John Barry tribute concert.

edited June 2011 in News Posts: 11,189
Its the Interval ATM. So far it's been superb, almost as if JB were performing in person. The second half will have a reading from Timothy Dalton and songs from Shirley Bassett. More later :)

Comments

where is this happening?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I could listen to Timothy Dalton read anything. Sounds like a great time in aid of a worthy cause.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Just returned from the tribute concert at the Royal Albert Hall - it was terrific and I'm sure Mr Barry would be very honoured.

The scores, which included all his classics, were performed with genuine love and admiration by Nicholas Dodd. Sir Michael Parkinson introduced the event and there was a recorded message from Sir Michael Caine. He recalled the story of how, after having a sleepless night at Barry's due to him playing the piano, Caine went down and asked him what he was writing. Barry played the Goldfinger theme.

Mr Timothy Dalton, who looked in good shape despite balding at the back, came on in the second half and read a blessing by John O' Donahue. They also had Sir George Martin, Shirley Bassett and a song SUNG by David Arnold on the guitar.

My highlight has to be this:

Nicholas Dodd:
    "The next suite needs no introduction - so I'm not going to give one"

With that the Bond theme came on full blast accompanied with the scores from FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT and DAF.

Other highlights away from Bond for me were Somewhere in Time and The Beyondness of Things.

All in all a great night :)

This was the full programme:

Sir Michael Parkinson

JohnPatrick Barry

The Goldfinger Instrumental

The Knack

Sir Michael Caine

Zulu

The Ipcress File

Somewhere in Time

Don Black

Born Free

Midnight Cowboy

Dances With Wolves (John Dumbar Theme)

Speech from Nicholas Dodd

We Have all the Time in the World - sung by Rumar.

INTERVAL

Sir Michael Parkinson

Body Heat solo

Remembering Chet

Out of Africa

The Beyondness of Things

Ave Maria

Reading by Timothy Dalton

Thick The Days - sung by David Arnold

James Bond suite

Sir George Martin

Diamonds Are Forever (Shirley Bassett)

Goldfinger (Shirley Basset)

Close by Jamie Barry
  • Wow you are so lucky Bain, I hope they release a DVD of the show. Closing with the greatest Barry song of all, the mighty Goldfinger, I'd have had shivers up and down my spine which I still get 40 years after first hearing it. If any occasion could have inspired Shirley Bassey to hit that last note one more time, this should have been it. I'm jealous :-((
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    @BAIN123 sounds like a great event! We would be delighted to publish a report of the event on MI6 if you have time to write one up.
    Yeah. I'll do that
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I've just made an article of the concert, with Getty Images photos and videos.

http://jamesbondbrasil.com/2011/06/fotos-e-videos-do-concerto-em-homenagem-a-john-barry/

xxx
    To hear a CD or watch a DVD of the concert would be fantastic.
    Congratulations Sir Henry and BAIN 123, your comments "may" encourage "someone" to realise the potential of a commercial success, to a waiting audience worldwide, to enjoy the sounds real "stars" and the genius of John Barry.
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    The Guardian has a review of the concert too, here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jun/22/john-barry-memorial-concert?CMP=twt_fd

Five stars out of five! For Mr. Barry we expect nothing less.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 157
    It was a great night for sure, I didn’t get home to bed until 1:45, still catching up on sleep now but was totally worth it. I was with my partner seated at the back of the arena and she was especially looking forward to Shirley Bassey, which she loved.

As described BAIN123’s excellent report, there can’t have been many people that weren’t stunned at composer David Arnold singing a more recent and unreleased song of Barry’s over his acoustic guitar. He was very good and if he ever decided to sing an end title song it would definitely be better received than Eric Serra’s was!

There was a moment when Nicholas Dodd spoke, describing an occasion when Barry personally gave him his conductors baton before a performance which needless to say he was using on the night.

Rumor was chosen to sing We have All The Time in The World which didn’t really get off the ground due to some feedback issue, then she came in at the wrong time towards the end. Oopps.

To expand on “the suite”, up until this point we’d heard all the instruments of the orchestra at one point or another, the drums of zulu, the trumpet of Derek Watkins (who had a standing ovation), the strings of out of Africa- we would now get the full force with an orchestral version of the Bond theme. When hearing it with an orchestra, the genius of his arrangement struck me even more, how he could get every instrument playing most of the time. The result is it just grabs you by the throat and never lets up!
    The arrangement of the suite was not played by the numbers as heard on some CD’s, there was a beautiful transition into FRWL which started building and building into a crescendo of bars from the Bond theme. An explosive start to TB ensued which quickly moved into the more romantic version of the theme until it was back up to strength to carry us into the next theme. 007 was up next during which they showed the LP cover of OHMSS on the video screen. The lush sounds of the flutes and harp were heard predominantly during YOLT, I’m pretty sure the next transition was into OHMSS even though it wasn’t detailed in the program. This is another theme which many would put into their top 5 Barry theme and from hearing it at the Royal Albert hall with that orchestra- so would I. As per the Bond theme, there is so many different aspects going into it. I loved hearing the brass which then “tumbled” into the strings of the violins. I have a new appreciation for this - Mozart for the 20th century, surely. DAF finished up which gradually built to an explosive end, it must have been the loudest of the night.
    Nicholas done a great job here and showed his relief at the end. He knew he nailed it.

After Bassey had smashed her two hits out of the concert hall (in a very glittery dress)- Arnold reappeared, this time with his electric guitar for a traditional version of the Bond theme. The bond film clips that were shown were nicely edited together, in a fairly chronological order. It was a nice touch that showed time had been taken, as with the other BBC clips chosen.

There were 5-6 cameras on this event (footage was then shown live on a large screen above the organ) so I’m really hopefully a program of this would be broadcast or released at some point. I’d love to have the audio of the whole thing really- including all the speeches.

-just seen the video's from marketto007's page, very nice. yes the bond theme that started the suite was very octopussy-esque
    some more have popped up on youtube:

Tick the Days - by John Barry - sung by David Arnold
    you can see more of the "encore" video in this one:

John Barry Memorial Concert - The James Bond Theme
    wow @grunther that really made me jealous i hope sometime i will have opportunity to visit some future Barry tribute concert
    Nice montage there to accompany the James Bond theme.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    As Grunther said, Rumour was probably the weakest link of the night. However I thought I'd go easy on her.
  • It's times like this that I wish I was wealthy enough to fly across the pond to see this...if only to see Dame Shirley belting it out. But everything else as well, and Royal Albert Hall to boot? Surely one of the great Bond experiences of all time for a fan.
    Some more performances have been uploaded:
    John Barry Memorial Concert - We Have All The Time In The World

John Barry Memorial Concert - Remembering Chet

SIR GEORGE MARTIN
    edited June 2011 Posts: 42
    It seemed too be an absolutely wonderful night. I am sure John Barry would have been very honored.

I found this on Youtube, the melody of the Bond themes played at the concert. In my opinion it is one of the best redinitions of the Bond themes that I have heard. Nicholas Dodd certainly exceeded himself.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a DVD of the concert will not be released, however it will be aired on BBC radio on 1 July.
  • Awesome stuff, no question. Found Shirley doing Goldfinger. Was at this computer up and clapping like I was there. Greatly hoping for a DVD.
    No DVD....it would sound great on a 5.1 home cinema. Will have to settle for 2 channel audio- I hope the program will be largely unedited, it would be good for everyone to hear Timothy Dalton’s reading.
  • I find it hard to believe that there will be no DVD...perhaps there are no plans at present but I'd be amazed if one wasn't released at some point.
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I find it hard to believe that there will be no DVD...perhaps there are no plans at present but I'd be amazed if one wasn't released at some point.
    Next year is always a good time...
    Just to confirm what 007 posted earlier. The concert will be broadcast on BBC Radio 2 at 8pm on Friday 1st July as part of the stations' Friday Night Is Music Night strand.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks for the link @grunther, I'll be certain to listen to it soon.

It will only be online for a week so you need to be quick!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    now on iplayer:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0123zv5/Friday_Night_is_Music_Night_01_07_2011/
    Yup, cheers, grunthster, will have to give it a listen too... :)
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    It's really quite a good reproduction. I recorded it from my soundcard as it streamed to my laptop and now have a nice crisp cd of the night. The royal philharmonic don't come across as powerful as they did live on a couple of numbers. Daltons reading is sublime. Nice one BBC!
    It doesn't sound as rich as the actual concert. And the BBC edited out Rumer's mistake. Good interviews during the trailer. It was a brilliant concert, shame they didn't use anything from Living Daylights
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That tribute was amazing! Bassey is a supernova and that Bond suite was mind-jackingly awesome. I love being a Bond fan!