Mendes helping with plot?

2»

Comments

• doubleoego wrote:
    Menses will return, I just know (that never gets old) but seriously, from the moment they got Craig to sign on to do 2 more and locked in Logan for subsequent Bond movies which we were made aware of a considerable time prior to SF's release I knew Mendes would return. His stewardship over SF has been one of the best filming experiences for all involved and he gets and understands Bond with an infectious conviction. Also, he knows how to elevate the material and give it parallels and undertones that harken back to the classic ages if legend. (see the Arthurian thesis).
    I certainly hope you are correct. I very much enjoyed what he was able to accomplish with Skyfall.

• I'd imagine Mendes and Logan are tinkering with the story at the moment. We know they have a plot sorted, so I'd imagine at the moment the pair are just going over the story and seeing if it would work as a film. Mendes clearly hasn't committed, and he has been very coy in interviews when asked about returning. I'd imagine that this is becasue he dosen't want to say 'yes, I'm back', only later to relaise that he dosen't have a story to tell or another project takes his fancy. Also I get the impression that Mendes is a respectable guy and out of respect to the producers won't just say 'no' off the bat and insist he's done with the Bond world, it would be rather rude to just walk in and walk out and collect the cheque on the way. I truly believe that if they can crack the story and Mendes gets excited enough about the concept he'll come back. Is this likely? I'm not sure. I think everyone wants Sam Mendes to direct their film at the moment, not to mention the number of smaller passion projects he could now get off the ground. Why waste your time repeating yourself? (I really hope he dosen't see it that way though)
    Get Tahmahori back I say, I feel there are hidden layers still to be explored with the invisible car, perhaps even a knightrider style of car could be introduced with the voice of Judy Dench?
  • Get Tahmahori back I say, I feel there are hidden layers still to be explored with the invisible car, perhaps even a knightrider style of car could be introduced with the voice of Judy Dench?

Haha.....no.
    However, (asides Campbell obviously) from the Brosnan era, I'd love to see Michael Apted come back. TWINE is hugely underrated.

Also, I would advocate Marc Forster's return to the director's chair. I feel if he was able to really craft his script and not have months of inactivity, he would have created something more in line with SF.

But i'd take Sam any day over this pair.
  • This is going to be the ultimate test.

Wth P&W gone (who had their share of good ideas and contributions mind you), it will be really interesting to see how much of the Skyfall's praise really belongs to Mendes and Logan.

I think P&W had some nice ideas (PTS looks like their writing) and maybe a plot idea, but the overall tone and especially the strong Fleming-feeling of Skyfall comes down to Logan I think. I read somewhere he is a big Fleming fan and read all the novels prior to working on the script. Mendes obviously has done a good job as a director imo.
    The great thing is, they are both fans.

As for now, I am thrilled by the prospect of Logan and Mendes working on Bond 24 and I think they could very well produce another amazing Bond movie.
  • Get Tahmahori back I say, I feel there are hidden layers still to be explored with the invisible car, perhaps even a knightrider style of car could be introduced with the voice of Judy Dench?

As the DB5 went down well you may close to the truth
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    As someone who was disappointed by SF, I'm in no hurry to see Mendes return. I don't hold the SF plot in high regard and see it as a classic piece of P+W work. I'm hoping that given a free run at it, Logan comes up with a strong story arc for B24 and B25 and avoids the sloppy plot-holes and lazy cliches (like explaining away every plot twist through the magic of computer hacking) that we got in SF.
  • put the clash in the soundtrack

What was wrong with that?
    Crazy crazy thought right here and would probably not happen in a million years. But any thought of if Mendes doesn't return to direct that he may be a new producing partner for MGW and Babs? He has been a producer before. I know crazy thought but just thought I'd throw it out there
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    put the clash in the soundtrack
    What was wrong with that?
    Not a problem for me. IMO, the song would've only worked in that particular scene of that particular Bond film.
    Certainly suggest Mendes will do another one? Just depends on whether its Bond 24 or 25? or even both? :-?
    who knows i wouldn't mind Mendes back in just hopefully a bit more action and a bit more Bond this time around.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

No, the movie in question was TWINE, Dana Stevens, the wife of director Michael Apted , who changed a lot of the script. And in DAD Ithink, it was indeed Lee Tamahori who wanted the invisible car... At that point Babs and Mike should have sacked him immediately.

Thanks. Tamahori sounded like a bond villian in his own right. Maniac in charge. "get me madonna, make the car invisible, put the clash in the soundtrack"

Well, if brining in The Clash and London Calling had been the worst of Tamahori's demands and decisions, we would not have that much to complain about DAD. Well, apart from the North Korean baddy getting DNA-therapy to become an Englishman (who, if I am not mistaken, is even larger afterwards - I wonder who had this claptrap of an idea)...
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Get Tahmahori back I say, I feel there are hidden layers still to be explored with the invisible car, perhaps even a knightrider style of car could be introduced with the voice of Judy Dench?

Haha.....no.
    However, (asides Campbell obviously) from the Brosnan era, I'd love to see Michael Apted come back. TWINE is hugely underrated.

Also, I would advocate Marc Forster's return to the director's chair. I feel if he was able to really craft his script and not have months of inactivity, he would have created something more in line with SF.

But i'd take Sam any day over this pair.

Ah, somebody is having funny ideas....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wonder who had this claptrap of an idea)...
    Purvis and Wade after snorting Colombian Pure while watching The Lawnmower Man. =))