What type of Bond villain do you like the most?

edited December 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 249
Just something I'm curious of. Do you prefer the villain who sits in a chair, pushes all the buttons and is a general mastermind? Or do you prefer the villain who actually gets stuff done himself? Or do you maybe even prefer the henchman over the head honcho, the little people who do most of the work.

I've also noticed that the various Bond's tend to prefer having one type of villains. Most of Moore's villains sits in their chars and pushes the buttons, while most of Brosnan's prefer to fight Bond themselves, hand to hand. Or sword to sword. Or giant rod impaling you to giant rod impaling you.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    An assortment is cool IMO.
  • I prefere a Bond villian that can get the job done himself. Like Red Grant, Renard, 006, or Jaws & etc.
    The one who "gets his hands dirty" in contrast to the ones who sit around and pushes buttons.
    Blofeld in OHMSS
    Silva in SF
    just to name a few...
  • Silva is the perfect villain in my opinion, he really did try to get things done himself and that's what I would prefer. Renard would be another example as mentioned above.
  • Good villains are good villains wherever you find them in Bond

If I did a quick list of my very favorite off the top of my head, that is Scaramanga, Donald Grant, Hugo Drax and Kamal Khan, you have a kind of assortment. Some will go after Bond a bit more, while others may sit back a little and let others have a go. Above all else, they must be at least competent or a definite match for Bond, or a plausible adversary. Such names as Greene, Carver, Elvis, Kristatos or even Whitaker, really didn't pose much of a threat to 007 on their own, and it's these types of villains that can irritate sometimes. A dangerous villain, is a good villain, or at least one the viewer can actually feel some measure of threat when watching. Davi's Sanchez would be one fine example, although I never really found him that threatening

Bardem this year, wasn't menacing. I found him different to the usual main adversary, but simply wasn't intimidating, but still a fun character, that had a very disappointing exit, after two and a half hours of build up (to that moment)
    The button pressing deskbound meglomaniac slipped into cliche. Due to Dr Evil and Austin Powers Eon are scared to another one. To be honest, they have had their day and slipped into ridiculousness.
  • The kind of villains I like to see are the fearsome ones, such as Dr. No, Goldfinger, Largo, Blofeld (Savalas), Hugo Drax (novel), Scaramanga, Zorin and Trevelyan.
  • I'd agree, a good Bond villain has to have the ability to make one fearful. Mr. Big (of the books), for example, really devised some fearful, horrific ways for people to be disposed of. Dr. No was had a calm, very menacing presense about him. Beyond that sort of thing, clearly a Bond villain has to represent a threat to Bond. One of the things I think makes Scaramanga and Silva so interesting was they had Bond questioning whether or not he could beat them. In the book, for instance, no one really thought James Bond was the better gunman between himself and Scaramanga.
  • I want a villain to bring a threat to the world. And that threat won't be a "business" threat, it will put an end on the human breed, much like in TSWLM (let alone MR the film). Or perhaps DN, GF, TB, YOLT, DAF (despite it was a bad film), or GE along with TND. Those are the films who have the Bond plots!
  • JamesBond wrote:
    I want a villain to bring a threat to the world. And that threat won't be a "business" threat, it will put an end on the human breed, ...
    Personally, I find those the least interesting sort of villains. Often times they are way too over-the-top for my tastes.

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    JamesBond wrote:
    I want a villain to bring a threat to the world. And that threat won't be a "business" threat, it will put an end on the human breed, much like in TSWLM (let alone MR the film). Or perhaps DN, GF, TB, YOLT, DAF (despite it was a bad film), or GE along with TND. Those are the films who have the Bond plots!

*cough* 'Blofeld' *cough*
  • *cough* 'Blofeld' *cough*
    *cough* Of the movies *cough*

• JamesBond wrote:
    I want a villain to bring a threat to the world. And that threat won't be a "business" threat, it will put an end on the human breed, much like in TSWLM (let alone MR the film). Or perhaps DN, GF, TB, YOLT, DAF (despite it was a bad film), or GE along with TND. Those are the films who have the Bond plots!

You know, I feel like it's time for this as well. Both Drax and Stromberg are superb villains, mostly because of their plans.

• JamesBond wrote:

You know, I feel like it's time for this as well. Both Drax and Stromberg are superb villains, mostly because of their plans.

Cheers, Elliot.
    A variety of villains is what i like going from film to film. If it did not? It would get pretty repetitive and boring,
  • I like a variety of villains but my favourites are the quieter ones, the Dr No's, Scaramanger,Hugo Drax's of this world. I find them more sinister.

To me a villain doesn't have to be phyically threatening but sinister is a definite >:)
  • PeachyKeen wrote:
    I like a variety of villains but my favourites are the quieter ones, the Dr No's, Scaramanger,Hugo Drax's of this world. I find them more sinister.

To me a villain doesn't have to be phyically threatening but sinister is a definite >:)

I thought of these villains, but I guess the distinction I'd draw is I don't know as they are necessarily psychotic in the way other Bond villains are. They are certainly amongst his most formidable and deadly.

• I like to see the villain get their hands dirty.
  • Somebody who can push the buttons and has lots of power but can get his hands dirty when he wants to.

Sanchez was the best.
  • I like villains who can fight hand to hand with Bond. Someone who causes you to think it's possible this guy could actually kill Bond. An example: (Only an example) if you put Daniel Craig against Liam Neeson wouldn't that be a great villain and fight scene?

Just my thoughts. Silva was great though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    While I like the psychological/technologically advanced Bond villains, such as Silva, I really want to see a Bond villain in the very near future that is either equal to or greater than Craig in the strength and fighting department; someone that will really give him a run for his money in a fight sequence in the finale of the movie.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    While I like the psychological/technologically advanced Bond villains, such as Silva, I really want to see a Bond villain in the very near future that is either equal to or greater than Craig in the strength and fighting department; someone that will really give him a run for his money in a fight sequence in the finale of the movie.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! I think it would be perfect.
    @Hayes004, exactly. Trevelyan was great, because he had both sides of the coin: he was smart and had the technological side down with the infamous GoldenEye, but he was also an ex-00 agent, so he was physical and capable in a fight with Bond.
  • @Creasy47 I agree. I was hoping we would've seen more hand to hand with Silva and Bond.
    Hayes004 wrote:
    @Creasy47 I agree. I was hoping we would've seen more hand to hand with Silva and Bond.

That's why I got so excited when:
    Someone spoiled that Silva dies via knife in a graveyard by James. I figured it would come down to a great fist/knife fight.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I personally think the way Silva got his was spot on in the film. A fight would not have seemed right there, if I really think about it. Silva's reaction is perfect and the metaphor is of the whole scene is great.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Blofeld and the other two outrageous members of the unholy trinity of Fleming supervillians, DN and GF, are the big three. Beyond that I like their derivatives, Stromberg and Drax. Yes Drax is also a Fleming supervillain, but movie-Drax seemed more like a Blofeld derivative, which is a very good thing to be.
    Fleming-style supervillains with DN inspired lairs is ultimate Bond villainy IMO.
    Kananga was quite good too, and I like what Eon tried to do with the likes of Zorin, Trevelyan, Carver and Graves. All 4 were also cast in the deadly, camp, supervillain mode. Honorable mention to Kamal Khan too I guess, and Scaramanga, who didn't have henchmen squads, but he certainly had a supervillain-worthy lair.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 58
    EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Don't know why it did that.
  • I think my favorite Villain is Hugo Drax. He is witty, smart and completely insane. but his plan to kill every one and repopulate the planet with himself as god does at least include having men and women to do the repopulating unlike some other Bond films.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Favourite villain is, Goldfinger. There's something just so organic about Frobe's performance.