Fix A Bond Film

Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 40,371
Surely everyone has a favorite Bond film, and no matter how much you like it, there are more than likely some things you would change about it. In this thread, list your favorite film, and anything you would have changed about it, whether it be goofs, fates of characters, exclusions of certain quotes, an elongation or a decrease of a certain scene's running time, a different score, etc.

Mine is GE. Off the top of my head, just little goofs and nuisances that bug me: the PTS' plant magically appearing at the bottom of the dam (though some speculation has led me to believe that, although it's an obvious location change, he and Trevelyan could have climbed a good ways and arrived at the plant), Bond not having to reload during the Archives scene, Bond's mat being visible as he slides down the pool at the bottom of the crane, and after some thought, the death of Boris just wasn't very satisfactory to me. I may have liked it more if he had died with the pen explosion, or was impaled from the crane collapse. The former would have been quite ironic.

So, what's yours, and what would you like to change about it?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FRWL(tied with CR infinitely) didn't show Blofeld's face. I like when you see the villain's face. It lets you see who you're supposed to root against in the film. Though I wanted it, I am glad the film didn't show it to be honest. It set the mystery up for the next films where Blofeld was the main baddie and became more than just a man with a cat, and more a challenge for Bond. Also in FRWL, I wish that the final fight with Bond and Grant was more outright. I didn't want Bond to use the briefcase tear gas to get Grant, but somehow disarmed him at the cabin entrance. I would rather have that than Bond having to trick Grant. But it is also Grant's own fault for falling for it, and Bond gave him justice. I'll try and think of fixes for CR If there are any, but until then, good topic @Creasy!
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited August 2011 Posts: 1,986
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Interestingly enough I find this to be one of the biggest mistakes, to show Blofeld too early. FRWL and TB had a really nice vibe with the faceless villain leader, something missing in YOLT. And I say this not because I found Donald Pleasence to be a bad Blofeld, I really liked his look and his character, I just found that showing Blofeld was very underwhelming.

-- Now I know this topic has been created before, but not specifically for our favourite flick, If I recall it was about any changes we'd like in any flick. So I'd like to link this one in her ebut keep them both open.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thanks a lot, @0Brady! I agree with what you said about Bond disarming Grant with the tear gas. I share the exact same thoughts with DAF, and Bond disarming Peter Franks by shooting him with the fire extinguisher. If he had just hit him with it and sent him over the edge, I would have been a lot happier with it. Still, it's a great fight. See, it's little things like that: you change them, makes the film much better.

CR is my second favorite Bond flick, so if this topic goes strong, I might have to make a list of things I would change once I re-watch it again at the end of my Bondathon.
    DAF - at it's core I consider it my favorite, though I sometimes have a hard time justifying it (OHMSS or GF will overtake it often). But that's probably because there are just 1 or 2 tweaks I would fix--and they are an easy fix, and you've probably heard me say this time and time again: put the deleted scenes back in. This would clear up the plot confusion. Also, I would dress up the finale a little more and extended it a bit--have Bond chase down Blofeld on his Bathosub, something like that to give it a more satisying end.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thanks a lot, @0Brady! I agree with what you said about Bond disarming Grant with the tear gas. I share the exact same thoughts with DAF, and Bond disarming Peter Franks by shooting him with the fire extinguisher. If he had just hit him with it and sent him over the edge, I would have been a lot happier with it. Still, it's a great fight. See, it's little things like that: you change them, makes the film much better.

CR is my second favorite Bond flick, so if this topic goes strong, I might have to make a list of things I would change once I re-watch it again at the end of my Bondathon.
    I can't hold off on it any longer @Creasy. I'm giving CR a watch tonight. I'll see if I spot anything and we'll compare thoughts after you give it a watch.
    @0Brady, sounds good. It may take me a while, as I'll be getting back in the groove of college in a day or so. Can't wait to see your list, though, and I'll update when I have mine.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Film: The Living Daylights.

Fix: The casting of Felix Leiter.

How: Replace John Terry with Stacy Keach. I really don't think Terry is the worst Leiter, but i'd be willing to loose him in favour of seeing Keach take the role.

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Film: TB.

Fix: The continuity errors, most notably the scene where Largo rips off Bond's blue mask, Bond grabs a black mask off a dead SPECTRE frogman, then amazingly his mask turns blue again..

How: In this day and age, perhaps digital computer technology could fix it with making the mask black in the shots where it's supposed to be black.
    How: Replace John Terry with Stacy Keach. I really don't think Terry is the worst Leiter, but i'd be willing to loose him in favour of seeing Keach take the role.

Mike Hammer as Felix? Intriguing casting choice. Just curious, Major. Since you and I are both Dalton/TLD fans, what do you think of the idea of Lee Horsley, TV's Matt Houston, as Leiter for the 2 Dalton flicks?

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,882
    To be honest PKK, I couldn't say. I've seen you mention his name, but it's the first time i've heard of him, so I can't really comment on him. I've looked at his IMDB page, and nothing there rings a bell.
  • OHMSS - Bond to lose the kilt - fashion faux pas. Also love the angels of death theme with the brainwashing but to what end?- Blofeld's wish to have & clean slate and retire with a title just seems plain silly to me. What's wrong with holding the world to ransom for mega bucks like the good old days?!!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    From Ruusia With Love - the hand wave and back projection.

That is all.
    Goldeneye. get rid of the cliff dive stunt. Make the model work slightly less obvious - esp towards the end and have one scene with Natalya in a revealing dress ;)
    @BAIN123, what cliff dive stunt are you talking about, exactly? Do you mean the bungee jump from the dam? If so, why? I'm quite curious.
    No I meant the freefall after the aeroplane. Its kinda silly. Could have maybe had him get in the plane, throw out the pilot (with no scuffle) and have him take off just before the plane goes over the cliff.
    @BAIN123, thanks for bringing that to my attention, because I totally agree. What throws me off is that a moving airplane is caught by a falling Bond. There is no way he would have caught up with it before it crashed into the rocks. I think it would have been better if they went with what you said: throw the pilot out, he gets smashed by the motorcycle, and then take over with Bond in the pilot's seat, attempting to bring the plane up before it crashes.
  • Goldeneye. get rid of the cliff dive stunt. Make the model work slightly less obvious - esp towards the end and have one scene with Natalya in a revealing dress ;)
    Agreed on the "plane chasing" stunt - although I would have liked to see Bond clinging to the doorway as it dropped off the cliff and then climbing through the plane to the pilot's seat.

As for Natalya she was in the white bikini top on the beach - which was in the centre of the screen until she dropped down beside Bond!

@0Brady, sounds good. It may take me a while, as I'll be getting back in the groove of college in a day or so. Can't wait to see your list, though, and I'll update when I have mine.
    Alright @Creasy, I gave CR a watch, and either it's perfect or I love it so much I am blind to the problems. Hopefully you're more critical.
    @0Brady, I'll be getting to it soon! Had to put my Bondathon on pause for a while, still in training up here at my college. Once classes roll around and I get back into the groove of things, I'll give it a go and let you know my complaints - if any.
    Sounds like a deal @Creasy. Good look with your schooling til then.
  • Goldfinger:
    -Bring in a few more locations: I know it's following the book, but other than Miami and Switzerland they're a bit drab.
    -Get some better actors for the mob's convention, Gert Frobe saved the scene but their delivery was almost painful.
    -...that's about it. It's an almost perfect film.
    GF: Lose the Beatles/earmuffs line.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Agreed on the "plane chasing" stunt - although I would have liked to see Bond clinging to the doorway as it dropped off the cliff and then climbing through the plane to the pilot's seat.
    That would have made a WORLD of difference! I agree completely! Diving after it and then getting in was just too much I think
    I don't have to think much. It's either Goldfinger or Moonraker, and there's in nothing that should be fixed. Anyone who says there is something to fix, is not a REAL Bond fan. Just kidding. I just cant find any fault in these movies. Sure. Someone doesn't like Bond going to space and someone doesn't like the double-taking-pigeon. But heck. I like them just they way they are. This is my honest complement, because I've been out drinking. When you've been out drinking, you're in your most honest mode. Honest!
    I'm not sure if SF has reached the number one rank in anyone's list (or close to the spot), but if so, what would you still change about it?
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    As much as I love it I think Licence To Kill should've had a better theme song (since it was the time of the original line up I'd vote for Guns n Roses) and the locations could've been made to look nicer.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I always thought the theme song from license to kilt was a reference to Bonds Scottish roots !
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm not sure if SF has reached the number one rank in anyone's list (or close to the spot), but if so, what would you still change about it?
    Skyfall is my number 1 Bond film. So....

- Touch up the CGI on those Komodo Dragons, or somehow make them look a little more convincing (animatronics or something)

Yep, that's about it.

I've heard a lot complaints about Skyfall's CGI, but honestly the only sub-standard stuff I saw was with the Komodo Dragons.
    @SJK91, would you replace the komodo dragons with something else, or only touch up on the CGI of them?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For GoldenEye, I'd add in all the deleted scenes. Make a perfect movie, even more perfect. :)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @SJK91, would you replace the komodo dragons with something else, or only touch up on the CGI of them?
    I would not get rid of them altogether, just polish them up or find a way to make them look more convincing. But as it stands, I do like the concept.