Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton ?

edited November 2012 in Actors Posts: 10
who would be your pick and why ?

Comments

Both of them - because they're both great in their own unique way.
  • Mr. Dalton by a country mile for me. Mr. Dalton and Mr. Craig are my two favorite actors in the role, probably because they seem the closest to the character found in the books, which is how I was introduced to the character and the character I became interested in.

That said I have enjoyed some of Mr. Moore's performances, but more in a purely escapist sort of way.
  • Dalton for his take on Bond but i do think Moore comes over as a nicer bloke offscreen.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Mr. Dalton by a country mile for me. Mr. Dalton and Mr. Craig are my two favorite actors in the role, probably because they seem the closest to the character found in the books, which is how I was introduced to the character and the character I became interested in.

That said I have enjoyed some of Mr. Moore's performances, but more in a purely escapist sort of way.

Tut tut! Enjoying Bond as pure escapism? Whatever was Roger thinking of? Next we'll have people saying Bond films are supposed to be enjoyable and entertaining. Don't know what the world is coming to...
  • Getafix wrote:
    Tut tut! Enjoying Bond as pure escapism? Whatever was Roger thinking of? Next we'll have people saying Bond films are supposed to be enjoyable and entertaining. Don't know what the world is coming to...
    What were you trying to accomplish here?

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    In truth, I enjoy them both. They are different men, but both come from the classic era. My favourite Moore is TMWTGG as well as FYEO.

I said this before, but it was Moore who suggested Dalton to Cubby back in the 80's. Of course, Dalts was on the radar without Moore realising it.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Tim Dalton by a long chalk. Roger's my least favourite Bond, but I still enjoy watching (most) of his films. But to me Dalts is Bond.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I respect Mr Dalton very much for attempting to bring Flemings bond back - but you can't beat good old Rog :D

"what a helpful chap!"
    Until Daniel Craig, Timothy Dalton was the only actor I could imagine playing Bond as he appears in the Ian Fleming novels.They're rather different as actors

Moore was a leading man while Dalton was primarily a serious stage actor.

Dalton did a great version of Bond, but of course Moore was very popular with the audience for many years.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Sheesh...where are the admins slamming down on this thread?! Surely this has been done a million times before? :P

Just stirring (not shaking...)

Anyway...Dalton for me. TLD was the film that got me into Bond. As a kid I was swept up in the fanfare leading up to the 15th Bond and 25th anniversary. And I started reading the books immediately after and could easily imagine Dalton as Bond. Therefore, while I enjoyed the Moore films I also couldn't shake how different they were from the novels. And he was swiftly placed behind Connery and Dalton as my preferred 007. But as I've gotten older Ive appreciated Moore and I especially appreciate how vital he was to keeping the franchise alive. Without him Bond wouldn't be what he is today and I think you can't really say the same for Dalton or Lazenby. Also, Moore films that I used to dislike intensely such as Moonraker I've actually enjoying reevaluating and defending (although that's probably more to do with my contrary nature!) whereas films I thought were ok, like MWTGG and DAF, I now don't care for at all.
  • I'd much rather watch Tim Dalton as James Bond... but I'd personally prefer to hang out and smoke stogies with Sir Roger the raconteur.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can appreciate that Moore made Bond his own, really I can, but there really is no contest. Dalton did so much more with the character, imo, with less than half the films Moore did.
    On second thoughts, as much as I love TD, I have to say Sir Rog. 7 movies and almost a decade and a half of 'pure escapism'! Respect where respect is due.
  • Well, I will say I don't think I'd have been nearly as appreciative of what Mr. Dalton brought to the role if I didn't have Mr. Moore's performances to contrast it against.
  • Dalton by a wide margin
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 173
    Moore
    (just kiddin').

Although I enjoy both and I fully appreciate Moore for the effortless charm, I much prefer Dalton on all accounts.

The why: He's just the perfect embodiment of sophistication and genuine danger. Could as easily pick the perfect wine or sistematically eff you up if you rub him the wrong way.
  • For me Dalton.He was dark, he was ruthless, and he managed to show precisely what Bond was all about: a merciless, calculating, professional assassin.Ironically, the very characteristics that got Dalton slammed are the very same things that the Bond producers are praising Daniel Craig for.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Both of them - because they're both great in their own unique way.

They're both great in their own way, I agree, but I prefer Dalton overall. He WAS Bond.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I'd be more likely to vote TD if he'd been able to bang out another couple of decent Bond movies, but as it stands, I feel you can't argue with TSWLM, FYEO and OP, plus good scenes in all the others Roger movies.

What am I doing? Never thought I'd find myself arguing against the Daltinator on mi6community...? It's a sign of the times how much the Daltinator is back in fashion. A friend of mine was telling me how much he liked SF the other day, but then conceded that none of the DC movies was as good as TD's.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    I'd be more likely to vote TD if he'd been able to bang out another couple of decent Bond movies, but as it stands, I feel you can't argue with TSWLM, FYEO and OP, plus good scenes in all the others Roger movies.

What am I doing? Never thought I'd find myself arguing against the Daltinator on mi6community...? It's a sign of the times how much the Daltinator is back in fashion. A friend of mine was telling me how much he liked SF the other day, but then conceded that none of the DC movies was as good as TD's.

Dalton's films are good but there is no way they are better than CR and SF

I'm pretty sure Dalton would genuinely agree with me too. Craig has had better directors for one thing.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dalton did say that not getting to make CR was his only regret, but that has nothing to do with Craigs films.

TLD & LTK blow CR, QOS & SF out of the water in my view. SF is Craigs best Bond, but even then it's an average Bond film.
    Dnt get me wrong. I like Dalt's movies but both had some "hold-over" moments from MOore's era. What I love about CR is that it really does start a fresh. There aren't many moments that make you think "that would have suited a Moore/Brosnan film".
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I like a more languid pace for Bond movies, this 21st Century ADD action film making has me yawning at times. Dalton's movies weren't perfect, but they were old school. I miss that dearly, but change is inevitable.
    Oh I don't mind action, sit me in front of a Van Damme film and you wont hear a peep out of me. But I would like to see the series return to the realmS of spy thriller such as DN, FRWL, FYEO & TLD.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    Dnt get me wrong. I like Dalt's movies but both had some "hold-over" moments from MOore's era. What I love about CR is that it really does start a fresh. There aren't many moments that make you think "that would have suited a Moore/Brosnan film".

That's what I don't like about it actually. No need to make it a reboot. For one thing, I reckon Craig was too old to do play a rookie. They ditched Q and Moneypenny only to reintroduce them later, and things have pretty much gone back to normal anyway. What is the point?

In a way, I think SF is what CR should've been. It feels sort of like a reboot but it actually bothers to introduce the secondary characters and adds some gadgets and more humour.

They'd changed direction tons of times before. FYEO, TLD, TWINE, etc. They could've easily gone back down to earth and made CR virtually the same, without the reboot.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Dalton would genuinely agree with me too. Craig has had better directors for one thing.

Better directors? Mendes has bought some talented people along and Campbell did some brilliant action scenes but neither of them have been able to do what John Glen did and churn out consistently good (except AVTAK) Bond films for almost 10 years. Mendes is already on about having a rest after doing one, Campbell did 2 in the space of 11 years.

Technically they might have better directors but none of them have been able to do what Glen did. Glen is my favourite Bond director.

CR is alright and I really liked SF but I think TLD and LTK are much better. I think Dalton is one of the only Bonds to have never done a bad film (the other is Lazenby). True he had a shorter era but LTK was much better than QOS and his 3rd film sounded cool.
    BAIN123 wrote:

That's what I don't like about it actually. No need to make it a reboot. For one thing, I reckon Craig was too old to do play a rookie. They ditched Q and Moneypenny only to reintroduce them later, and things have pretty much gone back to normal anyway. What is the point?

In a way, I think SF is what CR should've been. It feels sort of like a reboot but it actually bothers to introduce the secondary characters and adds some gadgets and more humour.

They'd changed direction tons of times before. FYEO, TLD, TWINE, etc. They could've easily gone back down to earth and made CR virtually the same, without the reboot.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Better directors? Mendes has bought some talented people along and Campbell did some brilliant action scenes but neither of them have been able to do what John Glen did and churn out consistently good (except AVTAK) Bond films for almost 10 years. Mendes is already on about having a rest after doing one, Campbell did 2 in the space of 11 years.

Technically they might have better directors but none of them have been able to do what Glen did. Glen is my favourite Bond director.

CR is alright and I really liked SF but I think TLD and LTK are much better. I think Dalton is one of the only Bonds to have never done a bad film (the other is Lazenby). True he had a shorter era but LTK was much better than QOS and his 3rd film sounded cool.

John Glenn is a good director and was the last of his kind (i.e. be part of the Bond family before becoming a director) but IMO Campbell and Mendes have a bit more...umph to them style-wise.
  • Without hesitation Dalton. I can't find a weakness in any of his performances as James Bond. Tim "more like a problem eliminator" Dalton brought a brutal, ruthless side Moore was never able to project.

However, I'm glad Roger Moore took up the role. Some would say his tenure was too long, but my 2 Moore favorites Bond films are Octopussy and A View To A Kill.
    However, I'm glad Roger Moore took up the role.
    Me too. In the early Seventies, there really wasn't a better choice out there.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Me too. In the early Seventies, there really wasn't a better choice out there.

Timothy Dalton was 29 when LALD came out wasn't he? I think he would have been perfect at that age for a CR adaptation (ala Craig). His youth would have made the whole rookie angle believable. I do agree that for just the regular Bond mission, Bond should be a more mature man... about 35 to 40 years old like Dalton himself once said.
    Regan wrote:

Timothy Dalton was 29 when LALD came out wasn't he?
    But unlike Connery at the same age, he REALLY looked young then.