Why is Goldfinger the general favourite?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2012 Posts: 15,686
    I hate TWINE, CR and QOS, and stongly dislike DN. Apart from that, I love all 18 other Bond films.

I knew about the first three, but I didn't know you weren't a big fan of DN. How come?

It's just too slow. DN makes GF look like Statham's 'Crank'. Connery is amazing though, but the movie feels like it's 5 hours long. I always have trouble not to stop the film after the first half.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DN makes GF look like Statham's 'Crank'.

Hilariously, you just compared GF, a film I hate, to Crank, another film I hate.

I do understand what you mean about the pace, though. DN does feel like its longer than its runtime, but by the end of the film, the energy kicks in and it's a very wonderful payoff.
  • Dr. no is extremly slow.
    I'd say that the 4 first and OHMSS are extremely slow, atleast for being Bond movies. This isn't too much of a bother when I watch them randomly, but in a Bond marathon I sometimes struggle with it.
    I'd say that the 4 first and OHMSS are extremely slow, atleast for being Bond movies. This isn't too much of a bother when I watch them randomly, but in a Bond marathon I sometimes struggle with it.

^^Youngsters [-(
    Though not my personal favorite Bond flick, GF is the quinsential Bond film. It set the standard by all Bond films are ranked and it "had it all"
    Bigger than life villain
    Buff henchman
    Beautiful women
    Great soundtrack
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'd say that the 4 first and OHMSS are extremely slow

You find YOLT quick? The only good thing I can say about GF is that it's faster than YOLT. (However, I prefer YOLT.)

Yes, I completely agree with you! DN, FRWL, GF, TB, and OHMSS are all very slow in pacing, but I'd also throw in YOLT too. The first six really are exceptionally slow paced, and even though I love FRWL and TB and like DN, I'd be lying if I said they weren't slow-paced. However, I let it slide with these three because they make up for it in a lot of other areas. As for GF, YOLT, and OHMSS, they remain my bottom three under any circumstances.
    I'd say that the 4 first and OHMSS are extremely slow

You find YOLT quick?

Compared to the other 60's Bond it is IMO. Even outside of that, I am satisfied by its pacing. The only parts that drag IMO are Bond's japanese makeover and the fake wedding. I think those scenes should have been scrapped. Otherwise YOLT is a great movie IMO.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 126
    Although ,I think The U.S. military faking being asleep and letting Goldfinger just waltz into Ft.Knox with an atomic device is pretty stupid.

I never really understood the reasoning behind that. Why did they do that?! As soon as Pussy got word to Felix, why didnt the army just attack Goldfinger's place in Kentucky and take him out there?

I'm assuming they wanted to make sure they got the atomic device , but that was awful risky.

I would have captured Goldfinger in His Kentucky home, and beat him till he confessed where the Bomb was. Then again, that would be a crap ending.

Also, not only was the Army in on the "faking asleep" plan, but if you watch closely, the Good civilians of Kentucky were in on the Plan. lol They must have announced it on the radio.

Btw, that scene in YOLT where Bond is fighting on the roof, is a great shot!! I dont think Scorcese could have done that better. One of the best moments in the History of the series. I wonder if it was in one take?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,492
    00Beast wrote:
    Yes, I completely agree with you! DN, FRWL, GF, TB, and OHMSS are all very slow in pacing, but I'd also throw in YOLT too..

It must be a generational thing. They like quick cuts. I bet they cant make it through Laurence of Arabia or Gone with the Wind.

But think Transformers is the dogs bollox.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Yes, I completely agree with you! DN, FRWL, GF, TB, and OHMSS are all very slow in pacing, but I'd also throw in YOLT too..

It must be a generational thing. They like quick cuts. I bet they cant make it through Laurence of Arabia or Gone with the Wind.

:)) Seriously though, I think GF and DN are boring (the others aren't though). Oh yeah, and I like Laurence of Arabia and I think Transformers is shit (I was born in the 80s)
    [

:)) Seriously though, I think GF and DN are boring (the others aren't though). Oh yeah, and I like Laurence of Arabia and I think Transformers is shit (I was born in the 80s)

My six year old nephew loves Transformers. I think he might be the demographic its aimed at.

Although ,I think The U.S. military faking being asleep and letting Goldfinger just waltz into Ft.Knox with an atomic device is pretty stupid.

I never really understood the reasoning behind that. Why did they do that?! As soon as Pussy got word to Felix, why didnt the army just attack Goldfinger's place in Kentucky and take him out there?

I'm assuming they wanted to make sure they got the atomic device , but that was awful risky.

I would have captured Goldfinger in His Kentucky home, and beat him till he confessed where the Bomb was. Then again, that would be a crap ending.

Also, not only was the Army in on the "faking asleep" plan, but if you watch closely, the Good civilians of Kentucky were in on the Plan. lol They must have announced it on the radio.

Though I, too, hate this scene, I can somewhat understand it from their point of view.

They have no idea where Goldfinger's nuke is. For all they know, it could be at his compound. If they were to just raid the compound, Goldfinger could flip the switch and vaporize part of Kentucky, leaving the area a fallout zone for years. Going along with the plan was the only way to safely retrieve the weapon and get Goldfinger, though only one of those objectives was achieved.
    actonsteve wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

I have actually never seen Transformer, and I have no desire to because I am not a fan of Transformers. By the way, you didn't read the rest of my post where I stated that I highly enjoy FRWL and TB and also really like DN. It's GF, YOLT, and OHMSS I have a problem with.
    I think that FRWL has the best pure story, but Goldfinger has an aura of spectacle and style that makes a broader audience enjoy it. Thunderball's like that too.
    FRWL is a pretty gritty, dark, and kinda kinky story, and to me it looks like a Hitchcock-directed Bond film, which I enjoy.
  • @agent007391

Yeah, you're right. I guess that was the only way.
    Note: Just because I gave a possible explanation for a plot hole does not mean that I'm in any way claiming this is a good film.
  • yeah, I know you hate it, agentoo7391. lol
  • I agree with the guy who started the thread. My favourite Bond film is FYEO. My favourite with Connery is TB, followed by FRWL. Other movies I would put as better than GF: OHMSS, TMWTGG, LALD,TSWLM, MR, GE, CR and QoS.
    I watched goldfinger last week for the first time in years. I thought it was great.

I was surprised at how funny the humour is, and how cool Bond is. The first 30 mins has Bond revealing his DJ, "positively shocking", the seduction of Jill Masterson, "an overdose of Bombois", the fantastic golf scene, "man talk".

There's more charisma in the first half hour thn in the whole of the 90s.
    Goldfinger is a Guy Hamilton's first Bond movie, therefore a certain lightness and humour which general public adored much more then original Fleming's cynical killer Bond. Bigger then life both Villain and Henchman. Incredible Richard Maibaum screenplay with deactivating Bond for the whole second part of the movie (prison) and it still works perfect. "Learn the rules then break them" - story of screenwriting with a lot of style. If I was United Artists chief I wouldn't give this a green light. Inactive Bond? No way. But someone did and there it is. John Barry's score, his best Bond score by his own words.
    All packed in a glossy shiny cinematography, much more then Terrence Young films.
    Goldfinger is a happy movie, not gritty. General public wants light entertainment on a weekend, they want to laugh and be entertained and they want glossy escapism.
    "Lets enjoy!" - Guy Hamilton. Well that was 1964.

Today similar happens with Skyfall which also breaks the rules: all goodies in it make radical incompetent mistakes, there is even no happy end in it, and it's still an incredible hit across the globe. Happy aniversary and long live, Bond!
    Along with the iconic formula, song, gadgets, and pussy it is likely the first bond seen by people and the first will always hold a special place. Likely why I like tswlm more than I should.
  • For me, Goldfinger represented the transition from Bond the assassin/spy to Bond the Superhero.

Which I didn't personally enjoy, though it certainly was successful.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For me, Goldfinger represented the transition from Bond the assassin/spy to Bond the Superhero.

But there was nothing superhuman about Bond in Goldfinger, or during most of Connery's era.
    For me, Goldfinger represented the transition from Bond the assassin/spy to Bond the Superhero.

But there was nothing superhuman about Bond in Goldfinger, or during most of Connery's era.

This is true (except, I think, in certain parts of Diamonds Are Forever).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

This is true (except, I think, in certain parts of Diamonds Are Forever).

Hence "most". I disown DAF anyway.
  • The least said about Diamonds are Forever the better. Although, it did have Jill St John and Wint and Kidd, so all was not lost

Always raises a laugh when I see 'why is Goldfinger the general favorite'

That may be due to those that have been casual watchers, or not even a fan of the series, or don't know James Bond too well

Once again and for the last time. It may be a classic in some eyes, but I can't see beyond that it's merely a dull insipid 'adventure' with a bored looking Connery that never gets off the ground and one of the weakest entries ever
    The least said about Diamonds are Forever the better. Although, it did have Jill St John and Wint and Kidd, so all was not lost

Always raises a laugh when I see 'why is Goldfinger the general favorite'

That may be due to those that have been casual watchers, or not even a fan of the series, or don't know James Bond too well

Once again and for the last time. It may be a classic in some eyes, but I can't see beyond that it's merely a dull insipid 'adventure' with a bored looking Connery that never gets off the ground and one of the weakest entries ever

You're not alone, my friend! Seems that you and I have been challenging the Goldfinger craze for quite some time now! Definitely agree with you, a really weak entry, to put it mildly.
  • I think all the people who enjoyed it were hypnotized after the movie to say they enjoyed it, that can be the only rational explanation

You've got Connery, who was the very epitome of the Fleming creation until 1987, in the first two releases, make his first appearance that year, coming out of some water with a plastic duck on his head FFS

and just to reiterate, Pussy Galore as a (sexy) best ever, Bond girl ?

Blackman is/was a fine actress but her character was instantly forgettable

The only redeeming features are some fun (dubbed) lines from Gert Frobe, the Sekata character, The Golf game at the beginning, and the finale at Fort Knox, Kentucky. Other than that, there really is nothing much to get involved in