The realistic gadgetry thread

2»

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Looks very flying saucer-like from certain angles- more proof that flying saucers are the future of vehicle design...
    [img][/img]
    QBranch wrote:
    Looks very flying saucer-like from certain angles- more proof that flying saucers are the future of vehicle design...

It does. I think it is perfect for Bond. It is like the 21st century answer to the underwater Lotus. If Bond needed to travel over an ice lake to reach a villians' lair, this is the way to do it!

• edited November 2012 Posts: 5,745
    BondBug wrote:
    [img][/img]
    QBranch wrote:

It does. I think it is perfect for Bond. It is like the 21st century answer to the underwater Lotus. If Bond needed to travel over an ice lake to reach a villians' lair, this is the way to do it!

But, it's a German car. The Germans' lost their privileges to Bond in 1999 and (hopefully) sworn never to return.

( Lulz, I drive a BMW :P )
    The Lotus may have had far fetched capabilities and a futuristic design for its time, but it certainly didn't look like a spaceship. It'll be some time before we see Bond in something like the Volkswagen Aqua.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    QBranch wrote:
    The Lotus may have had far fetched capabilities and a futuristic design for its time, but it certainly didn't look like a spaceship. It'll be some time before we see Bond in something like the Volkswagen Aqua.

I'd love to see and Aston be a submarine Ala Nightfire.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 158
    Thanks to those who commented on the VW.

I see this hovercar as the equal to the Batmobile in that it is very exotic in its styling and would have the same wow-factor. Bond wouldn't drive this as his regular car - it would be relatively slow, but there would be times when he needs it.

It may look futuristic, but it is POSSIBLE. It has been built as a concept car and isn't unrealistic like the invisible car. This is a gadget that really could be built for Bond with today's technology.

I see existing cars with modifications as a bit dated - we have seen all that before!
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,889
    Murdock wrote:
    I'd love to see and Aston be a submarine Ala Nightfire.
    The technology exists today, so such a scene wouldn't come across as tongue-in-cheek for those in the know. We've seen them go underwater:
    Rinspeed 'sQuba':
    Rinspeed-sQuba-03.jpg
    we've seen them in the air:
    Terrafugia 'Transition':
    transition-car-plane.jpg
    but we haven't seen these babies in a Bond film, yet:
    Gibbs 'Aquada':
    carboat_380x225.jpg
    It's made in the UK (very handy) and as far back as 2004, Bond sponsor Richard Branson set a new record for 'crossing the English Channel in an amphibious vehicle'.
    Rinspeed 'Splash':
    hydrofoilcar3BAR_468x302.jpg

It's just a matter of time before someone invents a personal car that flies into space... :P

• edited November 2012 Posts: 14,816
    And why not "old" gadgets? They were by far the most realistic. The briefcase from FRWL for instance. We had the Aston Martin in Skyfall, and it was far more exciting to see it again than see some new, high tech and over the top missile clad, lazer shooting unvulnerable car. I think the use of gadgets in Skyfall was spot on. Why can't Bond use the same gadget twice, in two different movies?
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,889
    You mean like the PPK in SF had the same tech/function as the rifle in LTK? Yeah, this is cool- and it works because it's been 7 films/23 years since we seen it last- plus it's shown in a different form. A return of the briefcase would be welcome. Obviously you just update the accessories you can update, and dispose of the rest. Really, I want to see a return of the watch gadget. No lasers; no detonators. Just some straight-up espionage technology- whether it's surveillance (something that I cannot buy on eBay), hacking, defensive weaponry or an escape device. Also, let's see some of those moments where Bond's gadget fails him, and he must improvise.
    QBranch wrote:
    You mean like the PPK in SF had the same tech/function as the rifle in LTK? Yeah, this is cool- and it works because it's been 7 films/23 years since we seen it last- plus it's shown in a different form. A return of the briefcase would be welcome. Obviously you just update the accessories you can update, and dispose of the rest. Really, I want to see a return of the watch gadget. No lasers; no detonators. Just some straight-up espionage technology- whether it's surveillance (something that I cannot buy on eBay), hacking, defensive weaponry or an escape device. Also, let's see some of those moments where Bond's gadget fails him, and he must improvise.

Actually I was not even thinking about the LTK gun. For me, this one was coincidential. But yes, it is an "old" gadget I guess, used in a different way. And I agree with you: sometimes gadgets should fail Bond.

• LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    -a gun-umbrella ("gunbrella") to be used by 007 or one of the BG. Which protecting part becomes bullet-proof if required.
    -hard poison set in the earring of the BG.
    -a close-to-real red rose with smell (when Bond is wearing the white dinner jacket) containing dangerous acid

for instance.
    -a gun-umbrella ("gunbrella") to be used by 007 or one of the BG. Which protecting part becomes bullet-proof if required.
    -hard poison set in the earring of the BG.
    -a close-to-real red rose with smell (when Bond is wearing the white dinner jacket) containing dangerous acid

for instance.

I'd rather see this kind of gadget for the villain for some reason.