If Hans Zimmer Composed a Bond Score...

edited December 2012 in Fan Creations Posts: 204
I've seen in alot of discussion and wish-lists for future Bond movies, that if Christopher Nolan was ever to take the helm that he'd probably bring Hans Zimmer on board like Newman / Mendes for Skyfall.

Well I was tinkering around the studio the other day and I was trying to think what that might sound like and the following is merely a work in progress but wanted to share with you all and let me know what you think.

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/70053092&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/70053092&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" Hans Zimmer</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/theentrprise">The Entrprise</a></span>

Bits I know I need to fix:
1) The end with the drum pattern - sounds like Eric Serra!
2) The percussion + timpani needs fleshing out
3) Strings and brass need to be tightened up
4) Add a bit of synth bass / leads
4) Mix properly!

Eventually I'd like to take a handful of classic Bond tracks and remake them in the style of various composers e.g 'Necros Attacks' if David Arnold had done it etc!

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That's actually pretty close to what I imagine Zimmer bringing to the table. A lot like his Batman scores except with a bit more of a groove. I don't think he should ever score a Bond film, being honest. He just doesn't score films the way a Bond needs to be scored.
  • Haha. I don't think he should either personally - I have to admit though I was curious to what it might sound like. Might need to make a list of people who *shouldn't* score Bond...
    Yes it would be interesting wouldn't it? I'm curious to hear what he's going to do with Superman now. Even though he's quite famous in his own right, he has massive shoes to fill with Williams' theme being the quintessential Superman music. I don't see how Zimmer will beat it considering he's not going to use it.
  • Yes it would be interesting wouldn't it? I'm curious to hear what he's going to do with Superman now. Even though he's quite famous in his own right, he has massive shoes to fill with Williams' theme being the quintessential Superman music. I don't see how Zimmer will beat it considering he's not going to use it.
    He probably isn't out to "beat it" -- which is why he may well be successful with it. One of the challenges of working with a character like that is not getting too beholden to what was done before, I think. Superman Returns seemed to suffer from that sort of thing.

It reminds me of the Casualty theme tune
    Yes it would be interesting wouldn't it? I'm curious to hear what he's going to do with Superman now. Even though he's quite famous in his own right, he has massive shoes to fill with Williams' theme being the quintessential Superman music. I don't see how Zimmer will beat it considering he's not going to use it.
    He probably isn't out to "beat it" -- which is why he may well be successful with it. One of the challenges of working with a character like that is not getting too beholden to what was done before, I think. Superman Returns seemed to suffer from that sort of thing.

See I actually think the opposite about Ottman's work on Superman Returns, I felt he did an extraordinary job in creating his own themes and ideas for the film. It was poorly represented in the film thanks to more emphasis on the sound effects, but on album it was great.

But anyway, I'm not expecting too much from Zimmer as regards a new title theme for the character, so maybe he might surprise me.
  • AliAli
    It'll have an overuse of taiko drums, whatever he does....
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If Zimmer ever does a Bond score I can die a happy man. Let's just hope he doesn't use himself as a source so much.
    Am I the only one who thinks Zimmer is incredibly overrated? He's done some excellent work but a lot of mediocre work as well.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Volante wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks Zimmer is incredibly overrated? He's done some excellent work but a lot of mediocre work as well.

Nope, I too think Zimmer is extremely overrated. All his scores sound the same to me.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    Well we have seen many composer beside Barry doing Bond theme, Newman's rendition of the Bond theme was a nice to hear. I like to hear how Zimmer's version would sound like from himself. I wonder if Nolan will get Zimmer to do the theme or somebody else.
    mdo007 wrote:
    Well we have seen many composer beside Barry doing Bond theme, Newman's rendition of the Bond theme was a nice to hear. I like to hear how Zimmer's version would sound like from himself. I wonder if Nolan will get Zimmer to do the theme or somebody else.

Couldn't he compose a cover? Look at David Arnold, before he was composer for TND he had released the Shaken and Stirred cover album and rearranged the James Bond theme. I'm sure Zimmer could do the same in his free time.
    Murdock wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

Couldn't he compose a cover? Look at David Arnold, before he was composer for TND he had released the Shaken and Stirred cover album and rearranged the James Bond theme. I'm sure Zimmer could do the same in his free time.

Well if he haas time, he's probably busy doing scores for a upcomig movie or something.
  • I wasn't aware Shaken and Stirred was before Arnold's stint as a Bond composer, that's interesting...
    I wasn't aware Shaken and Stirred was before Arnold's stint as a Bond composer, that's interesting...

I believe it came out before TND IIRC, I could be wrong though.
  • loullersloullers Eskilstuna, Sweden
    Sounds like an interesting idea LicenceRevoked to remake some tracks from the previous scores. The 007-theme for instance in the style of David Arnold :).
    I found a unused soundtrack for Skyfall that sound close to Hans Zimmer style of music. This music was composed by Michael Warren. What do you think:

mdo007 wrote:
    I found a unused soundtrack for Skyfall that sound close to Hans Zimmer style of music. This music was composed by Michael Warren. What do you think:

Sounds like it could very well be Zimmer imo.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 259
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

Maybe, but Michael Warren's music for Skyfall didn't make an appearance in the movie. But it at least gave us an idea how Han Zimmers music sound in a Bond film.

I would probably love it if Chris Nolan could get not only Hans Zimmer, but bring back Dave Arnold and maybe add Michael Warren for Nolan's Bond.

mdo007 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

Maybe, but Michael Warren's music for Skyfall didn't make an appearance in the movie. But it at least gave us an idea how Han Zimmers music sound in a Bond film.

I would probably love it if Chris Nolan could get not only Hans Zimmer, but bring back Dave Arnold and maybe add Michael Warren for Nolan's Bond.

Of course it wasn't in Skyfall. It was fan-made in the middle of production!
    edited December 2012 Posts: 259
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    mdo007 wrote:

Of course it wasn't in Skyfall. It was fan-made in the middle of production!

I don't think this was fanmade, it looks like it may have been rejected before Mendes got Newman to do a music. I guess there was people who did music sample for Skyfall before Newman was selected. This music came out in 2011 a year before Skyfall came out.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,745
    mdo007 wrote:
    I don't think this was fanmade, it looks like it may have been rejected before Mendes got Newman to do a music. I guess there was people who did music sample for Skyfall before Newman was selected. This music came out in 2011 a year before Skyfall came out.

No, the guy even says in the description it's unofficial. He did it to get attention from everyone who would be searching YouTube for the real soundtrack. Mendes had Newman in mind forever, because he works with him on all his films.

Again, this guy was just doing it for attention. Which isn't a bad thing, but I bet the crew have never even heard of him. His website sites only a few commercial credits.
    If Hans Zimmer composed a Bond score...

It would probably sound like all of his other scores. I personally don't think Zimmer has the 'groove' that a Bond soundtrack needs. He's got the majesty, though.
    See I actually think the opposite about Ottman's work on Superman Returns, I felt he did an extraordinary job in creating his own themes and ideas for the film. It was poorly represented in the film thanks to more emphasis on the sound effects, but on album it was great.

But anyway, I'm not expecting too much from Zimmer as regards a new title theme for the character, so maybe he might surprise me.
    I´m willing to bet he´s going for a character theme based on one single note ;-).
    Murdock wrote:
    I think Arnold wasn´t quite as busy then as Zimmer is at the moment.
    Murdock wrote:
    Volante wrote:

Nope, I too think Zimmer is extremely overrated. All his scores sound the same to me.
    Overrated may be the wrong term. He´s financially lucrative because he makes every film he scores be heard. This in turn makes a lot of people believe his music is good. Kind of like in the 80s, when a song that was played on MTV sold a hundred times better than a song that wasn´t ;-).
    Zimmer has, especially recently, had some outstanding ideas, but overall his scores are more like a vacuum packed in a massive shell. If you listen to the bonus tracks from the TDKR score, they haven´t been mixed with the kill-´em-all bass, and they sound very very cheap. And they have the same composition pattern as the rest.

boldfinger wrote:

I´m willing to bet he´s going for a character theme based on one single note ;-).

Defining all the DC scores with a single note character theme is horrendous considering how good some of the Marvel scores have been. I really hope he doesn't go that way again, ever. :P
    I think he hasn´t gone below two notes. But let´s see what kind of challenges he´s up to ;-) .
  • That link posted above by Michael Warren is quite good. I reckon a Hans Zimmer-esque theme would sound something like that. Some people have mentioned Michael Giacchino, I would have to say as much as I like his scores for MI IV: Ghost Protocol and Star Trek, I feel he might make Bond sound like LOST.

That said, Giacchino does excel at brass-heavy scores and it might work better for Bond than Mission Impossible.

Regarding Zimmer and Superman, it'll be interesting to see his take. I listened to the Dark Knight OST on several occassions, and he does actually quote Elfman's Batman theme very subtly on the track 'I Am Not A Hero' and a few other tracks.

I was a bit disappointed with Dark Knight Rises, because apart from Bane's chant, there appeared to be very little evolution score-wise between Rises and TDK. Either that or he felt he achieved the pinnacle score-wise with TDK.

It seems like Zimmer is not a composer who plays by the rules when it comes to using previously established iconic themes, and this is evident in his score for Mission Impossible 2, where I felt the Shiffrin theme was woefully underused dispite some great tracks like 'Injection'.

Thoughts?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love Zimmer, but I do agree @LicenceRevoked. The score for TDKR can't hold a candle to TDK, but I guess Zimmer viewed the scores just as Nolan envisioned Bruce's story: A journey in three parts. Just as Bruce picks up new abilities and strengths over the course of the film, the scores will each add on to the other, leaving less and less original material in the concluding chapter. If you view the score for TDKR as one of completion like the film, where Zimmer included past motifs and themes to add a sense of continuity to the past films as Bruce's story ends, it makes sense in a way. Maybe that is what Zimmer intended.