Age difference between M and Bond?

edited November 2012 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 584
With Fiennes coming in as the new M, I thought it was interesting that between him and Bond there's only a gap of about 5 years (Fiennes being 49 while Craig is 44). This is probably the shortest age difference we have seen between Bond and his superior, and probably the youngest M we have see in office.

This would definitely make a interesting potential plot point especially if Fiennes is going to be staying with the franchise long.

Comments

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited November 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Robert Brown and Roger Moore were separated by 7 years in OP & AVTAK.
  • SmithersSmithers Bandit Country
    Let us be honest, we have always until expected Q to be older. Nowadays people are employed for there skills and Mallory appears to play the strategy game well. Bond for instance wouldn't make a good M (or B). It should make for interesting interactions at this stage of the films history though.
  • I thought it was more interesting that Q is so young. This makes for a new kind of relationship between Q and Bond.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Smithers wrote:
    Let us be honest, we have always until expected Q to be older. Nowadays people are employed for there skills and Mallory appears to play the strategy game well. Bond for instance wouldn't make a good M (or B). It should make for interesting interactions at this stage of the films history though.

He wasn't that older than Bond in the novels, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Kerim wrote:
    Robert Brown and Roger Moore were separated by 7 years in OP & AVTAK.

Right, but Brown gave the impression of a older, more experienced officer while Moore still had the charm and younger looks. Between Fiennes and Craig there line is drawn a bit blurrier.

FFN_Skyfall_Premiere_FLYNETUK_102312_50924245.jpg

3482AVTAK.JPG
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Whoops, I thought it was about Q.

My mistake. [-(
  • I am really pleased with the new M, I think the age gap is fine. It will add to a new dynamic between Bond and M. I loved Dench's version as a mother figure to Craig's Bond but the new M is going to mix things up a bit.