The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Getafix wrote:
    It takes a certain type of woman to appreciate the Dalts I think. It seems odd to a lot of male fans who think he's so great but he does not seem to be universally admired amongst the ladies.
    Which is, I think, very much in keeping with the character. Bond is very much a "man's man". That's not going to be universally appealing to women by its very nature.

Getafix wrote:
    It takes a certain type of woman to appreciate the Dalts I think. It seems odd to a lot of male fans who think he's so great but he does not seem to be universally admired amongst the ladies.
    Which is, I think, very much in keeping with the character. Bond is very much a "man's man". That's not going to be universally appealing to women by its very nature.

Yeah, but the ladies loved Sean. Or, at least I think they did.
  • Well, he was once voted the "Sexiest Man Alive" -- which he said beat being the sexiest dead man.

Getafix wrote:

I wonder what type that is? Being a fan and a female, I really don't think there's anything "peculiar" about me. Just a normal girl.

As far as what you're saying that he's not universally admired by women, I've come across plenty of women from different nationalities who love Dalton or at least used to back in the day when he was young.

Obviously most women won't necessarily say "Dalton" when asked who the sexiest Bond is or who they admire most because he's not nearly as popular as the rest, except for Lazenby, mainly due to having only done 2 movies 25 years ago. Most women haven't seen his movies. His exposure as 007 wasn't as big as the one Moore and Connery or Brosnan got. They got proper eras. Dalton's tenure was far shorter and generally gets overlooked in the grand scheme of things. Who can effectively assess that the majority of the women who HAVE seen his 007 movies don't admire him though? I've seen plenty of appreciation online.

I think one of the main reasons he got cast, instead of Sam Neill, is that Dalton had sex appeal in spades whereas Neill is simply boring to look at. As woman, he doesn't have the right effect on me.

Regan wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I wonder what type that is? Being a fan and a female, I really don't think there's anything "peculiar" about me. Just a normal girl.

As far as what you're saying that he's not universally admired by women, I've come across plenty of women from different nationalities who love Dalton or at least used to back in the day when he was young.

Obviously most women won't necessarily say "Dalton" when asked who the sexiest Bond is or who they admire most because he's not nearly as popular as the rest, except for Lazenby, mainly due to having only done 2 movies 25 years ago. Most women haven't seen his movies. His exposure as 007 wasn't as big as the one Moore and Connery or Brosnan got. They got proper eras. Dalton's tenure was far shorter and generally gets overlooked in the grand scheme of things. Who can effectively assess that the majority of the women who HAVE seen his 007 movies don't admire him though? I've seen plenty of appreciation online.

I think one of the main reasons he got cast, instead of Sam Neill, is that Dalton had sex appeal in spades whereas Neill is simply boring to look at. As woman, he doesn't have the right effect on me.

I wasn't suggesting that women who like him are peculiar - just that he doesn't seem to have a very big female following. I think he (possibly) appeals to women who like brooding, romantic types. I think in some ways his look was a little bit behind the times by the late 80s. He was of course a 70s period drama stalwart and he certainly suited the Mr. Rochester role.

I'm a big fan of the Daltinator and always glad to hear that he has a growing a fanbase. Just commenting that I don't think he totally wowed female audiences like Sean did. Frankly, most of the women I know preferred Brosnan to Dalts, which I find totally odd.

Funnily enough a good female friend couldn't stand Dalts but thought Sam Neil was one of the sexiest men alive. She loves him in the Piano. Each to their own...
  • What annoys me is when people say Dalton still isn't that popular and then try to prove it by saying "look at the polls!!"

Most of the people who vote in those polls probably haven't even seen Daltons Bond films. They've just bought into the myth that he was some terrible, unpopular Bond that almost sunk the series.

I'd bet that most people who have actually seen his films liked him. And Daltons popularity is growing.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 173
    @Getafix, I wasn't around in 1987 to really say whether he "wowed" the female audience or not, so I can't debate that point with any facts or figures. All I can say, is that I was around when Brosnan came out in GE, and yes... my teen friends and I were wowed with him. We thought he was just so suave and charming and good looking, and to be fair the man was handsome as hell.

Beautician and the Beast came out around the same time by the way, and we were wowed by the dictator (Dalton). He was an evolved, manlier version of Mr. Sheffield from The Nanny. We thought he was so manly and commanding. So as a teenage girls, both men did it, just in a different way.

Women, for the majority, are wired to like the "brooding romantic" type. The whole romance novel genre is based on this notion and its the best selling genre. We love commanding, authoritative, brooding mysterious men with a charming, romantic edge. A Dalton would totally fit the romance novel type but the rest not. (Except for Craig, who would also fit, incidentally. So whereas we could appreciate Brosnan's look, we also half the time felt we wanted to slap his smug face.

Incidentally, your comment about his looks being outdated for women by the late 80s is an interesting one. What was the "in" style then? Big muscly Stallone types? Perhaps there's some truth in that. Once again, I wasn't around but that could have had some effect, I suppose.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Regan wrote:
    @Getafix, I wasn't around in 1987 to really say whether he "wowed" the female audience or not, so I can't debate that point with any facts or figures. All I can say, is that I was around when Brosnan came out in GE, and yes... my teen friends and I were wowed with him. We thought he was just so suave and charming and good looking, and to be fair the man was handsome as hell.

Beautician and the Beast came out around the same time by the way, and we were wowed by the dictator (Dalton). He was an evolved, manlier version of Mr. Sheffield from The Nanny. We thought he was so manly and commanding. So as a teenage girls, both men did it, just in a different way.

Women, for the majority, are wired to like the "brooding romantic" type. The whole romance novel genre is based on this notion and its the best selling genre. We love commanding, authoritative, brooding mysterious men with a charming, romantic edge. A Dalton would totally fit the romance novel type but the rest not. (Except for Craig, who would also fit, incidentally. So whereas we could appreciate Brosnan's look, we also half the time felt we wanted to slap his smug face.

Incidentally, your comment about his looks being outdated for women by the late 80s is an interesting one. What was the "in" style then? Big muscly Stallone types? Perhaps there's some truth in that. Once again, I wasn't around but that could have had some effect, I suppose.

That's what I was thinking. Stallone. Arni etc. And at the other extreme wimpy types like Depp.

Dalton's look harks back to a previous era - the Burt Lancaster era but with a bit of Errol Flynn's rascalishness thrown in for good measure.

I think to an extent Dalton was a victim of poor marketing for LTK. The film was not handled well in the US and underperformed. Although TLD was well received and I think most people were happy with TD's performance, I don't feel EON managed perceptions of Dalton that well. He's a bit retiring in front of the interview camera - charming but reserved. I just don't think he or EON handled his public image that well.

The way the films and actors are managed these days is a million miles away.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Dalton's look harks back to a previous era - the Burt Lancaster era but with a bit of Errol Flynn's rascalishness thrown in for good measure.
    Dalton does have the feel of an old-fashioned "movie star", doesn't he?

Getafix wrote:
    Dalton does have the feel of an old-fashioned "movie star", doesn't he?

That would be my view. I feel he 'looks' very much in the Sean and Roger leading man tradition. Others disagree though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Getafix wrote:
    Frankly, most of the women I know preferred Brosnan to Dalts, which I find totally odd.
    My Wife says that Brosnan was very pretty, but Dalton had the slightly dangerous Alph-male thing going on that was unmistakable.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    My Wife says that Brosnan was very pretty, but Dalton had the slightly dangerous Alph-male thing going on that was unmistakable.

I totally agree with your wife! I can see the appeal of Brosnan but Dalton is far more attractive IMO. He has a dangerous air about him which is quite irresistable.

I also see similar traits in Craig which is probably why they are my favourite Bonds.
    PeachyKeen wrote:
    I also see similar traits in Craig which is probably why they are my favourite Bonds.
    This is funny, my Wife says Craig isn't very attractive... :-?

Welcome Peachy!!!
  • chrisisall wrote:
    PeachyKeen wrote:
    This is funny, my Wife says Craig isn't very attractive... :-?

Welcome Peachy!!!

Thanks!

I dont think Craig is physically attractive like Dalton, but he has the same air of 'bad boy'/ danger which makes him appealing. Dalton was the full Bond package though.

I actually think Brosnan looks better now he's older and greyer! A bit more 'worn in'. I didn't find him attractive in the least during his Bond tenure.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 173
    Welcome indeed, Peachy! Glad to have another fellow Dalton fan on board :D. Curious to see if you're a female. No matter if you're not, either way it's good to have you.
    I love this thread. A haven of sanity.
  • Getafix wrote:

Or at least a common form of dementia. :P

(And I'm a Dalton fan!)

• Regan wrote:
    Welcome indeed, Peachy! Glad to have another fellow Dalton fan on board :D. Curious to see if you're a female. No matter if you're not, either way it's good to have you.

Yep, I am a female and a life long Bond fan. Also been a life long Dalton fan so when the two came together .....

PeachyKeen wrote:
    Regan wrote:

Yep, I am a female and a life long Bond fan. Also been a life long Dalton fan so when the two came together .....

That's great, I became a fan of both this year, 1st of Dalton... then saw his 007 films and got hooked on Bond.

• Regan wrote:
    That's great, I became a fan of both this year, 1st of Dalton... then saw his 007 films and got hooked on Bond.
    Mr. Dalton won me over with his performance in The Lion In Winter. I just think he is a phenomenally gifted actor.

Getafix wrote:

Or at least a common form of dementia. :P

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Dat's funny! :))
    Regan wrote:
    Mr. Dalton won me over with his performance in The Lion In Winter. I just think he is a phenomenally gifted actor.

I think it was Wuthering Heights that did it for me. I read the novel earlier this year and loved it so much I looked for the film adaptations. I saw the Ralph Fiennes one and it just wasn't that good. Then kept reading about how amazing the Dalton one was so I went hunting for it. I absolutely loved it. One thing led to the other and eventually I landed on his Bond films, which I thought I'd hate because I always heard he was the "worst Bond" or something along those lines. I wasnt keen on watching them. My main exposure had been Brosnan and I just didnt like the character much. Plus, the Brosnan films I'd watched, DAD and TWINE I found boring and overblown.

I was amazed by how great the Dalton movies are and after watching them I couldn't get enough of 007. I walked around in a daze the next day and I couldn't get it out of my mind. I never thought 007 could be so interesting and provocative, genuinely dangerous and relatable. I had never seen it in that light and it completely changed my views on what 007 is and what it can be.
  • Regan wrote:
    I was amazed by how great the Dalton movies are and after watching them I couldn't get enough of 007. I walked around in a daze the next day and I couldn't get it out of my mind. I never thought 007 could be so interesting and provocative, genuinely dangerous and relatable. I had never seen it in that light and it completely changed my views on what 007 is and what it can be.
    Mr. Dalton went back to the source material, and there was a reason the source material was very popular before movie one was ever made.

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,243
    Getafix wrote:

The thing is that some outstandingly beautiful women I have met over the years love the Dalts. But in women's magazines, they will talk more about Sean so many will veer towards him. People in general have herd instinct and will tend to go with popular consensus.

I rarely see Dalts mentioned until recently and that will change perception. My friend's girlfriend was impressed by him. And it was spontaneous too. She had not heard of him until she saw the film my friend recorded from Sky.

Now my friend's girlfriend saw the film without knowing the negativity Tim once got. But my friend was happy as at least she likes one of his favourite Bonds.

Dalton has a classic look as Bond and over time I think appreciation will grow. I mean I thought Moore looked great and certainly saw no drop in quality looks wise when Tim came along.

• RC7RC7
    My girlfriend also rates Dalts as the most attractive Bond. She also claims she like Craig's interpretation but simply considers him ugly. Can't argue with the woman, she's far too hot for me.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    RC7 wrote:
    My girlfriend also rates Dalts as the most attractive Bond. She also claims she like Craig's interpretation but simply considers him ugly. Can't argue with the woman, she's far too hot for me.

It does not surprise me. I am a straight guy, but would be nervous if a young Dalton was around my woman. :) No kidding, but he has killer looks and unusual.

• My ex thought Dalton was the best looking. My fiance now prefers Brosnan and Craig.
    My attractiveness/hotness ranking would be:

1. Dalton

And then probably:
    2. Connery
    3. Brosnan
    4. Craig (for the body)
    5. Moore
    6. Lazenby
    Dalton is the only actor from the past Bond's i feel had the acting chops to Pull off CR QOS and Skyfall. I admire him for trying to save us from the camp Bond Moore gave us for years and for given the second best performance of Bond i've seen in LTK (the film ain't no great shakes but his performance is top class). He looked the part and was let down by he material (more so then Brosnan)

Third on my Bond list bhind Connery and Craig
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,189
    I will admit to you Daltonites that your beloved Tim did some interesting things with Bond in his two films, and I have recently begun to appreciate his performances more than I did in the past. However, their can be no denying that Tim has nothing on Sean, because as much as Dalton may have done that was interesting or new, Sean not only pioneered the role, he embodied it by creating the character in his own image in a way that was wildly popular and hugely successful. Dalton also tried to re-create the character but he wasn't being honest to himself, he was putting on an act, and it showed. This is perhaps why his tenure in the role was cut short because Tim was not a natural Bond, while Sean was effortless in the role because for the most part he isn't acting at all. This is why Sean has an unparalleled magic on screen which cannot be beat, and why Dalton was not given a third try.