007's Dress Code - Appropriate or Not?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 401
    George-Lazenby-kilt-1.jpg

Craig needs to wear this. In every scene.
    I too was slightly apprehensive about Bond embracing the narrow lapels and slim fit trousers look - one gets the impression from the books that he doesn't follow fashion when choosing his suits (like most people who wear bespoke).

Having seen the film, my fears have partly been allayed. I do wonder though, how Bond's attire will stand the test of time - in 10/20 years time, when the 60s look has gone out of fashion again, will his tightly cut suit not look rather dated (a la Roger's safari suit?). The Connery suits look fresh at any time because it was subtle, Saville Row tailoring: in this respect I thought Mallory's suits looked more Bondian than Bond's did.
  • 9eor9e wrote:
    one gets the impression from the books that he doesn't follow fashion when choosing his suits (like most people who wear bespoke).

Having seen the film, my fears have partly been allayed. I do wonder though, how Bond's attire will stand the test of time - in 10/20 years time, when the 60s look has gone out of fashion again, will his tightly cut suit not look rather dated (a la Roger's safari suit?).

Never mind Roger's safari suit, he had flares in almost every one of his movies! :L He did look like a boss though, I wouldn't mind a suit like that.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 86
    I've Posted this on another thread but was closed so here goes again

As I've said originally I thought Daniel Craig looked rather good in the suits, but on second viewing of the film I've change my mind.

The jackets are too short for his body, it makes Daniel look short, which is just wrong for the character. Especially in the scene were M enters the holding cell of Silva, in this scene the suit looks like some badly fitting polyester effort you'd find in Top Man warn by either a sartorially challenged doorman or a teenager who's yet to discover what true style is!

I know the suits were on trend & fashionable looking, but Daniel Craig is 44 years old, not a 20 something going for an interview in a chain store special. My advice to the wardrobe staff would be, please in future look at a classic gentleman's style it's much more appropriate & flattering.

The true essence of tailoring in the context of Bond as created by Fleming is that of a true connoisseur. I believe Tom Ford knows about suits but he's a fashion house, he gave his name to the suit's but that's the end of it, the number that were created for the film was huge, some for close up hero shots, some for movement, but basically they were made to measure at best, however I suspect that the reality was large scale production like all so called designer names. They were made for this film to sell a brand name as with any other product placement, they were not bespoke, a true gentleman's suit should be a one off, personal, that flatters, flows & never ever looks tight. Maybe unrealistic with modern film making but I seem to remember that Sean Connery's suit's were all bespoke from Anthony Sinclair, Mayfair, London.... Times change, class doesn't

A bespoke suit takes a minimum 80 hours of work to complete & involves at least 2 fittings per suit, so in a film where they require at least 20 of each design. I guess it's unrealistic but I still believe Sean Connery looked better, maybe they were just better made in those days or had the time or man power. who knows?

For those who believe I don't know about suits, in the DC Bonds they have often used the term tailored which is a generic term banded around & often used to describe a more fitted off the peg style suit, made to measure on the other hand is when a series of pre-made try on best fit jackets & trousers are tried, then minor adjustments are faxed to a factory were the garments are adjusted accordingly . Finally there is the true bespoke suit which is made up from an individual pattern produced for the specific client from a series of measurements taken by the tailor, the cloth is then cut, sewn together for a 1st fitting, it is a basic garment which is fitted to the client, taken apart, adjusted, re-sewn for a final fitting, again adjusted before being sewn back together as a final suit, all the sewing is done by hand which is what takes the time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Daniel Craig's suits in SF were fine and looked great. Looked very classy but not stuffy and was complimented even more by having a sleek look to it.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 86
    I think that Craig's suit's will date badly, a bit like Moore's safari suits, I'm biased, I love the suit's worn by Connery, they are true british bespoke in a style that will never date because they are classic, remember form is temporary, class is permanent.

PS: Before I get slated this isn't an attack on DC it's just a comment on his suit.
    Agentprovo wrote:
    I think that Craig's suit's will date badly, a bit like Moore's safari suits, I'm biased, I love the suit's worn by Connery, they are true british bespoke in a style that will never date because they are classic, remember form is temporary, class is permanent.

PS: Before I get slated this isn't an attack on DC it's just a comment on his suit.

No, this was a great post above.

Great point here in particular:

"...a true gentleman's suit should be a one off, personal, that flatters, flows & never ever looks tight. Maybe unrealistic with modern film making but I seem to remember that Sean Connery's suit's were all bespoke from Anthony Sinclair, Mayfair, London.... Times change, class doesn't."

I personally like Craig's look in SF, but admittedly, the tight look seems a bit more Mod than the look Connery had, which in comparison had a more classic look to me.

• I don't know; he's wearing Tom Ford suits throughout the film; those are pretty classic, classy threads, I think. I imagine they will hold up well over the course of time.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Agentprovo wrote:

As I've said originally I thought Daniel Craig looked rather good in the suits, but on second viewing of the film I've change my mind.

The jackets are too short for his body, it makes Daniel look short, which is just wrong for the character. Especially in the scene were M enters the holding cell of Silva, in this scene the suit looks like some badly fitting polyester effort you'd find in Top Man warn by either a sartorially challenged doorman or a teenager who's yet to discover what true style is!

I know the suits were on trend & fashionable looking, but Daniel Craig is 44 years old, not a 20 something going for an interview in a chain store special. My advice to the wardrobe staff would be, please in future look at a classic gentleman's style it's much more appropriate & flattering.

The true essence of tailoring in the context of Bond as created by Fleming is that of a true connoisseur. I believe Tom Ford knows about suits but he's a fashion house, he gave his name to the suit's but that's the end of it, the number that were created for the film was huge, some for close up hero shots, some for movement, but basically they were made to measure at best, however I suspect that the reality was large scale production like all so called designer names. They were made for this film to sell a brand name as with any other product placement, they were not bespoke, a true gentleman's suit should be a one off, personal, that flatters, flows & never ever looks tight. Maybe unrealistic with modern film making but I seem to remember that Sean Connery's suit's were all bespoke from Anthony Sinclair, Mayfair, London.... Times change, class doesn't

A bespoke suit takes a minimum 80 hours of work to complete & involves at least 2 fittings per suit, so in a film where they require at least 20 of each design. I guess it's unrealistic but I still believe Sean Connery looked better, maybe they were just better made in those days or had the time or man power. who knows?

For those who believe I don't know about suits, in the DC Bonds they have often used the term tailored which is a generic term banded around & often used to describe a more fitted off the peg style suit, made to measure on the other hand is when a series of pre-made try on best fit jackets & trousers are tried, then minor adjustments are faxed to a factory were the garments are adjusted accordingly . Finally there is the true bespoke suit which is made up from an individual pattern produced for the specific client from a series of measurements taken by the tailor, the cloth is then cut, sewn together for a 1st fitting, it is a basic garment which is fitted to the client, taken apart, adjusted, re-sewn for a final fitting, again adjusted before being sewn back together as a final suit, all the sewing is done by hand which is what takes the time.

Very salient points. I do think that the Shanghai scenes apart Bond does have the appearance more of a bodyguard than a clubland gent in SF.
  • Agentprovo wrote:

Very salient points. I do think that the Shanghai scenes apart Bond does have the appearance more of a bodyguard than a clubland gent in SF.

I've just read this & agree, the suits with the exception of his Tuxedo, which with it's shawl collar is very nice, were too modern in their cut and not what a British business man abroad would wear which has always been Bonds image & cover.
    As much as I like the suits, I do have to wonder how he conceals his gun and radio beneath them with the tight tailoring.
  • Agentprovo wrote:

Personally, I think that the SF suits look fantastic (women I know agree, and I'm talking about 40-ish professional women, not girls who hang out at the H&M at the mall). I think that they do a good job of making Craig look less bulky; his CR suits looked a little boxy in the shoulders to me and a little bland.

Will his suits look dated in the future? Of course. ALL suits look dated at some point, no matter how much people will try to say otherwise. I'm old enough to remember that people used to make fun of how terrible Connery's clothes were and how they made him look like a "loser" because they were so "un-cool". Why, oh why, these people asked, couldn't he have dressed in better clothes like Roger Moore did. Of course, this was the late 70s/early 80s...and of course now people rave about how cool Connery's suits are.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,879
    Connery managed to pull off anything he wore (as Bond, at least ;) )- even pink shirts and ties. If I had to pick my least favourites, it would be Lazzer's frilly shirt, then Moore's safari suits and flairs. Having said that, they don't really bother me much.

I have no problems with Bond's dress code in SF. Maybe just have a bit more colour variety next time around- or a bit of white tux or Naval uniform- if the plot calls for it, of course. Both would look eye-wateringly sharp on Mr. Craig.
    His suits look much better fitted to his body more snugly than they did in Qos or CR with the wider shoulders and lapels.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Volante wrote:
    His suits look much better fitted to his body more snugly than they did in Qos or CR with the wider shoulders and lapels.

I thought His suits in QoS were fantastic. They were still slim fit and close to his body but SF's were even more snug and it works because he has a lean and toned body that accentuates the overall look. The only suit in CR that I cared for was his dinner suit but his suits that he wore on the train when we first meet vesper, the one he wears when he meets Mathis and the one at the end where he meets Mr. White were mediocre-looking on Craig as they could have fit better on him.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The suits from CR were not bad, I actually like the 3-piece one at the end, but they could fit better. It's a shame really because Brioni is usually rather good. However in QoS and especially SF the suits look amazing, they do a great job in making him look leaner and more contained.
    It is terribly difficult to make a suit that is tight but doesn't pull or stretch the fabric and doesn't look like the man who is wearing had to squeeze into it (or so I've been told). The tailors at Tom Ford managed to do it with Craig, no matter what he's doing, running, jumping, whatever, the fitting always looks impeccable. Of course there were various suits with slight differences to fit the different motions but none of them looked stretched. The dinner suit he wears in Macau is a tailoring work of art.
    Of course every suit looks dated one time or the other, especially when there are radical changes in fashion, but some cuts never go out of date for long and these look like they will ultimately stand the test of time.
    I would love to see Craig's Bond in his Naval uniform one day, I think it would look great on him.
    I cannot fault Craig's dress sense when swimming, bought a pair of the Olebar Brown trunks and they are perfect. Love them.