The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The way Dalts flicks his eyes to the side when he says "believe me my interest in her is purely professional" is the indicator he's uncomfortable.

Yeah but his tone of delivery is killer. He sounds like a proper man. He says it as a thow away with little time to establish chemistry in the shot.

But he has a charm in the delivery. I don't think he was intimidated by the part and Cubby said so in his book. He said Dalton felt overshadowed by no one. He had a strong ego.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Getafix wrote:
    Are you suggesting that Darth Brosnan is on the Fleming side of the force?
    Depends on the movie/scene we discuss...
    Very uneven was he.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Out of all the other actors who have played Bond, I always got the feeling Dalton was the closest to being fanboy of Bond.

Agreed. Dalton was a Fleming purest and this is reflected in the 2x excellent films he was in!
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,687
    Dalton was in it for the acting challenge IMO. My belief is that when GE came up, he'd realized it was mainly formula cinema Bond, and that combined with turning 50 soon was why he dropped out, not the age thing exclusively.
    Is if fair to say that there has been a radical change in attitudes to Dalts over the past five years? He seems to have gone from the forgotten Bond to being widely recognised as one of the best. I have no doubt that DC's more serious tone has played a part in this, but perhaps it also due to the fact that the generation who grew up with Dalts are now writing the reviews and puff pieces in the press that all now seem to be praising him.
  • Anyone would of been an improvement from Moore after 1985, he had simply outstayed his welcome by that time, and Dalton came in and for his debut, did a most oustanding performance, I wouldn't have wanted anyone else in the part, then, and even today

Once again, it was such a pity, with the legal disputes of the time, he was unable to do a third release, or even a fourth, and while not finally qutting the role until 1994, perhaps it was just as well as I always maintain he was not appropriate for the part after that. Just a little too old, but Brosnan came in, and did an adequate job of it

Only he and Connery only ever came close to what Fleming originally intended
    Anyone would of been an improvement from Moore after 1985, he had simply outstayed his welcome by that time, and Dalton came in and for his debut, did a most oustanding performance, I wouldn't have wanted anyone else in the part, then, and even today

Once again, it was such a pity, with the legal disputes of the time, he was unable to do a third release, or even a fourth, and while not finally qutting the role until 1994, perhaps it was just as well as I always maintain he was not appropriate for the part after that. Just a little too old, but Brosnan came in, and did an adequate job of it

Only he and Connery only ever came close to what Fleming originally intended

I keep on hearing that Dc is the ultimate Fleming Bond. Why do you think he misses the mark?
  • He hasn't quite reached such a plateau as of yet

Doesn't quite have the same qualities as the other two is at least one way of describing it. He's a good Bond for sure, but just can't be put on the same level of the relevant names that arrived before him. But with at least one or two movies to come, he will have his chance to close in a little more

He hasn't quite reached such a plateau as of yet

Doesn't quite have the same qualities as the other two is at least one way of describing it. He's a good Bond for sure, but just can't be put on the same level of the relevant names that arrived before him. But with at least one or two movies to come, he will have his chance to close in a little more

That's my feeling. I desperately want to see him deliver the absolutely killer performance that I think he's capable of. My fear is that the script and story is never going to come his way. Plus, he is getting a bit long in the tooth. He looks a lot older than Dalton did in LTK, that's for sure.
    Getafix wrote:
    I keep on hearing that Dc is the ultimate Fleming Bond. Why do you think he misses the mark?

Daniel Craig is to Bond what Dean Cain was to Superman. And that's not a slam btw.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Daniel Craig is to Bond what Dean Cain was to Superman. And that's not a slam btw.

Who's Dean Cain?
  • Some people would even go so far to say Craig is Superman at times in his tenure

All we missed out on was having three banished villains from The Phantom Zone as decent adversaries, or two James Bond's fighting it out at a Junkyard to see which one prevails in the battle for good against evil..

Someone's sitting in Bond's favorite seat in a diner...

'would you care to step outside Mr Silva etc'
    Some people would even go so far to say Craig is Superman at times in his tenure

All we missed out on was having three banished villains from The Phantom Zone as decent adversaries, or two James Bond's fighting it out at a Junkyard to see which one prevails in the battle for good against evil..

Someone's sitting in Bond's favorite seat in a diner...

You are gonna get us into trouble! Watch out for the DC police!
    Getafix wrote:
    Who's Dean Cain?

The actor who did Superman in the "Lois & Clark/ Superman TV series:
    http://www.worldofsuperheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Deancain.jpg
    Likeable as Superman, did a great job, just didn't totally look the part IMO.
    That's funny. :))
    There might be a little Kryptonian in Craig's Bond at that.
  • You (sometimes) half expect Craig to use X-RAY vision or laser eyes or throw one of those plastic emblem's from his chest sometimes when you watch or even fly through the air..

All I'm saying, just seems a bit indestructable sometimes. There's a fine line in Bond between tough and far fetched when it comes to the actors capabilities. Just keep Bond (himself) realistic if you can
    Amen to that!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Ssssh guys, Germanlady and co are patrolling the streets outside. Talk too loudly about Craig not being that great and they'll kick the door down and demand you admit SF is the best Bond ever ;)

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/timothy-dalton-will-never-write-his-memoirs_3400198 :(

Shame he puts himself down like that. I'm sure people would be intrested if he marketed it right.
    Shame he puts himself down like that. I'm sure people would be intrested if he marketed it right.

I'd definitely buy a copy!
  • I'd like to add my voice to all of you in saying we own Timothy Dalton a lot.
    He took on the role and had to bring it back to basics, which we all know was asking a lot
    after Sir Roger long tenure. Only a very talented actor, and a couragous one at that, could accept the challenge.

Well, I liked "James Bond" before Tim accepted the role. On The Living Daylights first viewing on release date, I came from "I like James Bond films" to "I can't live without James Bond films". Timothy Dalton had that kind of an impact on me.

Well, Tim, THANK YOU, and live a long healthy life!
    Ssssh guys, Germanlady and co are patrolling the streets outside. Talk too loudly about Craig not being that great and they'll kick the door down and demand you admit SF is the best Bond ever ;)

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/timothy-dalton-will-never-write-his-memoirs_3400198 :(

Thanks for that link @TheLivingRoyale Tim is way too modest. I would pay good money to hear what he has to say.

Man, but it would be fascinating to read his history as Bond and all the rubbish he had to put up with with the media negativity.

And like someone else said, TLD had a huge impact for me when I saw it at Leicester Square. Tim is a major part of why I love Bond. I got into Connery afterwards because all I knew at the time was Moore. In the UK I rarely saw a Connery Bond on tv.

In fact my first Connery Bond I saw was DAF in 1988 on ITV.

• Ssssh guys, Germanlady and co are patrolling the streets outside. Talk too loudly about Craig not being that great and they'll kick the door down and demand you admit SF is the best Bond ever ;)
    That's rot.

• Respectfully, I disagree, Mr. Dalton. Personally, I would be very interested in reading your thoughts on what it was like to play the role. It's a role I think you did a superb job with, and an interpretation of the character I enjoy and respect very much.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 11,425
    That's rot.

No it's not. Remember, we did warn you.

Tim ranks at number 3 for me, after Sean and Rog. Perhaps had he done more I would have placed him at 2 above Rog. TLD is my favourite. LTK is not one of my favourites, although Tim is good in it. I think he probably should have taken over after OP and done 5 or 6 through to the mid 90s. A real shame things worked out the way they did.
  • Getafix wrote:

Tim ranks at number 3 for me, after Sean and Rog. Perhaps had he done more I would have placed him at 2 above Rog. TLD is my favourite. LTK is not one of my favourites, although Tim is good in it. I think he probably should have taken over after OP and done 5 or 6 through to the mid 90s. A real shame things worked out the way they did.
    No, I mean it's rot that people here are out to destroy anyone who doesn't say they think Craig's movies are the be all and end all. I think a lot of people are confusing defending why they like something with an intolerance of others preferring something else.

In other arenas, the sorts of eyewash that are forwarded here about others would simply be considered slander.

Getafix wrote:

No, I mean it's rot that people here are out to destroy anyone who doesn't say they think Craig's movies are the be all and end all. I think a lot of people are confusing defending why they like something with an intolerance of others preferring something else.

In other arenas, the sorts of eyewash that are forwarded here about others would simply be considered slander.

Thankfully things have calmed down a lot in the last week or so. I think it's inevitable to some extent that when a new film comes out things get a bit emotional and heated. The dust is slowly settling now and frankly everyone has said pretty much everything that needs to be said about SF. It's now for posterity to pass judgement.

But in the meantime we can all at least agree how great the Dalts was/is.
  • Getafix wrote:
    But in the meantime we can all at least agree how great the Dalts was/is.
    In this we very much agree; I think Mr. Dalton gave a wonderful portrayal of James Bond.

It's funny how things have changed over the past decade. The Dalts was almost universally derided until quite recently and now the media seem to be falling overthemselves to tell us how great he was (like we didn't know all along).
    Getafix wrote:
    It's funny how things have changed over the past decade. The Dalts was almost universally derided until quite recently and now the media seem to be falling overthemselves to tell us how great he was (like we didn't know all along).

True. I always thought Dalton was fantastic. And this is coming from someone who only knew and loved Moore as Bond. Had he started in '83, we would have had at least a four film run.

And back when Brozza was playing Bond, I remember the editor of GQ magazine, Dylan Jones saying he rated Dalton and that it was a shame his era was cut short.

My friend's girlfriend watched TLD for the first time over the weekend and loved Dalton as well as the movie. She only knew Craig and Brosnan's films mostly. But she spontaneously said he looked great and was great. Good to know!

It takes a certain type of woman to appreciate the Dalts I think. It seems odd to a lot of male fans who think he's so great but he does not seem to be universally admired amongst the ladies.