The Dark Tower

Comments

Yes! I see Javier Bardem as the Red Grant type mercenary going toe to toe with Bond and Ralph Fiennes the Blofeld type villain working behind the scenes. If EON can somehow pull that off...

The bad guys and their henchmen in the last 4 Bond films have been lacking
    Even Le Chiffre? I think he is one of the best Bond villains, he is so different from the others and really memorable, especially thanks to the torture scene.

As for Bardem: he is a great actor, I am hoping everything works out and he'll be able to join the cast.
    i feel the villains of the Craig era are better then Brosnan (I loved Le Chiffe and Greene so sue me) but the henchmen have been weak I'd like a Fiennes as main villain Bardem as henchmen combo.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's quite something that all three have been known for a while and there's now a chance that Bardem, Fiennes and Harris will all join the film. If that is pulled off, Bond 23 will have one of the best casts a Bond film has ever had.

By the way, Universal must greenlight The Dark Tower by the end of next month otherwise the rights revert back to King, so if that happens Bardem will be 100% free as he'll have no upcoming films.
    It's quite something that all three have been known for a while and there's now a chance that Bardem, Fiennes and Harris will all join the film. If that is pulled off, Bond 23 will have one of the best casts a Bond film has ever had.
    Is there any limit to EON's payroll these days? Those are some big names already contending now with Craig and Dench, in addition to Mendes and Deakins--the latter who is arguably the biggest DP in the business at the moment.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/21/ron-howard-rush-dark-tower/

With "The Dark Tower" talking a long time to go into production (and reportedly having trouble staying under budget already), Ron Howard is now looking at filming "Rush", an account of James Hunt and Niki Lauda's rivalry in Formula 1 the late 1970s (with the "Senna" documentary being received so well, Hunt/Lauda was the next step). Funnily enough, "Rush" would be penned by Peter Morgan, who did "The Queen" and "Frost/Nixon" and was originally on-board for "Bond 23". If Howard does "Rush", that will (possibly) free Bardem up for "Bond 23" if he is still interested.
    If filming takes us beyond March we're OK.

Maybe this is a sign Universal aren't going ahead with The Dark Tower, then?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/sequels-and-prequels-coming-in-2012-and-beyond-2306253.html

according to the independent the film is co starring Javier Bardem

"Bond 23 stars Daniel Craig in his role as 007, after a break since 2008's Quantum of Silence. Directed by Sam Mendes and costarring Javier Bardem."

but considering a lot of their other information is wrong (Ghostbusters 3 will never come out and Prometheus is an original story NOT a prequel to Aliens) this is most likely wrong to but still Javier Bardem is still being referenced in terms of bond 23.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Is there any limit to EON's payroll these days?
    More than anything, it probably depends on who their financial backers are on each individual film - and I suspect Sony/ Columbia have quite deep pockets... ;)
    i feel the villains of the Craig era are better then Brosnan (I loved Le Chiffe and Greene so sue me) but the henchmen have been weak I'd like a Fiennes as main villain Bardem as henchmen combo.
    I think the henchmen were not so much weak as underused. Elvis could have been the next Vargas, not physically impressive yet sinister. I think it is time we a henchman who can be a physical menace to Bond. Stamper was in TND, but he had little personality, a poor clone of Grant. I don't want a clone, just someone who can emulate the antagonism between Grant and Bond. The good thing about Bardem, if it is the role he will play, is that like Robert Shaw he is a skilled actor. Often, they had henchmen played by men who were imposing physically but had limited acting skills. So there can be some really good scenes between Craig and Bardem, where the fight can be slowly built and prepared.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    It seems the director of The Dark Tower, Ron Howard is gearing up to direct Rush with filming set to begin early next year. If this happens that March start won't happen and Bardem will be completely free to do Bond.

This is the month after all that we find out if Universal will go ahead with The Dark Tower or not, so maybe Howard knows something, hence he's already moving on...

We'll know for certain by the 1st of August.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Ron Howard is gearing up to direct Rush with filming set to begin early next year
    Can't wait for that one !!
    Ron Howard is gearing up to direct Rush with filming set to begin early next year
    Can't wait for that one !!
    With Chris Hemsworth as well. Should be good.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/between-thor-turns-chris-hemsworth-revs-rush/
    The Dark Tower is not going forward. Universal would only commit to a single film and Howard said no. In short this means Bardem is free to do whatever he wants with a very tempting offer on the table for a certain film that begins filming in November. ;-)

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/universal-wont-scale-stephen-kings-the-dark-tower-studio-declines-to-make-ambitious-trilogy-and-tv-series/#more-147942
  • http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/universal-pulls-plug-dark-tower-29209

"The Dark Tower" sleeps with fishes.

Universal's ambitious adaptation of Stephen King's fantasy series has been cancelled, TheWrap has confirmed.

The first film was slated to begin production this summer, but shooting was delayed last spring with the studio announcing that it needed to make the project more cost-effective.

That temporary delay become permanent this week, and now deprives Universal of a film series that it had hoped to make a linchpin for its film slate for years to come.

All told, the project was supposed to involve three movies and a television series.

Bah! Hemsworth would be completely miscast as James Hunt.
    Yeah, we've known that for a while now.
    I probably would have liked to watch The Dark Tower, but if this frees up Bardem for Bond 23, then that's plenty of consolation.

Bah! Hemsworth would be completely miscast as James Hunt.
    Who cares if Ron Howard is the director?
    I probably would have liked to watch The Dark Tower, but if this frees up Bardem for Bond 23, then that's plenty of consolation.
    argeed!

Who cares if Ron Howard is the director?
    Uh, because James Hunt was ... well, an oddity. He was a playboy who abused alcohol, frequently used marijuana, was generally outspoken about the politics of the sport and back-markers and upset more than one delicate ego, usually the team principals. James Hunt was probably the closest thing Formula 1 has had to Sid Vicious, and I just can't see Hemsworth pulling it off. He's a bi too clean-cut for the role.

I could, however, see him as Niki Lauda, Hunt's rival. Lauda was a lot more professional and softly-spoken than Hunt - focused, determined, and committed.
    It seems The Dark Tower may now be ready to go - we'll find out in two weeks - and Bardem is out:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/warner-bros-has-dark-tower-decision-looming-and-russell-crowe-is-in-the-mix/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It feels just like yesterday that Bardem was heavily rumored to be in 'The Dark Tower,' and we feared that he wouldn't be in SF. Oh, how time flies by.
    Warner Brothers has backed out too:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/did-warner-bros-just-bypass-gold-on-the-ground-by-dropping-the-dark-tower/#more-321889

Stephen King on the matter, said: "The Dark Tower, to me, and I'm not unbiased because I'm the writer on this thing, but to me it looks like gold on the ground waiting to be picked up."

With Warner Brothers out it could be years before this makes it to the screen, now.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Dammit, why can't AMC just pick it up as a series? The Walking Dead is doing great there.
    Third time lucky?

Now, Media Rights Capital is in talks to finance the films:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/did-warner-bros-just-bypass-gold-on-the-ground-by-dropping-the-dark-tower/
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2012 Posts: 4,416
    Media Rights Capital means that the movies possible going to be released by Sony. Elysium a movie from next year by Sony. Ron Howard made The Davincie movies for Sony and possible also going to make the the third movie, so mabey Sony made a bigger change. There also make a movie for Universal, but Universal whas the first studio in talks before Warner.

I don't believe it that there whant make 3 movies from the 8 books and 2 mini series, i not read them but why not make 9 (The last one in 2 movies) or 4 movies (1 movie for 2 books), 1 tv series from the movies (like Millenium) and canceld the idea of 2 series. If 4 and 1 series Ron Howard can direct everthing, if 9 movies then there search to another or 2 directers for number 4-9.

Warner whant take the risks i think, but at the moment there make The Hobbit movies who take time in far 2015 with extented version also. There did LOTR and also Harry Potter, Twilight and there last 4 movies project before the Hobbit alread started and that be Hunger Games. That's easier to believe then there say there be out of money like Fox said this for Independence Day 2 and 3. Harry Potter, Batman and Avatar deliever a lot of money. The strange other thing be that the last Twilight movie and The Hunger Games in The Netherlands and Belgium are not released by Warner but by a unknown/starter Belgium companny, but from the other side Universal release some Paramount movies, whyle Paramount is also owner of Avatar.

M_Balje wrote:
    Media Rights Capital means that the movies possible going to be released by Sony. Elysium a movie from next year by Sony. Ron Howard made The Davincie movies for Sony and possible also going to make the the third movie, so mabey Sony made a bigger change. There also make a movie for Universal, but Universal whas the first studio in talks before Warner.

It's all making sense now. Thanks for this information @M_Balje.
    M_Balje wrote:
    I don't believe it that there whant make 3 movies from the 8 books and 2 mini series, i not read them but why not make 9 (The last one in 2 movies) or 4 movies (1 movie for 2 books), 1 tv series from the movies (like Millenium) and canceld the idea of 2 series. If 4 and 1 series Ron Howard can direct everthing, if 9 movies then there search to another or 2 directers for number 4-9.

I've also thought this. Three films isn't enough. Why not make the films one at a time, like Narnia or The Golden Compass. I know those two series did not get all the books made for the screen but this seems like the best idea. It worked for Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger Games, so why not try with The Dark Tower?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Personally, why don't they just make a TV series? That's probably the only way to get everything from the books onto the screen. And, please, don't ever again do the whole "split the last book into 2 movies" thing the aforementioned three series did. It annoys me. If you so badly want to include everything, split all of the books up into multiple movies.