Should Lalo Schifrin have scored a Bond Movie?

edited December 2012 in Music Posts: 68
I've been listening to Schifrin's scores for Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and now Bullitt. It seems that when Martin went to do Live and Let Die he was tapping Schifrin's "acid jazz" sound a few times. So it begs the question: should he have done a Bond movie, and if so which one? I like Barry's scoring on most of the movies, but I think Schifrin could have lent a good sound to Diamonds Are Forever, capturing its surreal (at times) feel and the laid back attitude of the movie all around. However, my choice goes for Live and Let Die. As stated, it already has some of the sound, but I think Schifrin could have done a better job that Sir George Martin. So for consideration, I give you the music for one of the greatest car chases in cinema:

Comments

I'm sure it would have been fantastic. But it would have given the films quite a different feel.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Also check out Schifrin's score for The Liquidator for a 60's Bondesque sound. I can't really see where he'd have fitted in other than for TSWLM, FYEO or LTK? Unless you're suggesting that Schifrin should have been given the job over John Barry, and if you are then I'd rather stick with what the great man gave us instead!
  • I''m not saying Barry should have been replaced on any of his classic scores, however the non-Barry scores might have benefited from someone else. As I listen to more Schifrin, I think he would have best fit in either Live and Let Die (as stated above) or FYEO.
    I wouldn't have him over John Barry, but if he had somehow been able to take over after TLD and stay until now, I feel it'd be pretty damn impressive.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Yes, I think Schifrin would have fit well in the Roger Moore era.