Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• SaintMark wrote:
    I believe a movie based upon based upon "Federation" would indeed be awesome, where Next gen meets the original bunch but do not really meet but Picard and Co and Kirk and Co both work their magic without really meeting face to face.
    I would LOVE to see a movie adaptation of that book. It's one of my favorite books in that series.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 1,107
    STAR TREK into darkness trailer

Star Trek Into Darkness - Extra Footage Japanese Teaser

• What's everyone's opinion on the Into Darkness trailer?

As a HUGE Trek fan (though admittedly not of Enterprise) - whilst I absolutely loved the J.J 2009 Star Trek in all it's reboot / alternate timeline glory, I can't help feeling like Trek is really being dumbed down to cater to the masses. Yes I know it's a franchise and it should make money, but part of what made Trek was the morality and social commentary like in TNG and the complexity of the later seasons of DS9, something that I felt began to disappear from Voyager, and then there's Enterprise which I felt really messed up the timeline except for season 4 where they began to get clever and sew up the plot holes...

Of course, I'll have to wait to see the whole film before I can judge, but from the trailer looks like an action / adventure flick and IF the villain is Khan, despite Cumberbatch being a fantastic actor, will it do justice to that wonderfully nuanced performance by the late Ricardo Montalban?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    With the Japanese teaser, did we get a hint of a reprise of the ending of Wrath of Khan?
    Some people say the fact that Cumberbatch is in a Star Fleet uniform is proof that he's Gary Mitchell(appears in ST TOS episode Where no man has gone before). Others point to the fact that Khan was one of several genetically engineered 'supermen' which would account for the feats of prowess on display in the the trailer. Maybe we'll get a definitive answer in the 9-minute preview before The Hobbit. One thing's for sure, in an age where most of The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers were spoiled before their release, it's absolutely amazing that details for the Star Trek sequel have been kept under wraps for this long.
    So far: meh.

The trailer was just people screaming, and slo-motion clips that weren't mean to be slow motion. Not an effective teaser, but I'm still confident the film with be stupidly enjoyable.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Not all that good but I'm open minded. Nice to see everyone back after four years.

I take it the third film would form a trilogy, as is the norm these days?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Looks to me like they fixed the Enterprise (or at least that class of starship) a bit.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    With the Japanese teaser, did we get a hint of a reprise of the ending of Wrath of Khan?
    I certainly hope not.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Nice to hear the BRMMMMMMMH score in the back that seems to follow lots of big films these days, alongside the poster that looks like so many others. All of it is unoriginal, but the film looks alright.
  • the teaser give nothing away......and no idea who the villain is either.......this is kind of like Skyfall guessing the name of the villain
    Some interesting musings from Total Film on the short trailer, such as:

There are some fan theories floating around that Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell, and there is actually a fair bit of evidence to back that up in this trailer. Alice Eve in particular bears a striking resemblance to Sally Kellerman's character Dr Elizabeth Dehner, who was closely linked to Mitchell.

Unlike Khan, he's wearing a Starfleet uniform, which would make him a more likely Gary Mitchell.

The shot from the Japanese trailer, and is almost a complete recreation of Spock's death-scene from Wrath Of Khan, but could JJ still be playing with us - by combining elements of the Khan mythos with the Gary Mitchell character he would reward Star Trek geeks and film fans alike. What if the opening sequence involves the destruction of a Starship Gary Mitchell is onboard - one the Federation refuses to rescue? Mitchell survives, and seeks revenge - both on the Federation itself, and on Kirk, who stole his girlfriend (Alice Eve) while they were at the Academy together...

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/star-trek-into-darkness-trailer-23-questions-raised/are-the-promotional-team-big-fans-of-the-iron-man-3-trailer-
  • From that Wrath-of-Khan-esque shot at the end of the Japanese trailer, I think it might just be a red-herring for promotional purposes. For example, why would they only put that in the Japanese teaser trailer? So that those of us that only watched the English trailer would go and watch it again.

Then why would you put such an iconic scene there? obviously for the purposes of inciting debate.

Next, if you look closely, the person who appears to be dying's hand has a black uniform on, so I'm thinking it's either Kirk or maybe even the villain who realises the error of his ways and sacrifices himself to save the crew- whilst the person on the other side of the glass is wearing blue. That suggests it's either McCoy or Spock on the other side of that glass. I think it's most likely going to be Gary Michell as the villain as the Alice Eve thing seems to make sense.
  • I was given the believe that the current IDW comic book series was worked on with the film's writers and were canon. If that is the case they have already covered Gary Mitchell, and it wasn't this guy. I may be wrong of course, but I do think Charlie X is a better call.
  • Or... here's a wild thought, could Cumberbatch be playing a villain who we HAVEN'T ever heard of - i.e NOT Khan, NOT Gary Mitchell and NOT Charlie X ? The same way Nero was an entirely original villain.

Alternatively he could be Harcourt Fenton Mudd :P
    I think it is a safe bet this is Gary Mitchell as the evidence so far seems to stack up, he has the supernatural side as seen in the trailer teaser. There is a still un-named female role in the movie who looks oddly like Elizabeth Denher, and he has some form of revenge plan. The scene described above, with (presumably) Mitchell and Spock could well be showing their connection before (if following the basic original Mitchell storyline) he is left behind and that now he is locked in the brig their is still signs of friendship. This also correlates to what Pike tells him at the start, perhaps it is Kirk's over confidence that causes this to happen to Mitchell and thus beggining his character developement throughout the film. I'm certain this isn't Sybock as he does not have Vulcan ears and I doubt they would choose to go down the Star Trek V path again...
    Even if the line "what does God want with a spaceship" is easily the best quote from a science fiction movie EVER!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,333
    According to AICN site where a reviewer has seen the first nine minutes of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, composer Michael Giacchino quotes Khan's theme. Is he mistaken? Well, if we read on he then states that the introduction of Benedict Cumberbatch, who turns up at a hospital in London to offer a husband and wife the opportunity to save their child (who appears to be terminally ill) can't be Khan unless they've made him an English gent.

"So who the hell is Cumberbatch playing? Gary Mitchell? Sybok? The Gorn? I don't know, but it's a big deal. Noel Clarke's character asks Cumberbatch directly, and we get a slow, portentous push-in underscored by a menacing Giacchino cue. Not the Khan cue, however. That comes later," states AICN.

Confused? Looks like we won't be getting any answers in the 9 minute preview after all.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59938

UPDATE: Paramount’s official caption on the image notes that Cumberbatch’s character is named “John Harrison.”

So he's a new character then.
  • Alice Eve is apperently playing Carol Marcus? Hmm...so it can't be Khan, can it?

Also: Klingons!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=71131
    It has been suggested that Carol Marcus was the "blonde lab technician" Kirk was introduced to by Gary Mitchell years earlier, mentioned in "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
    Looks like Benedict Cumberbatch is just playing a guy named “John Harrison” and not Khan or Gary Mitchell after all.

“I play John Harrison who’s a terrorist and an extraordinary character in his own right,” the Brit said. “He’s somebody who is not your two-dimensional cookie cutter villain. He’s got an extraordinary purpose, and I hope that at one point or other in the film you might even sympathize with the reasons he’s doing what he’s doing — not necessarily the means and the destruction he causes. But it was a great ride, not just because he’s the bad guy and the antagonist but also because he has a purpose and it’s hard not to see his point of view at certain points.”

http://www.accesshollywood.com/benedict-cumberbatch-im-not-playing-khan-in-star-trek-into-darkness_article_73762
    Someone said this on the IGN forum and I fully agree: (I enjoyed the first one but it did have too much action. Let's hope but I wonder if I'm hoping for too much. I just love the original series from the 60's and the original motion pictures.)

"My hope is that either this or the next film BOLDLY go high concept with a clever, original, philosophically challenging idea that's more about exploration than spectacle (I will lose interest if they don't do one by the 3rd because that always was the high point of Star Trek to me)."

I noticed that a good portion of the trailer seems to take place in the city, and not so much in a ship in space.
    Yeah, I like that.
  • After seeing this 'John Harrison' character in the brig, I'm just a little worried they don't use another 'Xanatos Gambit' in the story ...http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit....

Seems like a plot device I've seen alot recently, where the bad guy gets kidnapped / captured and it turns out it was his plan to get caught all along... Law Abiding Citizen, Joker in 'The Dark Knight'... Loki in 'The Avengers', Silva in Skyfall...
    'Star Trek: The Video Game' release date and cover art have been revealed. Looks like it uses the looks of Pine and Quinto. I had no idea a Star Trek game was even coming out:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=98282
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Star Trek: The Video Game' release date and cover art have been revealed. Looks like it uses the looks of Pine and Quinto. I had no idea a Star Trek game was even coming out:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=98282
    The trailer is on page one.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    All I know about the game is, it's set between the two films and may actually be good.
    The game doesn't look too bad, actually.