Jaws : Carnivore or Clown ?

Comments

I'm not against the character, but I'm not a big fan of either of his movies, and this is due to their silliness, so....

Carnivore: 5
    Clown: 12
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting lalala2004: I'm not against the character, but I'm not a big fan of either of his movies, and this is due to their silliness, so....

Hmmm, if - as you admitted - you voted with the films most in mind rather than the character, why did you bother to vote at all...? :-?
    Perhaps I should have explained myself more completely: He is a big part of what made them silly.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting lalala2004: Perhaps I should have explained myself more completely: He is a big part of what made them silly.
    Ah, I see - but you're no fun, lala... ;)
    Just because I think he's a clown? Some people find clowns to be fun....

(I don't, I think they're creepy, but still....)
    Unfortunately, Jaws was messed up by Moonraker. He started out in TSWLM as a carnivore, an excellent henchmen and a worthy adversary, but was then turned around in full force into a clown with a ridiculous girlfriend in pig-tails. The fact that he turned good at the end of the movie didn't improve the mess either. Thank goodness Everything or Nothing included Jaws as a villain once more!

Clown: 13
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Carnivore: 6

A very memorable character in 2 very good movies... But MR takes the advantage, IMO !!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Carnivore: 7

TSWLM is why I make this choice. Frankly, the clownishness of Jaws in MR is hard to deny but overall, I like the mostly scary appearance of Jaws in especially TSWLM.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Oops thought Clown was on top...

Corrected score:

Carnivore: 6
    Clown: 14
    Can we do half scores?

Carnivore:6
    Clown:15
    Can we do half scores?
    Can we 'correct' the scores by switching the counts around...? ;)

Definitely agree, MR made him a complete clown. I still loved the character, but I wished they had stuck to him being the menacing villain.

Carnivore:6
    Clown:16
    I can't make my mind up on the one way or the other so I'm gonna have to go like this, my apologies.

Carnivore:6.5
    Clown:16.5

I thought in TSWLM he was a very menacing villain and posed a great threat, whilst in MR he just doesn't have the threat he posed before.

Hope it's ok to have done that.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 2,107

I just thought he was a clown in both of his appearances.
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Corrected score, as @SharkBait stopped reading at page 1... ;-)

Carnivore: 6.5
    Clown: 17.5
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 3,494
    Make it 18 or 18.5 for clown. Even before Dolly and the Moonraker PTS ruined what was left of the character, Jaws was already damaged goods by the end of TSWLM. He turned into a hallmark of the 1977-1979 era that reflected a near complete lack of realism in the series, and it's a bit of a shame because he could have been the best adversary Bond had since Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Was he human? Was he the "Terminator" prototype? Making a clear decision in that direction would have helped the character IMHO.
    He was sort of a "real" character in TSWLM, even if he did survive too many deathly fates that no one else could handle, but then again, you do always hear about those lucky people who survive an unspeakable near-death experience. Perhaps his escapes were somewhat plausible. He would have been an absolute perfect 10 out of 10 villain if not for Moonraker. There was a thought of Jaws returning a third time for FYEO, but it was ultimately dropped. If they had done FYEO after TSWLM originally, then maybe Jaws wouldn't have been ruined.
    Saw this in archives and I thought Kiel was more carnivore than clown so to speak, I remember him for the most part, as a steel jawed behemoth that radiated menace, rather than his lesser return in Moonraker. They really shouldn't have brought the character back again, and what with all the nonsense in Space etc, if they had left him out and kept Bond on the ground, it could of been all so much better in '79

Jaws had a great debut in Spy, the bit where he appears in the closet on the train ride with Amasova is genuinely creepy, and his despatching of Kalba and Fekkesh would be quite unnerving for younger viewers. I think the idea of an 'indestructible Bond villain' is a bit of a nonsense, but as a one off (or two) it kind of fits into the series, we've had an array of different adversaries with various characteristics and measurements since time began and here was no different. My major concerns regarding the character was not really the return but what was done to him, i.e the falling in love with the little diminutive woman in Moonraker (that was stronger than him) , uttering a few lines of dialog near the end, and the stupid cringeworthy fall on to the circus tent with it. I think they simply harmed the integrity of the Spy who loved me Jaws character with all that nonsense, Kiel went from a believable intimidating monster one year, to a bit of an ass clown the next, but I think all said, and if we weigh up both releases, I went with remembering Jaws as a more unnerving and intimidating character rather than the nonsense he portrayed in his second appearance
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    jaguar007 wrote:
    <blockquote><a href="/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/5228#Comment_5228">Quoting RogueThunderball</a>: Should have been a carnivore but MR turned him into a Clown!
    </blockquote>

I agree with this. Right now I am grateful for the clown Jaws because I have a 6 year old son who has never seen an entire James Bond movie, but bits and pieces of a few of them. Jaws automatically became his favorite character. Just this past weekend he wanted me to get a picture of Jaws so he could copy it and draw a Jaws picture. He did a great picture (for a 6 year old) and my wife posted it on Facebook. We are both facebook friends with Richard Kiel ( I have met him twice) and he saw the picture, told us to send it to him and he would autograph it for free and send it back. He is such a nice guy

That's pretty damn cool! Must of been a damn good picture!
    He was played for some laughs in TSWLM but for the most part he had some real menace.

In MR he just there for comic relief( like this picture did not have enough already and a rubber snake to boot)
    Drax called it 'his pet python' but I always thought it was an anaconda, indigenous to Brazil and South America, so that would make a certain amount of sense, where the scene was supposed to feature, not all up on snake recognition in my defense. I like the way Bond always has the required gadget to get out of any predicament in the series, as with here, a sort of trick pen that he uses to kill the serpent, it's one of the better sequences in the film actually, and then Jaws appears and Moore looks up and you can read it in his face -, 'Why don't you just push off' etc and he lifts him out the water and Bond takes a shot at him which of course has no effect whatsoever

There was even talk of John Glen having him back for For Your Eyes Only, but it's a real relief that never saw the light of day

Clown: 11
    Legend: 2
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2012 Posts: 12,459
    I get what everyone is saying and I don't like how they made a clown out of him ... but I remember him best as menacing in TSWLM. So I am voting carnivore.
  • Make that 7.5 for 'Carnivore'

Yes, he was a joke in MR, but I'm counting Everything or Nothing (where he is really menacing) so that makes 2 where he's a carnivore and only one where he's a clown. Alas, I vote carnivore.
    They ruined the Jaws charactor in Moonraker, they should have kept him the same as TSWLM.
    Would love to see a new interpration of Jaws in the Craig era. Kevin Durand (Wolverine, Walking Tall, Robin Hood) would be good, albeit slightly shorter than Kiel
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Would love to see a new interpration of Jaws in the Craig era. Kevin Durand (Wolverine, Walking Tall, Robin Hood) would be good, albeit slightly shorter than Kiel

NO! Nobody but Keil should play Jaws. Give Craig a new henchman.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I have to say clown. The "van tearing" scene in TSWLM was a sign of how downhill things would go in MR.

He should have died in the MR PTS.
    LeChiffre wrote:

NO! Nobody but Keil should play Jaws. Give Craig a new henchman.

I