The Dark Tower

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited August 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 13,350
Deadline are reporting that Bardem is close to sealing the deal to star in <i>The Dark Tower</i> films. That's all well and good but production begins in September, when Bond will likely be getting ready to shoot, so has he chosen this over Bond and actually turned down a Bond film? Maybe he didn't like the script?

What are your thoughts on this? I can't see there being any way of him doing both.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/javier-bardem-closing-dark-tower-deal/

Comments

• edited April 2011 Posts: 19,339
    Bond would definately be filming Nov-Dec so it will clash for sure.Maybe he didn't fit into B23 rather than him turning it down.This should be interesting to see what happens.
    Good spot Samuel.
    (Or it depends how big his part is in Dark Tower,and if he would be ready to join the Bond crew in Dec maybe.)
  • You know, I'd probably be way more interested in this flick if it wasn't being written by Akiva Goldsman. :-S

Still, Bardem's a great choice for the part and I'm sure he'll end up being one of the best things about the series. It'd be a shame for the 007 franchise if this news means he won't be available for Bond 23, but I think a director like Mendes will be able to attract a suitable replacement.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting barryt007: (Or it depends how big his part is in Dark Tower,and if he would be ready to
    join the Bond crew in Dec maybe.)
    He's got the lead role, so it'll be one or the other. He's been offered the lead villain by EON. This news has really burst my South Africa bubble.

In interviews Bardem's said if a script jumps out at him or if he thinks it's good enough, in that moment he'll say yes and sign onto the project. Obviously The Dark Tower has a much better script than Bond 23. And he said such nice things about the series.
    Quoting Samuel001: Obviously The Dark Tower has a much better script than Bond 23.
    Or it could just be a bigger part in Dark Tower than he would have in Bond 23. Afterall, in Dark Tower he would be the lead (from what I hear).
    Can't see why he can't do both. Maybe he films Bond scenes in Dec or Jan. Or whenever they can get it in. They can make it work. You guys aren't production experts, no offense.
    @jaguar007 And no doubt more money!

@The_Reaper, with one actor having the lead role in one film and the second lead male in another, I can't see that working out it'd be an awful lot of work. I'd love to see it happen, mind.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Maybe we're missing something? Could the recent 'news' about Ralph Fiennes signing on effectively be a sign that the former is replacing Bardem for the role in Bond 23? I wonder...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited April 2011 Posts: 4,399
    @St_George

I thought that same thing as well.... having both Fiennes and Bardem in one film, as villains? - that's a lot of star power to share half the bill with...

so I am willing to hedge a bet, that EON signed on Ralph, knowing that Bardem might be lured away to another larger (and more lucrative) role - and who knows, conversations might have already gone down prior to Fiennes being brought on board... either way, i am sure this hasn't come as a shock to EON at all..

always in a situation like this - you just don't put all your eggs into one basket - because if Bardem turns it down, you need a backup plan.. and i couldn't think of a better plan B than Mr. Fiennes.....

....... if this has all indeed played out as we both suggested........ we'll see though..
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quoting St_George: Maybe we're missing something? Could the recent 'news' about Ralph Fiennes signing on effectively be a sign that the former is replacing Bardem for the role in Bond 23? I wonder...
    Good point, SG.

I may be wrong but I do think Fiennes is the more famous name in this discussion. Whether he's more bankable as well is something I can't tell. Anyway, he never fails to bring good talent to the equation - even the Ratner flick Red Dragon was graced with a good if not great performance from Fiennes. Then there's Dead Fish, however... Still, I'm so looking forward to Ralph in a Bond film; it's something I've been hoping to see since the 90s.

Bardem may come into play in a few years, who knows.
    From what we've been told Bardem and Fiennes were looking at different roles. I can see Bardem's role - the lead villain - being recast but to join Fiennes in Bond 23 not replace him.

I'm very interested as to where this all goes as things should start to get busy soon.
    i think that Bardem should be chosen to act in Bond 23 he fits as henchman or villain.i doubt they didnt choose him so probably he turned it down.but why??
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 23
    Early, early days on this one.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting ZorinIndustries: Early, early days on this one.
    Man's got a point; some common sense indeed there, ZorinIndustries... :)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited April 2011 Posts: 4,399
    Quoting St_George: Man's got a point; some common sense indeed there, ZorinIndustries... :-)
    very true... but it also depends heavily on how demanding their roles for each project are - and logistics as well.... say, if Dark Tower is going to be filmed in New Mexico, and Bond 23 is in South Africa - i doubt that they will be jetting back and forth constantly on a daily or even weekly basis, if filming were to take place at the same time.....

when your confined to a set, or 1 or 2 shooting locations - it's a little easier to work around, then say a schedule in which your globe trotting every few weeks - like the Bond pictures seem to do...

no doubt, that actors will double up on roles, and rather often too - but things have to correctly fall in place for it to happen... it just can't happen on a whim..

Quoting PanchitoPistoles: There is still hope!
    Sounds promising (I mean to us Bond fans wanting Bardem! :-D).

I think Bardem has the ability to produce a much more interesting villain than we've seen in years. The last few since TND, have felt more factory-produced villians: especially Mathieu Amalric--what a waste of good talent in that film!).

I picture Ralph Fiennes to be more of your serious, tough-guy villain. I think of the villain he played from In Brugges, and in a way this seems boring to me for some reason.

So I think I would prefer Bardem: it would be exciting to see him and DC go toe to toe.
    With the September start not happening this indeed means that Bardem could be free. Depending on how much The Dark Tower is delayed this may even be up until April - when Bond 23 will finish filming.

Fingers crossed Bardem takes another look at EON's offer.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 4,619
    "Universal [...] has pushed the start date for the first film back from this fall to some time next year." http://www.slashfilm.com/the-dark-tower-stays-universal-smaller-budget-schedule-pushed/

So, as of now Bardem won't be unavailable when the filming of Bond 23 starts.
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,350
    "Universal [...] has pushed the start date for the first film back from this fall to some time next year." http://www.slashfilm.com/the-dark-tower-stays-universal-smaller-budget-schedule-pushed/

So, as of now Bardem won't be unavailable when the filming of Bond 23 starts.
    But if filming on The Dark Tower does start in February, Bardem will only be available for half of the Bond 23 shoot. Maybe he'd be able to double up for the other half?
    Sony reps in Australia just confirmed Ralph Fiennes is in BOND 23.
    Any source for this news at all, shadow...? :)

That's not surprising though I can't find anything online about it.

Thanks for the tip shadow!
    Not as yet, I'm afraid. It's third-hand information at the moment.
    Not as yet, I'm afraid. It's third-hand information at the moment.
    So if you've got it from someone who's got it from from someone else, how sure are you of the info?
    It was posted on another forum by someone who has been pretty accurate in the past.
    Ah, right. OK then. I'm sure Fiennes will be in Bond 23 but having confirmation of his involvement soon would be great. We need something on the next film!
    It seems Bardem is not confirmed for The Dark Tower just yet. Also "early spring" for the start of production could mean Bardem will have time for most of Bond 23. Well, two thirds of it without any crossover.

He could be our main villain yet!

“We had to pull back to our September start date due to budget delays and ongoing story development and logistical issues, but Dark Tower is moving forward,” Howard said. “We’re thinking of starting in early spring now. I can’t really say who’ll be in it yet, but Javier Bardem has shown a great deal of interest. We’ll know by the end of the summer, when our flashing green light goes solid.”

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/24/ron-howard-dark-tower/?_r=true
    I hope so.

Actually i hope we get some new bond 23 news soon.
    Some interesting quotes are in this new interview with Ron Howard. He seems to think The Dark Tower still may not have it's filming underway by March - meaning Bardem could do 4 - 5 months of the 6 month Bond 23 shoot and also says when they do begin he hopes Bardem is "available and will join us", does this mean he has a Bond film lined up? ;-) I think it does!

DEADLINE: Still, there were rumors last month that Universal might let The Dark Tower go. That hasn’t happened but they did push the start date to early next year. Why has it been so hard to get underway?

HOWARD: The first version represented a bold attempt to fast track, because of weather concerns. It was a little more dramatic to people on the outside than to us. We’d have liked to move forward on that fast track, but it was always Phase One. There was an understanding that if we couldn’t answer all the questions in a way that made sense to all the partners involved, then we would operate on a slightly more traditional timetable. Even if we go in March, that’s still moving quickly for something of this scale.

DEADLINE: Is Javier Bardem set to play the main gunslinger Roland Deschains?

HOWARD: Nobody is pay or play but he has said he wants to do it. We’ve spent a lot of time together. He’s fascinated by the character and has great instincts for Roland. I’m hoping when we go, he’s available and will join us.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/qa-imagine-partners-brian-grazer-and-ron-howard-on-25-years-together/
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I really want Javier to be a Bond bad guy!

The bad guys and their henchmen in the last 4 Bond films have been lacking and wimpy.

The last one that even came close to giving Bond a good fight was Mr. Stamper in TND!!