At what age do you think Craig would be too old to play Bond

edited November 2012 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 122
I had this discussion with a friend last night an he said after the next Bond craig would be too old but i disagree i think if he still looks the part and is still up to the job he should continue if he feels fit after all roger moore played the part at 58 if craig did continue and made 8 films it would make him 54 if there was a film made every 2 years so i don't believe he would be too old to continue but after the age of 54 then maybe he would be too old

Comments

• Assuming he stays in good shape i think he could get away with it till his mid fiftys. Though would depend also on physical demands of the type of bond movie made at that point. Craig is quite rugged looking so he will get away with defying age for some time.
  • 49, the age Brosnan left.
  • IMO DC can do 2 maybe 3 more films before his body starts to let him down, so he will need to stay in shape for the next say 6/7 years making him 50/51 years old.
    What we don't want or need is another Roger Moore, DC likes to do a lot of his own stunt work which gives his Bond a certain credibility this I believe would be lost if he obviously could no longer do those stunts.
    He's signed for 2 more & I think that's when his tenure will end, because unlike Roger I believe he will leave while still at his peak.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Craig will leave when nature tells him to. He's not the type to overstay his welcome. Once his physical capabilities start to regress, he'll pursue other projects.
  • DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    Whatever happened to intellect and relying on you're wits? a bond movie doesn't need to rely on constant physicallity , big stunts or constant action.

I want a film with backbone and story. Not guys shooting guns running around blowing shi* up trying to get revenge on an old lady. hmm wonder what movie that is...

to answer the question he should quit no later than his early 50's . I wouldnt mind seeing a serious bond film having bond nearing old age contemplating his career while struggling in the ever changing world he no longer feels competent in.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tom cruise is 50 now. He's starting the jack reacher movies and he'll do another mission impossible.

Craig has always been fit and if he maintains the physical aspects for the role, he can do a total of 3 more which by that time will make him 50 if they stick to the 2 year cycle. Looks-wise, Craig getting older hasn't, isn't and won't be jarring as he pretty much looks the same. Also, I think in this day and age, it's beneficial for any Bond actor to do no more than 6 Bond movies. It gives the actor more than enough time to carve out a legacy, an era and to become entrenched and recognised in the role without overstaying his welcome and things becoming stale.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Whatever happened to intellect and relying on you're wits? a bond movie doesn't need to rely on constant physicallity , big stunts or constant action.

Agreed but Craig himself will not agree with you. He's not going to pull a Roger Moore AVTAK on us if he has something to say about it.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,745
    He's 44 now, I'll bet he leaves at 50.

I'm seeing his next two films taking 6 years to complete.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    50 would be the ideal cut off date.
  • Agreed- I could see him sticking around until 50.
  • I think 50 will be the end.

• danielcraigbonddanielcraigbond Suspended
    i know he has signed on for 2 more films but i really hope he does more , hes done 3 films and hes still younger than roger moor was before his first bond movie , maybe if he stays in shape he could do another 4 ?
  • 2 more films and we'll see if there is time for a third one. I however doubt that he will do more than 3.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    82 years old :-*
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
  • I think he's aged a fair bit between QOS and SF, but anyway I don't think any Bond actor should carry on past his early 50s at the latest.

I can't see him carrying on past 50. I think he'll do Bond 24 and 25, then that'll be it.
    2 more max - after that no money or convincing will keep him. Until then, he will try o enjoy the hell out of it.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    2 more max - after that no money or convincing will keep him. Until then, he will try o enjoy the hell out of it.

Great post
    I say he can go until he's 52 thats not that bad
  • I read a comment about how much Craig has aged since CR. It is called make-up. Look at the girl with the dragon tatoo Same actor same time frame. He is meant to look run down for SF. If things go well he could do a few more but I doubt it
  • I see Dan hanging up the Walther after Bond 25, can't see him staying around any longer ...
    WaltherPPK wrote:
    I see Dan hanging up the Walther after Bond 25, can't see him staying around any longer ...

The 25th movie would be a pretty big deal, too. (I'd imagine).

End on a high note. Highly respectable.
    fjdinardo wrote:
    I say he can go until he's 52 thats not that bad

Agreed but I doubt they'd expand his contract for just one more film.
    He will know when he is too old? Personally i have always suspected that 5 will be his total?
  • Hard telling anymore. I'm tempted to say 50, but with a good haircut, Dalton looks like he could still play the role today, so who knows?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I wouldn't go that far. 10 years ago yeah but as of now? I don't think so.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    I wouldn't go that far. 10 years ago yeah but as of now? I don't think so.

I'll bet he could -- shoot, Connery played Bond in Never Say Never Again, and Moore played him when he was older than that. I think Dalton could play the character again, if he really wanted to.
  • SmithersSmithers Bandit Country
    Late 40's - physically it would be too much the way he makes his films with such physicallity for him to do it for longer. He will get tired of it long before we do.
    I don't think age is that big a factor, as long as he remains enthusiastic for the role and puts in decent performances.
  • I
    I don't think age is that big a factor, as long as he remains enthusiastic for the role and puts in decent performances.
    That's true. It's like "It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage".