QoS - a question about Camille

edited November 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,314
Can someone explain the logic of Bond handing over an unconscious Camille after the boat sequence.

He's flown halfway round the world, killed slate, met the one contact who might give him a lead, saved her, seen that she knows Greene. Etc etc

Why doesn't he question her to find out more?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The script isn't the best. As we all know it was cobbled together due to the whole writer's strike but even then, Greene was still an unknown factor which is why he reported him to MI6 and it was only after M enquired with the CIA to see if he was worth going after. Turns out he was a person of extreme interest.
  • I took that moment simply to be him not wanting to be slowed down while he pursued Greene.
    Same here. He wanted to know where Greene was going, and to follow him wherever he went, in order to learn more about him and the people he would meet. At this point, to him, Camille was just unnecessary luggage.

It was only after getting information about her (probably thanks to Mathis and his contacts) that he realized that her past and training as an agent woud be helpful for his mission.
  • This is one of the things that bugged me most about QOS. The whole scene is truly just an excuse for a boat chase. That's it. Bond dosen't know who Medrano is, all he knows is that Camille is someone that some other dude payed to have killed off, he has no obligation to save her. However he decides to, provoking an unnecessary boat chase, in which the only thing he learns is the name of the villain, he then gives this tiny piece of info to M who provides the needed exposition to justify the chase sequence. QOS is guilty for action-for-the-sake of action on a number of occasions, the boat chase and the plane dog-fight being the biggest offenders.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    He knew the way to Greene so he dropped off Camille (it was more to save her life anyway) and he followed Greene to the plane where he got the landing location for the flight.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    She's just seasick.
    This is one of the things that bugged me most about QOS. The whole scene is truly just an excuse for a boat chase. That's it. Bond dosen't know who Medrano is, all he knows is that Camille is someone that some other dude payed to have killed off, he has no obligation to save her. However he decides to, provoking an unnecessary boat chase, in which the only thing he learns is the name of the villain, he then gives this tiny piece of info to M who provides the needed exposition to justify the chase sequence. QOS is guilty for action-for-the-sake of action on a number of occasions, the boat chase and the plane dog-fight being the biggest offenders.

I guess it was Forsters idea of incorperating the element water into the movie, and it is sad that they could not come up with a bettre idea, better execution and/or editing of the whole scene. It is one of several actionmoments that left me flabbergasted at its execution or need in the movie.

• SaintMark wrote:
    I guess it was Forsters idea of incorperating the element water into the movie, and it is sad that they could not come up with a bettre idea, better execution and/or editing of the whole scene. It is one of several action moments that left me flabbergasted at its execution or need in the movie.
    Gee, and to think I quite enjoyed it.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2012 Posts: 4,416
    The editing isn't good and David Arnold music.

I see it as typical thing by Pervis and Wade. Having a boat every (Bond) movie there wrote, also in the 2 uncredit movies The Italian job and Saraha.

Bond dosen't know who Medrano is til he talks about him with Camile, atleast that is from her view. What she said about her parents be true we discover later by Medrano him self, but we know it Bond don't. I expect in Bond 24 we get a better story around Bond and Camile.
    It would be a bit hard for Bond to interrogate her at their 1st meeting as she's unconscious, and for a guy as connected as Bond it wouldnt be too hard to get the info about her secret service background by other means...Google??
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Matt007 wrote:
    Can someone explain the logic of Bond handing over an unconscious Camille after the boat sequence.

He's flown halfway round the world, killed slate, met the one contact who might give him a lead, saved her, seen that she knows Greene. Etc etc

Why doesn't he question her to find out more?
    Ask Purvis, Wade and Haggis. It's a scene that doesn't make much sense. You're right; Bond has just risked his life during this boat chase and then simply drops off Camille without finding anything out apart from a name. Like some of you have mentioned, it just seemed like an excuse to have an action scene.

A similar character error occurs in QOS after the Tosca scene. After Bond loses a potential info source by "dropping him off a roof," he forgets about the poor chap he knocked out and locked into the bathroom earlier. Assuming Bond didn't murder this guy, a scene showing Bond at least checking if the Quantum member was still in the bathroom would have made sense. As it stands in the film however, they never go back to it and yet another potential lead is lost. Nice try writers, but I remembered.

Like I've said, QOS's script does its best to make James Bond look like an idiot.
    When M accuses Bond of shooting a member of special branch, is this a script change, as he didn't, he fell off a roof. In an earlier draft did he shoot him and theyiddle up Ms dialogue?
    How was M supposed to know Bond didn't shoot the Special Branch agent ? In fact, she acted on the information she was provided with.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    /\ and i don't understand why didn't Bond argued saying he didn't shoot him.
    As far as I remember, I don't think they ever got the cahnce to chat until they met in the hotel after Fields's death.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    But still, he was on the phone with M.
    It seemed to me like a blunder on the scriptwriters part. As if in an earlier draft Bond did shoot him, then they altered it, but forgot to alter Ms dialogue. How on earth would she have even suspected Bond of shooting him.
This discussion has been closed.