given a third try.

He wasn't given a 3rd try because there were tons of legal issues and he didn't want to hang around any longer waiting, so he left.
    SaintMark wrote:

We were never married, we just went out for a bit. She definetly had the best taste in Bond films from the girls I've been out with who had seen the movies.
  • I'm re-posting this so that it's on the new page...
    I will admit to you Daltonites that your beloved Tim did some interesting things with Bond in his two films, and I have recently begun to appreciate his performances more than I did in the past. However, their can be no denying that Tim has nothing on Sean, because as much as Dalton may have done that was interesting or new, Sean not only pioneered the role, he embodied it by creating the character in his own image in a way that was wildly popular and hugely successful. Dalton also tried to re-create the character but he wasn't being honest to himself, he was putting on an act, and it showed. This is perhaps why his tenure in the role was cut short because Tim was not a natural Bond, while Sean was effortless in the role because for the most part he isn't acting at all. This is why Sean has an unparalleled magic on screen which cannot be beat, and why Dalton was not given a third try.
  • RC7RC7
    Dalton also tried to re-create the character but he wasn't being honest to himself, he was putting on an act, and it showed.

Tim was not a natural Bond, while Sean was effortless

This is why Sean has an unparalleled magic on screen which cannot be beat, and why Dalton was not given a third try.

Misguided and wholly inaccurate. IMO Dalton was ahead of his time. This has nothing to do with Sean and I'm sure there are ample threads to discuss the merits of Connery.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I'm re-posting this so that it's on the new page...
    I will admit to you Daltonites that your beloved Tim did some interesting things with Bond in his two films, and I have recently begun to appreciate his performances more than I did in the past. However, their can be no denying that Tim has nothing on Sean, because as much as Dalton may have done that was interesting or new, Sean not only pioneered the role, he embodied it by creating the character in his own image in a way that was wildly popular and hugely successful. Dalton also tried to re-create the character but he wasn't being honest to himself, he was putting on an act, and it showed. This is perhaps why his tenure in the role was cut short because Tim was not a natural Bond, while Sean was effortless in the role because for the most part he isn't acting at all. This is why Sean has an unparalleled magic on screen which cannot be beat, and why Dalton was not given a third try.

Again, Dalton was given a 3rd try, it got held up due to legal issues and he left.

This is a Dalton appreciation thread, not a "meh, he was ok but CONNERY WAS AWESOME!!!" thread.
    RC7 wrote:
    IMO Dalton was ahead of his time.

Definetly. And now people are realising that and he's getting more popular. Brosnan and Craig have praised Dalton in that book with all the interviews, Simon Pegg called him the best Bond because he did something different, etc.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Connery needed guidance from Young to play the part (not to mention a succession of dodgy wigs), Dalton didn't, that's all i'm saying. ;)
  • Connery needed guidance from Young to play the part (not to mention a succession of dodgy wigs), Dalton didn't, that's all i'm saying. ;)

Yeah I think Connery was great but I also think he was helped lots by everything around him.

Brosnan played a similar Bond. If Brosnan was in the Connery films at the time and Connery starred in only DAD, would Connery still be mostly thought of as the best Bond ever?

I think Connery was brilliant, I said on another thread he's not my favourite but he's the definition of Bond. But he was helped by the films he was in.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dalton also tried to re-create the character but he wasn't being honest to himself, he was putting on an act, and it showed.
    Epic Fail -A mistake of such monumental proportions that it requires its own term in order to sucessfully point out the unfathomable shortcomings

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,243

You really need to read Cubby's book before you throw about the inaccurate natural assertions. Like another poster pointed out, Sean took work and of course he was acting. Connery before Bond was very rough and nothing like Bond in the manners department. So much for not acting then.

How is it that so called Bond fans like you, do not even get the facts right about the 6 year legal battle which prevented Bond from being filmed for close to 6 years. That is what cut short Dalton's tenure. Had there been no hiatus then the next film would have been in '91 as well as '93. Dalton had a three film contract. Those contracts are set in stone,

Dalton said he would not play Bond at 50 and in 1994 he was 50. He was asked to sign on for another three but said he was not prepared to commit so he walked away.

And Dalton had heaps of presence. He is a man you would take notice of. And for your information, when he was cast, Connery said "He was a very good choice".

• edited December 2012 Posts: 173
    A Man out of Time: Timothy Dalton as James Bond

http://a-mighty-fine-blog.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-man-out-of-time-timothy-dalton-as.html

Also, just a taste of a forum (not Bond-centric) and the general impression on Dalton from the people posting on TLD's thread.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/128513-bond-50-living-daylights-high-def-digest-review.html
    Regan wrote:
    A Man out of Time: Timothy Dalton as James Bond

http://a-mighty-fine-blog.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-man-out-of-time-timothy-dalton-as.html

Also, just a taste of a forum (not Bond-centric) and the general impression on Dalton from the people posting on TLD's thread.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/128513-bond-50-living-daylights-high-def-digest-review.html
    Excellent Regan!!! Thanks!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Excellent Regan!!! Thanks!

You're welcome! Some of the things I come across are just too good not to share :D
    Following The Nerd

http://www.followingthenerd.com/movies/watch-oliver-retro-reviews-the-living-daylights/

Includes a video of Siskel & Ebert, discussing TLD back in the day.
    Edit: included within the actual current video review.
    Once again Regan, thank you SO much for your detective work.
    And it reminds me again how incredibly lucky we were that NBC extended Brosnan's contract for the Remington Steele TV series (sorry Broz, but you got your shot later anyway) that allowed the offer to be sent to Dalton again.
    When I was a young dopey kid I thought Dalton's films weren't 'big' enough (having no hollowed out volcano lairs or orbiting lasers), now I love them all the more for the less-is-more route they took.

^:)^
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    And it reminds me again how incredibly lucky we were that NBC extended Brosnan's contract for the Remington Steele TV series (sorry Broz, but you got your shot later anyway) that allowed the offer to be sent to Dalton again.
    When I was a young dopey kid I thought Dalton's films weren't 'big' enough (having no hollowed out volcano lairs or orbiting lasers), now I love them all the more for the less-is-more route they took.

It's called realism. ;)
    It's called realism. ;)
    The little things wow me now, like kicking the glass out to get the wind current for his 'chute, or drawing his gun on the little girl holding the balloons... the 'big' things are the stuff of obviousness and easy to do (albeit maybe not budget-wise).
    chrisisall wrote:

Thank you!! And I agree about being fortunate that NBC snatched Brosnan away at the last minute.

By the way, has anyone here heard about these books by Charles Helfenstain?

http://spyvibe.blogspot.com/2012/12/essential-bond.html

Apparently TLD's just came out. I WANT THIS BOOK! Pity it's a little pricey but I reckon it'd be worth it.

OMG I want that... what can I sell-?
    chrisisall wrote:
    OMG I want that... what can I sell-?

I know... 50 bucks and I wonder how much shipping and handling would be all the way here. But I'm already thinking about how to make it happen... come hell or high water.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,882
    Regan wrote:
    Thank you!! And I agree about being fortunate that NBC snatched Brosnan away at the last minute.

Apparently TLD's just came out. I WANT THIS BOOK! Pity it's a little pricey but I reckon it'd be worth it.

I did not know about that book, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

You are welcome @MajorDSmythe.

A couple of nice new discussions on Dalton:

Timothy Dalton Discussion Part 1

Timothy Dalton Discussion Part 2
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Regan wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

If that guy ever does a version for CR or FRWL, my money is his!!!
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,243
    Yo Dalton fans and people blessed with good taste! :)

Here is a recent great interview with John Glen where he talks how ahead of his time Tim was. http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/article/1299261--john-glen-james-bond-s-main-director-q-a

And a happy Christmas to you all!
    Regan wrote:

You are welcome @MajorDSmythe.

A couple of nice new discussions on Dalton:

Timothy Dalton Discussion Part 1

Timothy Dalton Discussion Part 2

Miss Regan. Nice one. I watched it days ago and had a feeling you know your way around Youtube as well as I do! :)

• Dalton for M after Fiennes! It will never happen but he would make a fantastic M :D
    Sir Timothy Dalton was great as James Bond. Dalton is the Bond actor who favors the look of Ian Fleming's James Bond. If Fleming was alive during pre-production/casting for TLD, he would be a fan of Dalton as Bond.
    It is a real pity that Fleming didn't get to see Timothy Dalton's portrayal of Bond. I'm sure he would of been proud enough
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It is a real pity that Fleming didn't get to see Timothy Dalton's portrayal of Bond. I'm sure he would of been proud enough

I'm sure of that too. Dalton took the part back to its roots, what better compliment could Fleming have been served? I deeply respect Dalton for that.

DarthDimi wrote:
    Dalton took the part back to its roots, what better compliment could Fleming have been served? I deeply respect Dalton for that.
    A pity that it took a post-9-11 world to bring about the acceptance of a grittier Bond (Craig) and in turn, the final appreciation of a Bond before his time (Dalton).