Music Composers you would like to see score a Bond film

edited December 2012 in Music Posts: 1,964
IDK if theres a thread on this if there is throw it my way.

Im a big fan of soundtrack music. I have all the Bond soundtracks and some other movie soundtracks. Some of the great composers have scored Bond films John Barry, George Martin, Bill Conti, David Arnold, Thomas Newman all great composers. But there are some great composers that I would love to see score a Bond film. Heres some of them.
John Williams, James Horner, Hans Zimmer I loved the scores that they have done on their films and all 3 I think would be great to score a Bond film.

So I ask you this are there any music composers that you would like to see score a Bond Film? Please tell me i love to know

Comments

Alberto Iglesias. He's done excellent work during his career, especially with thrillers.

• Zimmer. I would love to hear what he'd do with a Bond soundtrack.

Elfman might be an interesting choice, too.
  • My only choice would be Ludovic Bource...
  • I'd like to see Ludovic Bource doing one...
    Alan Silvestri or James Newton-Howard
    It's shame so many of the greats are now dead or retired, but my short list would have to include:

John Williams
    James Horner
    James Newton Howard
    Alan Silvestri (Good call @Dalton12)
  • How about Bear McCreary ?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    Michael Giacchino (on the strength of his work on Alias)

Murray Gold
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Anyone notice this isn't news? Post in the correct section please, folks. Moved to "music" (figures, doesn't it?) :-w

Gerard wrote:
    Michael Giacchino

Excellent choice. I might also consider Don Davis and perhaps even John Ottman. (I said: perhaps.)

fjdinardo wrote:
    John Williams, James Horner, Hans Zimmer

Williams is a god but he's 80. Let's be frank.
    Horner is a good composer but I doubt Bond is his style.
    Zimmer... mèh. Don't know. Sometimes he rocks. Often he just repeats the same of the same of the same, all run 60 times through a computer.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Anyone notice this isn't news? Post in the correct section please, folks. Moved to "music" (figures, doesn't it?) :-w

Gerard wrote:
    Michael Giacchino

Excellent choice. I might also consider Don Davis and perhaps even John Ottman. (I said: perhaps.)

fjdinardo wrote:
    John Williams, James Horner, Hans Zimmer

Williams is a god but he's 80. Let's be frank.
    Horner is a good composer but I doubt Bond is his style.
    Zimmer... mèh. Don't know. Sometimes he rocks. Often he just repeats the same of the same of the same, all run 60 times through a computer.

Hey you never know all of them can probably do a great Bond score just in their own ways. It be interesting to hear their version of a Bond score
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Thomas Newman, again.

Failing that, Clint Mansell, John Murphy or James Newton Howard would do a good job of it.
  • AliAli
    edited December 2012 Posts: 319
    Thomas Bergersen. Part of the trailer music production company Two Steps From Hell and also a member of Hans Zimmer's production team. He's hugely versatile and responsible for the music in these:

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    How about John Murphy?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Mansell, definitely.
  • Ali wrote:
    Thomas Bergersen. Part of the trailer music production company Two Steps From Hell and also a member of Hans Zimmer's production team.
    That could be interesting.

• AliAli
    Steve Jablonsky could do a pretty varied score. His Transformers scores were the only decent thing about the movies:

And yet he's also responsible for Desperate Housewives!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Michael Giacchino
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    Murray Gold
    Bear McCreary
  • AliAli
    I'm a massive fan of McCreary, but I don't think his very heavily percussive style would work, and would be at odds with the main Bond themes. All 4 of his BSG soundtracks are in my top 10 of all time though.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ali wrote:
    I'm a massive fan of McCreary, but I don't think his very heavily percussive style would work, and would be at odds with the main Bond themes. All 4 of his BSG soundtracks are in my top 10 of all time though.

Have you heard His theme for Human Target?
  • AliAli
    I'm still hearing the softer BSG moments. It also reminds me of his theme for the Dark Void video game (though without drums)....

He's a fantastic composer, but I can't see him doing Bond. Or, at least, a version of Bond that wouldn't get criticised.
  • One of the things I think McCreary has demonstrated is great range and versatility, as well as an ability to incorporate different musical styles from around the globe, so I could see him being quite entertaining and successful with a Bond soundtrack
  • Han Zimmer.
    What about Lisa Gerrard? And have a soundtrack like Layer Cake with some additional music.
  • Han Zimmer.
    "The Barrel Rises!" :)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote:
    Harry Gregson-Williams

One way or another I have to make thus happen!
    - Michael Giacchino
    - Paul Leonard-Morgan
    - Nathan Johnson
    - Hans Zimmer
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    No RC Composers should be allowed near a Bond film.
    Honestly, I don't think John Williams would work well as a Bond composer. Especially not today.
  • AliAli
    No RC Composers should be allowed near a Bond film.

That's a bit of a broad generalisation. According to Wiki, 47 composers have, at some point, worked alongside Zimmer, including the likes of Trevor Rabin, Thomas Bergersen, Harry Gregson Williams and Lisa Gerrard.

Sure, some of the composers sound very much like Zimmer-lite (though you argue that Zimmer himself is now Zimmer-lite as he seems to have become very predictable of late) but that's only because producers approach RC with a Zimmer style score in mind, so that's what they get. But I know that most of the talented composers there could do a lot more if given the chance to shine.