James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Just watched 3 Bonds on blu-ray.

LALD
    FRWL
    CR

My first time seeing the first 2 on blu-ray, and the picture quality is just AMAZING! Still can't believe that these movies were made in the 60s and 70s.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Finally ordered YOLT, TSWLM, and OHMSS from Best Buy online, after the fiasco of incompetence I experienced with the employees at my local store. But, of course, the films are on backorder, so I will (hopefully) receive them over my Thanksgiving Break, and can manage to use my free SF tickets that come with them to see the film a few last times. I hope it's in theaters for at least a month.
  • I have the The James Bond Collection - Special Edition 007 DVD set in a nice tin box.
    Region 2 although I live in the states, but that's another story....
    These DVDs have some nice extras including the making of documentary's with Sir Patrick McNee narrating etc...
    My question is this .Does the new Blu - ray 50th anniversary set have the same extras as these older DVDs ?
    Trying to work out if it's worth selling the older set, and replacing this with the newer set if they have the same extras ?
    I would appreciate any feedback.
    Thank you.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    macdrummer wrote:
    I have the The James Bond Collection - Special Edition 007 DVD set in a nice tin box.
    Region 2 although I live in the states, but that's another story....
    These DVDs have some nice extras including the making of documentary's with Sir Patrick McNee narrating etc...
    My question is this .Does the new Blu - ray 50th anniversary set have the same extras as these older DVDs ?
    Trying to work out if it's worth selling the older set, and replacing this with the newer set if they have the same extras ?
    I would appreciate any feedback.
    Thank you.

The blu-rays have all the extras from the Ultimate Edition (2 disc) DVDs. Bond 50 is damn good value for money and the picture quality (especially on the early films) is excellent.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    I don't know whether it being a one off helps or not. Good to know the others look alright. Thanks.

Aye, the rest look great. I think the problem with Goldeneye is that MGM wanted to fix the framing for the blu-ray release, so they found a cheap old transfer lying about, gave it a quick gloss and threw it onto the disc.
  • Thanks Lancaster that info is helpful.
    Will check out the Ultimate Editions now and compare.
  • I was curious and checked the various Amazon sites regarding availability of the "Skyfall" blu-ray. While it is not even in the catalog in France and Italy, You can at least ask the US, UK, Canada and Japan sites for an e-mail notification when it is available for pre-order. On the German Amazon site, however, it is available for pre-order already. Guess what I am looking foreward to having in the mail on March 1, 2013 . . ?

;)

Speaking of mail: believe it or not, the Italians sent away my "On her majesty's secret service" and "The spy who loved me" blu-rays yesterday -- one day prior to release in Italy. I am impressed. All I got from France on release day of that Brosnan blu-ray box I had ordered was a notification about a delay of two or three weeks. Go, Italy . . !

Maybe my discs are crossing the alps as I write this . . .

:)>-
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    1st March is the release date in Germany? Their Amazon is usually one of the first to have DVD/BD release dates.
  • What about sound? The Bond 77 disco of TSWLM had too much hi-hat percussion last I heard, quite off putting.

GF's brassy notes and golden tingle notes only really sound great in analogue surely, it's a bit tinny in digital ya think?
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    1st March is the release date in Germany?

Yes it is. Here -- see for Yourself (it is "1. März 2013"):

http://www.amazon.de/James-Bond-007-Skyfall-Blu-ray/dp/B009YELWVY/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1352313761&sr=1-2

Speaking of amazon.de -- might I add that their "Bond 50" blu-ray box has now hit the EUR 129,- mark on its way down? As of today, that translates to 103,01 GBP -- the British Amazon remains unbeatable . . .

;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Just bought the 50th Set and enjoying it! :)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    1st March is the release date in Germany?

Yes it is. Here -- see for Yourself (it is "1. März 2013"):

http://www.amazon.de/James-Bond-007-Skyfall-Blu-ray/dp/B009YELWVY/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1352313761&sr=1-2

Speaking of amazon.de -- might I add that their "Bond 50" blu-ray box has now hit the EUR 129,- mark on its way down? As of today, that translates to 103,01 GBP -- the British Amazon remains unbeatable . . .

;)

Nice cover. ;) That date is a Friday too, so the 1st may well be the release date. That will be the earliest for a Bond film as well. Exciting news. Well spotted.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 822
    Just got TLD. Will be watching it before the midnight showing of SF tomorrow. :)
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Nice cover. ;)

Agreed . . .

;)

Also, there is no "artwork TBC" marking or the like: I think, it is the actual planned cover. The only thing that is preliminary in the design is the FSK 12 logo, but I do not think the blu-ray will get a different rating. There is a note below the cover illustration that says, "FSK 12 beantragt" -- translating to "application for FSK 12 filed". FSK means Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle and is a voluntary self-regulation of our movie industry. Numbers behind the acronym refer to age.

There is an English-language FSK entry on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freiwillige_Selbstkontrolle_der_Filmwirtschaft
    April marks 50th anniversary for the Germans ;)
  • Tracy wrote:
    April marks 50th anniversary for the Germans ;)

Oh, interesting that You mention that. However, I think You are not quite right. Indeed, we did not get Bond in 1962, but the German premiere of "James Bond -- 007 jagt Dr. No" occured on January 24, 1963 (according to the intell gathered on my bookshelf; and to Wikipedia). The US got the film even later -- sometime in May . . !

P.S.: Might I add that my blu-rays from Italy arrived here yesterday? I am very happy with the services of Amazon.it -- as opposed to that of the dopes from Amazon.fr . . !

;)

The picture quality of "On her Majesty's secret service" is outstanding! Wow -- I am impressed! "The spy who loved me" is looking fine, but not as spectacular as that other disc, I think.

If anyone from France or Germany is considering to buy from Italy and would prefer to have the movies dubbed in their respective native tongue, than beware! The Italian product has lingue in Italiano, Inglese, Spagnole, Russo, Ceco, Ungherese, and Polacco -- so no German or French. Funny: my French Brosnan era discs included German dubbing.
  • I was wondering: is Germany the first country to get a Craig blu-ray three-pack? Its release date is March 1 -- the same day as the "Skyfall" blu-ray release . . .

http://www.amazon.de/Daniel-Craig-James-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B009YELX68/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1353520150&sr=1-5
    Bing, bing, bing! I think we have found our release date. Two products now point to that. Thanks @nethegauner.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    According to Amazon.com, the US release date for SKYFALL on Bly-ray/DVD is March 12. I hope they won't use this picture for the final cover...

81rijxdXkfL._AA1500_.jpg
    Could this mean it's 15th March for the UK? Great information, awful cover! :-&
    March 12, why the hell does it take so long to be released.
    It should be around late january.
  • gt007 wrote:
    According to Amazon.com, the US release date for SKYFALL on Bly-ray/DVD is March 12. I hope they won't use this picture for the final cover...

81rijxdXkfL._AA1500_.jpg

I see 007 Legends and Skyfall are setting a new tradition...
    NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Should be more like
    sfdvd.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I want Bond looking out at London, or him posed with a gun
    against a backdrop of maybe Skyfall on fire/or not on fire
    ? I dunno. The top box art isn't bad, but the white makes it bland and doesn't really pop. There isn't much stimulating the eye.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would love seeing a cover I don't expect, ala nothing from the posters. I've always thought that so many good shots exist in films that they could use for covers, but I'm sure this will be the same as all the others.
  • any idea what the price will be?
  • any idea what the price will be?

For the German March 1 release, the price currently is 19,99 EUR, but I guess it eventually will be around 15,-.

By the way: our cover uses that shot of Craig as proposed by TheBondFan -- plus London in the lower right corner. I strongly believe this cover art will be used internationally.

Again, check this:

http://www.amazon.de/James-Bond-007-Skyfall-Blu-ray/dp/B009YELWVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353658329&sr=8-1

• edited November 2012 Posts: 3,160
    This one is the bestlooking cover I have come across:
    23skyfallcustomcover3d.jpg
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Don't tell me that's the final cover art...