Dalton as Bond: TLD vs. LTK

edited December 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 71
Which movie do you think Timothy Dalton gave a better performance as James Bond in?

Comments

LTK is one of the best Performanes from an Actor playing Bond . Intense and cold hearted when it comes to taking out the bad guys. Isn't it the first time Bond ever headbutt someone. Dalton was slighly let down by the script but his performance is a 10/10 for me.
    He was good in Both but I think his performance in LTK is Fantastic.LTK was a very very serious movie that fitted Dalton's approach to Bond better. I think Dalton did a good job of conveying Bond's feelings of friendship with Felix and Della in a few short scenes. That made more believable his feelings of rage and the need for revenge when Della was killed and Felix was wounded. I also admired the way he portrayed Bond's craftiness as he ingratiated himself with Sanchez. I think the Bond character is smoother and more sophisticated in the way he carried out his revenge.
  • Licence To Kill is the one I just can't get out of my head. Love it, and love Dalton in it.
  • He was great in both, but LTK Bond is somewhere the character had never gone. LTK for me.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    He was almost perfect in both.

The Living Daylights is a more classic outing, although he has layers of depth, subtleties, to his characterization.

Licence To Kill, featured a more animalistic interpretation, where Bond loses his sheen of sophistication, exposing the blunt instrument beneath. For most of the movie Bond fights with his heart, the personal nature of the story clouding his judgement, making his aim sloppy. It is only once Bond learns about the stinger missiles is he finally able to treat his vendetta as a mission, and he finally gains control of the situation.
  • He was brilliant in both. I think he basically played the character the same way in both anyway so I can't choose.
    Thats what i love about Dalton's Bond he had the suave side but deep down inside he had the dark cold hearted killer. Brosnan never had it which is why i think his films lack the darkness and thats why Dalton was missed until Craig's Bond who took it a step futher.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    lahaine wrote:
    Thats what i love about Dalton's Bond he had the suave side but deep down inside he had the dark cold hearted killer. Brosnan never had it which is why i think his films lack the darkness and thats why Dalton was missed until Craig's Bond who took it a step futher.

How exactly did Craig take it a step further? What did he do that Dalton hadn't?
  • He was good in both, but he seemed more comfortable in LTK. Also, he was great in expressing the wrath that Bond felt when Felix died, or in the resignation scene. The furious glance that he gives to M is something extraordinary. Shame that he never did a third Bond movie. He deserved it.
    He was brilliant in both, but LTK edges it for me. I found that film to be one of the closest to Fleming in terms of violence and tone.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That's really tough, both performances were so good- I guess I enjoyed his performance more in LTK because there was just so much more meat to it...
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 42
    Almost too close to call - in LTK he gave a marvellously nuanced performance, but I do prefer TLD as a film.

TLD was the first Bond movie I ever saw at the cinema, and it just blew me away. This was Fleming's Bond, pure and simple; ruthless when required, doggedly persistent, capable of kindness and brutality in equal measure and with a healthy disregard for the rules when it suited him - qv the "stuff my orders" line to Saunders.

Both in my all-time top 5, but on reflection TLD wins on points.
    Both in my all-time top 5, but TLD wins on points.

Yes, I prefer TLD as a Bond film as well.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    TLD. I like Kill but it feels too "80s American" in parts and some of the production is poor (going from night to dawn in a second), though it has some standout qualities - namely Davi.

I prefer Dalton overall in TLD too. He's more reserved.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    He was brilliant in both. I think he basically played the character the same way in both anyway so I can't choose.

I think LTK does feature a progression of the Bond seen in TLD. I love both films, they're my #'s 1 & 2. I just so happen to preffer the classic tone of TLD.
    TLD for me. Much as I like Dalton's performance in LTK I just enjoy TLD more.

I've never heard TD express an opinion but I suspect he prefers TLD too.
    Getafix wrote:

He does. The person who interviewed him says so in my James Bond Unmasked book.
  • He was brilliant in both. I think he basically played the character the same way in both anyway so I can't choose.

I think LTK does feature a progression of the Bond seen in TLD. I love both films, they're my #'s 1 & 2. I just so happen to preffer the classic tone of TLD.

I have LTK as no 1 and TLD as 2. I love both but LTKs villian and story put it ahead for me.

I think Dalton was the same in both. He still had all the usual cinematic Bond stuff, he cracked the odd joke, he was suave, etc. But he had a much darker side than any of the others, a side of him that was brutal and hated his job.

I just think LTK showed that darker side more than TLD did.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Surprises me that, as I thought Dalton would have preferred LTK. That film was specifically written around Dalton, whereas TLD still had an element of a Moore hangover in certain parts, as the script was written before Dalton was cast.

BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Surprises me that, as I thought Dalton would have preferred LTK. That film was specifically written around Dalton, whereas TLD still had an element of a Moore hangover in certain parts, as the script was written before Dalton was cast.

He thinks its "too dour" apparently - and I agree with him. I suspect his falling out with Glenn on set didn't help much either.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    He thinks its "too dour" apparently - and I agree with him. I suspect his falling out with Glenn on set didn't help much either.

Ohhhh...I never knew that. What was it over?
    BAIN123 wrote:

I think Glenn wanted to focus on action but Dalton wanted more character. Something like that anyway. The two allegedly ended up shouting at eachother.

I have LTK as no 1 and TLD as 2. I love both but LTKs villian and story put it ahead for me.

I think Dalton was the same in both. He still had all the usual cinematic Bond stuff, he cracked the odd joke, he was suave, etc. But he had a much darker side than any of the others, a side of him that was brutal and hated his job.

Precisely why I appreciate Craig and appreciate them equally.

BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I think Glenn wanted to focus on action but Dalton wanted more character. Something like that anyway. The two allegedly ended up shouting at eachother.

I wonder what Dalton thinks of SF. Anyone got any info on that?
    He was brilliant in both. I think he basically played the character the same way in both anyway so I can't choose.

I think the issue I have with Kill is its overall tone. While Kill does have some good ideas there are moments that just feel more like a generic action film to me (the fight in the bar, the stuff with the Ninja's). You almost forget its a Bond film at times.

Daylights has a bit more of a "classic" feel to it.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837

Precisely why I appreciate Craig and appreciate them equally.

All imo:

I think Dalton did the darker Bond better. When Craig was being a darker Bond I didn't like the whole rookie angle and I didn't get the sense that he hated his job like Dalton did.

I think Craigs best performance is SF and he's much more light hearted in that, he has more funny lines. He felt more like Connery than he did Dalton and to be honest I think he's better at that.

Dalton was really good at doing a darker Bond (who did have some funny lines). Craig was alright in CR and QOS but I think he felt like Dalton, except he was a rookie and wasn't as good.

With SF I think Craig has shown he's better as sort of an all rounder. Leave the darker Bond to Dalts.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I wonder what Dalton thinks of SF. Anyone got any info on that?

I don't know. I saw an interview with hin recently in which he praised DC and CR - but he hadn't seen SF at that point.

I suspect he would have enjoyed it.
    Leave the darker Bond to Dalts.
    Someday, a new actor might be able to do it, but yeah, presently Dalton owns the dark Bond thing.
  • I enjoyed Sir Timothy Dalton's performance in License to Kill.
    I have to say there is more meat on the bone for him to get his teeth into in LTK so I would go for that one.

But his performance in TLD was a gamechanger. Like a bucket of cold water thrown over the audience after nearly twenty years of lovable Rog...