Let's hear it for Rory Kinnear as Tanner!

Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
edited December 2012 in Actors Posts: 403
Have really been enjoying his take on the character in QoS and SF. He has the good look of a believable office worker/field operative. Like to see him return and him and Bond's realtionship grow.

Comments

• edited December 2012 Posts: 2,189
    I like him in the role but I just wish that they made Tanner Bond's personal friend like in the books. I can't imagine Daniel and Rory being friends outside of work...
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I like his portrait of Tanner. And i hope he will return soon again!
    Yep, i hope Tanner is kept in the MI6 team for the next 2 movies atleast!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'm more of a Michael Kitchen fan, myself.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,143
    He's done a good job
  • I thought Rory Kinnear was really good as Tanner. He was very believable! I hope he does return for Bond 24. *Fingers cross*
  • I love Rory Kinnear! I too would like to see his relationship with Bond develop in the coming films. Great actor!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Rory Kinnear is a fantastic Tanner. He's very dedicated to the role. as He's voiced Tanner in all of the Craig era Bond games except for QoS. I hope he returns for B24 and 25.
  • echo wrote:
    I'm more of a Michael Kitchen fan, myself.

This.

And I didn't really take much to Kinnear this time round, and once again, was a surprise to see the character having a beer during office hours ? (Heineken commercial opportunity needless to say) but they could of chose a better place for it, just seemed a bit bizarre, if that is the operative word, when first seen. I much prefered Kitchen as Tanner also

• He did the best with what he was given, but he wasn't given much. But to be fair there wasn't much more they could do with him, Tanner just generally hangs around M anyway.

He does seem dedicated though (he's done all the games and stayed on through the gap). He should do Bond 24 too.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Amidst all the praise I have to say I find him rather miscast.

The Tanner of the books is both a veteran, so well able to handle himself, and also very much M's able deputy capable of making tough decisions. He's also quite friendly with Bond.

I don't get any of this from Kinnear. To be fair the bloke can only do what's in the script but even so.

In the public enquiry shootout he not only doesn't do his job by getting M out of there earlier he also ends up cowering behind the desk - it's actually Mallory who leaps into the fray. In any case he looks more like he should be manager of a branch of Marks and Spencer than someone with combat experience so not sure what use he would be.

There's no banter with Bond at all and most of the time he's just a yes man be it to M, Bond, Q or Mallory.

I do quite like him in the scenes introducing Bond to the new MI6 but overall there's very little of Flemings Tanner there but again that's the script I suppose.

• quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Rory Kinnear's performance was definitely one of the many joys of SF. Sure, he's nothing like the Tanner of the novels - but the portrayal of M (and M's relationship with Bond in particular) throughout the series has always been light years away from the books too. Taken purely as a creation of the last two films Tanner's a terrific character superbly played by a hugely gifted actor. Hope we'll see plenty more of him in B24.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Kinnear's performance in SF was a definite improvement from QOS. The Tanner character depth was overlooked in SF, but maybe we'll get more in the future films.
    Rory Kinnear is just forgetable...Michael Kitchen was far more superior than him
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Michael Kitchen is undeniably a brilliant and compelling actor but he wasn't given the chance to do anything with the character due to the abysmal scripts he was lumbered with.
  • Kitchin in GE was very good, Kinnear didn't really get the material in QOS, Tanner was essentially there to replace Villiers (remember him?). It was good to see him given a bigger role in SF, I don’t know whehter he'll hang around with the new M so much as we know that Moneypenny is in the employ of Mallory and Tanner was more associated with Judi's M. I hope this just adds an extra layer of friction between Mallory's team and the old guard, maybe forcing Bond and Tanner to team up to undermine Mallory's more bureaucratic stance?
    RK is very good but I still prefer Michael Kitchen. He seemed to convey a warmer relationship with Bond. Also off topic I would have loved to see Michale Madseon reprise his role as the smug yank Falco. Would have been good to see DC take him down a peg or two!
  • Yeah, I also prefer Kitchen. It would be pretty hard for him to return though, he is 64 after all.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Michael Kitchen is undeniably a brilliant and compelling actor but he wasn't given the chance to do anything with the character due to the abysmal scripts he was lumbered with.

I'm sorry but what has Kinnear done that's so much better? let's face it neither of them have stolen the screen because the Tanner character doesn't have much to do.

Even if you think the Brosnan films had terrrible scripts I don't think you can find anything "abysmal" about Tanners scenes.
    Taken purely as a creation of the last two films Tanner's a terrific character superbly played by a hugely gifted actor.

Hanging round M, explaining to Bond what the new HQ used to be and being used as heineken advert. He's the greatest character in the film!

I don't mind Tanner but I don't think there's anything great about him either and imo I don't think you can call the character (in any Bond film) a terrific character imo.

Kinnear plays him well but the character doesn't really do anything. He's Basil Exposition off Austin Powers. He's basically there to explain things to Bond and keep the film moving along.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I really like this Tanner. Can't wait to see Kinnear in more Bond films.
    I don't think Kinnear has been given much to work with in the Quantum and Skyfall scripts. Tanner's dialogue with M in Quantum about Greene and the CIA made him look like he was in over his head working in an intelligence agency. Tanner's lines about Greene not being a person of interest and his later correction by M made Tanner seem like he was in over his head as chief of staff. Those lines would have been fine for Villiers, who was a personal assistant, not chief of staff.

I prefer Kitchen because of his chemistry with Brosnan in GoldenEye and World is Not Enough. I could imagine Pierce's Bond and Kitchen's Tanner being friends outside the office, an impression I don't yet get from Craig's Bond and Kinnear's Tanner.

Kitchen's appearance and personality, especially in GoldenEye, fit my mental image of Fleming's Tanner, a former agent who moved to a desk job after an injury. He was useless in the field since he was a family man and had gone soft, but he still could be formidable.

If Kinnear is given more to do with the Tanner part in the scripts, I don't see why he couldn't do just as well as Kitchen.
    rory_kinnear.png
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Delightfully deep post, @Cuckoo007. Please give it some substance. We don't take too kindly to spam.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Rory Kinnear is a fine actor, and can sing too.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Great member of the team.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I like Rory Kinnear a lot. He is spectacular in Penny Dreadful and other stuff.

He may be a bit low-key in his role as Tanner, but I certainly would miss him, especially after seeing his scenes in Spectre.
    I love the supporting cast as it is. MP, Q, M, Tanner... they all work well together. I hope they get a couple more under their belts and even stick around long after Craig leaves. I want another group to rival the originals.
    Agreed, they have a great " Home Team" back at the office.
    Is there a thread for saying how absolutely bloody gorgeous Namoie Harris is :x
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Agreed, they have a great " Home Team" back at the office.
    Is there a thread for saying how absolutely bloody gorgeous Namoie Harris is :x

There should be, I met her at the Swiss premiere of Spectre, she is truly beautiful.
    Lucky you. Even in interviews, she just looks great and very elegant.