Bond theme at the end of OHMSS

Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
edited December 2012 in Music Posts: 403
Why, why, why, why, WHY did they put the Bond theme at the end of OHMSS? Granted, it is a rousing rendition of the theme but it does not belong at the end considering that Tracy had just been murdered by Blofeld and he got away. This is in my opinion a huge misstep by Hunt and the producers and totally destroys the tone of the scene and that iconic last shot.

Comments

• I don't mind it. I think it sounds as if Bond is ready to kick some ass after her death, something that sadly never happened.
  • It symbolizes the fact that despite Bond being down, he most certainly wasn't out and that'd he'd return. I've also always felt that the redition of the theme used at the end always sounded eerie and just screamed that "Bond's Back!"
  • MaxRebo120 wrote:
    I don't mind it. I think it sounds as if Bond is ready to kick some ass after her death, something that sadly never happened.

This. Plus it's quite possibly my favorite rendition of the theme.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    I've heard this argument before. So is the audience supposed to cheer when Tracy gets gunned down? I know that this is a movie focussed on James Bond, but Hunt clearly wants us to sympathize with Tracy and have an emotional reaction to her death. But then he seems to also want to portray Bond-the-man-who-can't-be tied down. You can't have it both ways.

The way it's shown Tracy may as well be another disposable woman who leaves no impact on Bond. My feelings of sorrow towards the Tracy character are completely wiped away when I realize that, "Wait a minute, Bond is triumphant after all! He'll be back in the next one the exact same person who is not affected at all by his wife's murder!"
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Why, why, why, why, WHY did they put the Bond theme at the end of OHMSS? Granted, it is a rousing rendition of the theme but it does not belong at the end considering that Tracy had just been murdered by Blofeld and he got away. This is in my opinion a huge misstep by Hunt and the producers and totally destroys the tone of the scene and that iconic last shot.

I agree with this. It's one of the weaker points of the film.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 202
    Because John Barry was awesome.

Next question.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 55
    I've heard this argument before. So is the audience supposed to cheer when Tracy gets gunned down?

I agree that the use of the cue is misguided, and spoils the mood of the ending. But, one could read it as an attempt to show the cold nature of Bond - that he very quickly bounces back from tragedy, and buries the hurt deep beneath his outer shell (similar to the Bond theme at the end of CR, or his treatment of Mathis' corpse in QoS). I don't know if that was the conscious intent of the filmmakers; but there's a moment earlier in OHMSS when Draco tells Bond that Tracy "needs a man to dominate her," and Barry inserts a very ominous few notes of the "James Bond Theme" - a little commentary on the darker side of the character. The use of the Bond Theme at the end could be viewed as a callback to that - not necessarily a "stand up and cheer" moment, but a signal that he's back to being the cold, macho killing machine.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 55
    (This was a double post - mod please delete. Sorry 'bout that.)
  • MaxRebo120 wrote:
    I don't mind it. I think it sounds as if Bond is ready to kick some ass after her death, something that sadly never happened.

This. Plus it's quite possibly my favorite rendition of the theme.

Absolutely agree with both of you! :-)

Ya the theme completely destroys the mood. Why make a point that Bond can move on quickly if this is readily apparent (especially in the next one, where there is no mention of Tracy at all)?
  • I also dislike the theme right after Tracy's death. But the thing I do like about it is how hollow it sounds after her death. Yeah, it's a great and upbeat rendition, but because of the scene it just doesn't sink in. It's a nice paradox.
  • It's one of the grooviest renditions of the Bond theme and I think it fits perfectly where it is. The scene with Tracy is very moving but in my view it wouldn't have been right to have ended like that. I think this way it reminds us that it is, after all, a Bond movie.
    It ends the film in a more upbeat way I think.
    In my list of bad musical cues, it comes close to the top. Not as bad as the slide whistle, but close.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This belongs in the Bond music section.
    Sorry didn't know there was a music section too haha.
  • I think QoS suffers with the same sort of ending as OHMSS. Quantum should have opened with a gunbarrel and ended with "I never miss." The Bond theme in OHMSS and the gunbarrel in QoS ruin the otherwise somber endings they had.
  • Who's that fool in one of the above responses

I haven't seen On Her Majestys Secret Service for a long time, and know of course the Bond theme is there at the end, but right now, just can't recall it. I will have to have another watch when able. Yes the film ended on a sad note with the death of Bond's wife, but playing the traditional theme at the end, is it really such a bad thing ?

It's exactly the same thing with Royale in that Bond lost a loved one towards the end, and they play the Bond theme also, and I think it's quite fitting actually. I'd rather have that than some sorrowful or morose music at the end and people leaving theaters feeling all bad about what they've seen. Yes I think the traditional Bond music at the end was fitting both times, in that Bond will be back and continue with his work and future objectives
    At the end of CR, Bond had just captured Mr. White and in a sense had "become" Bond. OHMSS we're supposed to feel for Bond but the Bond theme completely underscores the mood that Hunt is trying to go for.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited December 2012 Posts: 5,958
    I haven't seen On Her Majestys Secret Service for a long time, and know of course the Bond theme is there at the end, but right now, just can't recall it. I will have to have another watch when able. Yes the film ended on a sad note with the death of Bond's wife, but playing the traditional theme at the end, is it really such a bad thing ?
    OHMSS and CR are my two favorite films. However, CR solved the problem of OHMSS--how not to end on a total downer (for the cinematic Bond, that is). CR gave us the tragic moment and then a few minutes of Bond triumphing over Mr. White. OHMSS put all that on the Maestro, and even though it's a superb version of the theme, it's a heavy and quick lift and doesn't quite work because of its abruptness. They should have just ended with the instrumental "We Have All The Time in the World."

SF basically copied the CR ending, tragedy/sadness followed by a triumphant scene. (I don't see "I never left" in QoS as a downer but as Bond affirming his duty.)
  • I think 'All the Time ...' followed by the Bond theme is quite in keeping with the series. The Bond theme hints that Bond will not go down and when he picks himself up revenge will be on his menu.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,143
    It works for me. It snaps you out of the sadness of his loss with the realisation that we're going to get Bond back and he's going to be pretty pissed off. Unfortunately this was not then going to be the revenge flick that should have been DAF.
  • Never questioned the bond theme at end of OHMSS, think it fits perfectly. The tragic moment at the end of the film is not dwelled upon, making it more potent for me.
  • I actually showed OHMSS to a friend of mine recently and I could tell he was completely engrossed by the entire film and we were both silent after the death scene, however when the Bond theme kicked in he just burst out laughing which was sad for me as it clearly ruined it for him. When I first watched it I had a similar reaction to my friend, I found it very disrespectful to the Tracy character and to the film on the whole.

However with subsequent viewings I now really like it as it wraps up that dark moment in Bond's life quickly without requiring a revenge sequel like QoS. For me personally it's added a slight sad quality to the Bond theme when used in the films that followed as it now also represents Bond forcing himself to move on and to hide the pain with bravado, for me anyway.
    Yes, yes, I understand all of that, so why does Hunt dwell on the shot, show us the irony of a police man showing up mere moments after, then have Bond clearly distraught as he cradles her in his arms? When the Bond theme kicks in he may as well dump her body in the bin and be on with his day and life, as most users here are suggesting.

I understand the inherent stoic nature of the character; how his job will always prevent him from finding happiness with any woman. But why attempt to evoke sympathy if it is immediately undercut with a triumphant theme song? Blofeld still gets away and what is even more annoying is how DAF goes on a complete tangent from this plot (not that this is Hunt's fault or the film's itself). I also showed it to a friend and he loved it until they played the theme. CR was different; one gets to see Bond capture White and deliver a famous catchphrase before the theme kicks in.
  • The walking base line is awesome too (heard it again on the soundtrack the other day and it reminded me of this thread)