Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Each episode is 90 minutes long. Many UK series do three episodes per year. Sherlock does less because it conflicts with Doctor Who. Both are run by Steven Moffat.

With so little so often, it's a big event when Sherlock returns. Just how it should be.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I say puff off to Who, give Sherlock all the attention!
  • I haven't read the books but I like this and the films. Can't wait for the new series.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Each episode is 90 minutes long. Many UK series do three episodes per year. Sherlock does less because it conflicts with Doctor Who. Both are run by Steven Moffat.

With so little so often, it's a big event when Sherlock returns. Just how it should be.

Also because of the deep involvement of Freeman and Cumberbatch in The Hobbit, I think.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The Hobbit has been shot around Sherlock, it came first. May is when the final Hobbit film begins shooting.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The Hobbit has been shot around Sherlock, it came first. May is when the final Hobbit film begins shooting.

Yes, what I meant was that the cast is also busy with other things so they can't do many episodes per year.
    Indeed but then again, it takes a great deal of time to get the three scripts ready anyway, they'd never do more than three even if they could.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Is the second Hobbit already filmed? Was it back to back shooting?
    Yes. It was two films shot back to back between March 2011 and July 2012. Then a third was decided on, which will start filming in May 2013.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Wow, I had no idea how long this had been going on! Of course, I am not a fan, so maybe that is why. Hopefully the Sherlock shooting can fit in soon before next May. My eternal happiness depends upon it... :-SS
    Filming on Series three is from January to April. Freeman shot Series two in between breaks of the Hobbit filming, so both have been going a while. There's been a lot of back and fourth. Not to worry though, both he and Cumberbatch would like to do Sherlock until he's in his 50's. That's 15 years in total!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Filming on Series three is from January to April. Freeman shot Series two in between breaks of the Hobbit filming, so both have been going a while. There's been a lot of back and fourth. Not to worry though, both he and Cumberbatch would like to do Sherlock until he's in his 50's. That's 15 years in total!

Did they really say that? You don't know how seriously I take this. If I am being baited I am break down in tears! :)
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,767
    marymoss wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    August seems likely. We get 3 episodes every 18 months. That would mean a Series 4 would be January 2015 and the pattern continues.

Really? Why so little? Here in America, most cable shows have at least 12 episodes every year. Are these 3 hour long episodes, or 3 two hour long episodes? I"m thinking the later since that would make more sense.
    3 90min long episodes per season, and they´re cramped with details unlike any other show I´ve seen. So it´s not little ;-).
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Doublepost.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Did they really say that? You don't know how seriously I take this. If I am being baited I am break down in tears! :)

It's the truth. Both have said no matter how big or how many films they'll do, they will always make Sherlock.

"I'll always do 'Sherlock,' said Cumberbatch. "It’s something I’m not going to give up on. I love it too much. It’s hard work, but it’s so rewarding and such a lovely bunch of people who do it. We love our fans and we love what it’s created. It’s an incredible thing to be part of; it doesn’t happen that often. Don’t worry; it’s not going to disappear."

"There’s no reason for us to stop if it’s still being adored and we still enjoy doing it," continued Cumberbatch. "We only do three [episodes] at a time, so I think the normal fear of over-stretching the mark and just doing too many [doesn’t apply]. It’s good to leave people wanting more. I’d like to see [Sherlock] getting older. We’re starting quite young. It’s rare to see Holmes and Watson at the beginning of their relationship; we usually join them in their mid-to-late 40s or 50s. I’ve got a way to go. I mean, I’m only 35."
    COLOR ME ECSTATIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <:-P \m/ >:D< =D> *-:) :-bd 8-> :)>-
    Borrowing from Casablanca: We'll always have Sherlock!
    Sandy wrote:
    Borrowing from Casablanca: We'll always have Sherlock!

Great film choice! :) And so true, no matter how much the rotten CBS wants to take it away!
  • oo7oo7
    Expecting the return of Sherlock next summer?
    Try late 2013. Perhaps even 2014, depending where you live.
    Start of production on the third cycle of the fan-adored detective drama has been moved from January to March. Sources say the shift was necessary to accommodate the busy schedules of the show’s breakout stars, Benedict Cumberbatch (who’s in Star Trek 2) and Martin Freeman (starring in The Hobbit).
    The BBC has not announced a premiere date for season three, but given that January was previously announced as the start of production, fans hoped to see Holmes and Watson return in the summer. Sources say the BBC will air Sherlock series three in late 2013. PBS has to wait until after the BBC’s window. A PBS spokesperson says Sherlock will air either late 2013 — or early 2014.
    source
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/26/sherlock-season-3-date/

dont really think there is too much of a shock there, anyone watching the US series?
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Drat. We'll it's only two months, so August turning into October should be OK. March - June filming then.

God knows how the 50th anniversary episodes of Doctor Who will fit in. Maybe we will only get the three.

Plus, how do they fit the third Hobbit film in now?...
    I've rewatched the episodes on DVD. Two things:

How on Earth are they going to resolve that cliffhanger ? (something tells me that Molly has a hand in it)

And will Lara Pulver come back as Irene Adler ? She just shone in that episode, and it was with her clothes on (although I didn't complain when she got them off. Yes, I know, me and 90 % of the male population and 10 % of the female population).

Anyway, I love that show, and can't wait to see the next season.
    Gerard wrote:

How on Earth are they going to resolve that cliffhanger ? (something tells me that Molly has a hand in it)

And will Lara Pulver come back as Irene Adler ? She just shone in that episode, and it was with her clothes on (although I didn't complain when she got them off. Yes, I know, me and 90 % of the male population and 10 % of the female population).

I think somewhere earlier in this thread there are quotes from the writers where they claim to have thought it all through and have a perfectly logic solution :-) .
    Anyway, it´s more than obvious that Molly has a hand in it ;-) .

Not sure if Irene should be back. If I´m not mistaken, she had only one appearance in the books, and it should stay that way.

• When i started watching this series i was hoping for them to transform Moriarty into an impulsive, psychotic agent of chaos, like The Joker. What was really brilliant was that they not only did that, but managed to keep him a cold, calculating, suave criminal mastermind at the same time. He is constantly jumping between the two personas, and i think this is a brilliant interpretation of the character.
  • BenBen
    Gerard wrote:

These are just speculation but I thought they were quite good.

edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Gerard wrote:

Molly is quite certainly involved. I also have a theory as to how he faked his death partly involving the bouncing ball he has in the lab when he waits to speak with her. If you put a ball underneath your armpit and apply pressure, it will appear as if your pulse has stopped. I still rewind like crazy and try to figure out what happened. I will re-watch them all very soon with fresher eyes once again.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2012 Posts: 12,459
    OK, I love Holmes and I do love this series. I just came across a book (sealed in plastic so I couldn't peruse it) here in Japan that says "Sherlock Holme's Casebook" or the Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (can't remember exactly) and it is from this series, photo of Cumberbatch on the cover. Does anyone have it or know what is in it? Photos? Just script? I am debating buying it. I'd appreciate any info on this book, please and thanks!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,767
    OK, I love Holmes and I do love this series. I just came across a book (sealed in plastic so I couldn't peruse it) here in Japan that says "Sherlock Holme's Casebook" or the Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (can't remember exactly) and it is from this series, photo of Cumberbatch on the cover. Does anyone have it or know what is in it? Photos? Just script? I am debating buying it. I'd appreciate any info on this book, please and thanks!

A foto of Cumberbatch on the cover could very well mean original Doyle book with tv-series tie-in design.

No it isn't in fact. You'll find a detailed description of the contents on amazon;).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ah, but it did have the episodes listed, too, on the cover - sorry I forgot that. It says them, now I cannot remember them correctly except maybe "Scandal in Belgravia" and "Reichenbach Fall" so it is about this series. Heck, if i can't get info I'll just buy it. But it is a tad expensive, so I will wait a few days in case anyone knows of it.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 546
    Besides The Hour, Doctor Who & Top Gear. Sherlock is one of the best TV series on the BBC network. Great stoylines.