The Hobbit (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• edited December 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Good thing anyway that the score is released as a double CD in the standart edition already. I find the LOTR 1-CD releases a bit off.

I wonder if they started to spread some Schumann waves making people want to see Hobbits. I feel so much like watching that film, if I wasn´t right in the middle of the tv version of Das Boot and didn´t have to work in between I´d have me a good old triple feature ;) .
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    boldfinger wrote:
    Good thing anyway that the score is released as a double CD in the standart edition already. I find the LOTR 1-CD releases a bit off.

I wonder if they started to spread some Schumann waves making people want to see Hobbits. I feel so much like watching that film, if I wasn´t right in the middle of the tv version of Das Boot and didn´t have to work in between I´d have me a good old triple feature ;) .

If all goes well I'll be going to a LOTR marathon (with the extended editions) at my local theater next Sunday, I'm still not sure how I'm going to survive those 14h...
    I'm curious to watch The Hobbit but I have to confess that I've been having a bad feeling towards it, I hope I'm wrong.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Sandy wrote:
    If all goes well I'll be going to a LOTR marathon (with the extended editions) at my local theater next Sunday,

Dear God... It's tough for me to sit through the Extended Editions in my own bedroom, where I can press the pause button to make a bathroom trip. Having to sit in a theater, with probably only 5 minutes of trailer (obviously for The Hobbit) between them is something I could never do.
    Sandy wrote:
    If all goes well I'll be going to a LOTR marathon (with the extended editions) at my local theater next Sunday,

Dear God... It's tough for me to sit through the Extended Editions in my own bedroom, where I can press the pause button to make a bathroom trip. Having to sit in a theater, with probably only 5 minutes of trailer (obviously for The Hobbit) between them is something I could never do.

In a weeks time I'll tell you how difficult it was :D I've never tried to watch the extended editions in one day, let's see how it goes.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Sandy wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

In a weeks time I'll tell you how difficult it was :D I've never tried to watch the extended editions in one day, let's see how it goes.

I've done it, but, like I said, in my bedroom, with a pause button.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Here's a thirteen-minute special on the movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97786
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks Creasy.

It's a real shame this isn't getting the same acclaim as the last trilogy, so far. I wonder if reviews will pick up. If not, the other films better be an improvement. If that is not even the case, maybe two films was better than three...
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Thanks Creasy.

It's a real shame this isn't getting the same acclaim as the last trilogy, so far. I wonder if reviews will pick up. If not, the other films better be an improvement. If that is not even the case, maybe two films was better than three...

Two films is already a stretch, I was a bit disappointed when it was announced there would be 3. I'm keeping my mind open but there are more than a few things bothering me with these films, and this is coming from a fan.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,368
    You're welcome, @Samuel001.

Speaking of sequels, here's the first official photo from 'The Hobbit: There and Back Again:'

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97793
  • Currently The Hobbit Part I RT is only 70%....must be not as good as LOTR
    Currently The Hobbit Part I RT is only 70%....must be not as good as LOTR

I think a lot of people are reacting badly to the frame rate, the 3D, the fact that the source material is more light hearted.
    I hope so! Some have compared this to The Phantom Menace.
    I'm seeing a lot of iffy reviews for 'The Hobbit,' mainly the frame rate, and yes, that the film is more light-hearted. I'll probably be passing on this. The only thing I plan to see for the rest of the year is SF some more and 'Django Unchained.'
  • I think they made a mistake by putting The Hobbit in 3D..........
    I think they made a mistake by putting The Hobbit in 3D..........

I agree, i think it cheapens the franchise. Thats why i hope Bond NEVER goes down that route! [-(
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 4,619
    2002: Die Another Day vs. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    2012: Skyfall vs. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

It seems like Bond will win easily this time in term of critical acclaim.
    2002: Die Another Day vs. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    2012: Skyfall vs. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

It seems like Bond will win easily this time in term of critical acclaim.

We shall see, as the movie has yet to go on general release.

Since when does RT decide over the quality of a film?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Did they? All I read so far was one critic drawing similarities of some kind between the characters of Radagast and Jar Jar Binks. That´s not exactly putting the whole film next to TPM.

I think people who where expecting another LOTR film will be disppointed naturally when the source material is different and perhaps also the concept fot this whole film.
    On the other hand, Jackson also did that abominal King Kong film, which shows he´s also able to produce crap.

boldfinger wrote:
    Since when does RT decide over the quality of a film?

There are people out there who can't look past internet critics and judge a film on their own. Plus, I'd accept a review from RT than Ain't It Cool News. Harry Knowles is a damn idiot.
    boldfinger wrote:
    On the other hand, Jackson also did that abominal King Kong film, which shows he´s also able to produce crap.

Don't forget The Lovely Bones, during which I swear I was smoking shrooms without actually having any.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Did they? All I read so far was one critic drawing similarities of some kind between the characters of Radagast and Jar Jar Binks. That´s not exactly putting the whole film next to TPM.

The journalist who wrote that isn't even the main reviewer for the publication and his Jar Jar comments were removed from his review after a few days after other (more respected) journalists who had seen the film said that 'Radagast is Jar Jar' was utter rubbish. I think it's safe to say he isn't at all jar Jar esque.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    How they will make three movies with about 3 hors runninge time each, is beyond me. I mean, The Hobbit is a much shorter book than any of the three LOTR books...
    How they will make three movies with about 3 hors runninge time each, is beyond me. I mean, The Hobbit is a much shorter book than any of the three LOTR books...

JRR Tolkien intended to write a revised edition of the Hobbit after he expanded on the mythology of the original story in creating LOTR. Unfortunately that project was never completed.

His personal notes and the appendices of the LOTR books are the source of most of the added content. So Jackson is essentially completing Tolkien's work and tying LOTR and the Hobbit together with additional content, as Tolkien intended to do.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

An Unexpected Journey may as well be The Phantom Menace and God help us all if the next two movies aren't better than this one.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=97646
    @Samuel001, such a shame. I think I'll end up passing on this in theaters. I wasn't die-hard into wanting to see it come its release, and I think this sums up my decision. I've just been so let down with so many films and games this year that I'm not going to make the same decision again. I'll just save my money for the rest of the times I see SF.

It really is sad, though, to see so many mediocre reviews on something that people have been anticipating to such a degree.
    I'll watch it once it comes out on DVD (as I did with the LOTR films), but I've never expected it to be exactly like the LOTR films. For one, The Hobbit had a helluva lot more singing in it.
    @Agent007391, that's probably what I'll do, though I hadn't seen any of the LOTR films until summer of last year. Did a trilogy run through of them when I visited a friend in Maine and he was gone for work.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Samuel001, such a shame. I think I'll end up passing on this in theaters. I wasn't die-hard into wanting to see it come its release, and I think this sums up my decision. I've just been so let down with so many films and games this year that I'm not going to make the same decision again. I'll just save my money for the rest of the times I see SF.

It really is sad, though, to see so many mediocre reviews on something that people have been anticipating to such a degree.

That's only one review. Plus, the guy is more pouty over the technology of the film than the actual story or its integral parts anyhow.
    I'm speaking of numerous reviews, not just the one posted by @Samuel001.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm speaking of numerous reviews, not just the one posted by @Samuel001.

What's the common rating? Not good?
    Well, the shortest ames Bond novel was made into the longest Bond film, how about that ;-)?