Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I say no Bond game ruined by Activision is better than actually having one.
  • bond_azoozbondbond_azoozbond Portland,OR
    Another 3rd person shooter would be great imo

Too bad Bizarre went out of business. Blood Stone (where do people keep getting this "Bloodstone" thing where it's all one word, anyway?) was the best Activision Bond game, and my personal favorite of all Bond games.

Bloodstone was such a great game .. I love this game a lot .. I consider it the only Activision bond game actually .. but the marketing was really bad .. The marketing for this game was if they didn't want it to sale good .. I don't know why ?? I remember going to gamestop the same day of release and I thought I'm I right its bloodstone release day !!
  • oo7oo7
    yar too bad all the bloodstone crew flipped to ubisoft and ended up working on watch dogs. that could have been the look of the follow up bond game but activision went with the nightfire developer
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    but the marketing was really bad .. The marketing for this game was if they didn't want it to sale good .. I don't know why ??

Well, Activision was actually pretty smart with the marketing, it was the release schedule they did wrong. When 2 Bond games come out at the same time, and one of them carries the GoldenEye name, obviously the other one will be pushed to the wind, so they marketed the one that was clearly going to sell well. If they'd pushed either release back a bit (one November 2010, the other March or April 2011), then both games would have sold equally as well, and neither would have suffered from a marketing standpoint. From Activision's standpoint, they probably thought, "Hey, they're going to the store to pick up GoldenEye, maybe they'll see Blood Stone beside it and pick that up, too." Though, honestly, with GoldenEye (at the time) being only on the Wii and Blood Stone being on the other systems, they probably thought there'd be no competition between the two games.
  • oo7oo7
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,068
    1493940-screen_shot_2010_09_01_at_10.39.50_am.jpg

activisions plan of attack for the fans of bond. I fear now unless we see some dlc for legends this is going to be silent until July at the least.
  • I hate Activision so much. COD has a fun campaign and Bloodstone was fun but other than that I don't think they've made anything good.
    A third person bond game with new story would be very good for 2013 .. But then activision
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I say no Bond game ruined by Activision is better than actually having one.

Too true. I'd like to see a Bond game that is a cross between Syphon Filter: Omega Strain (a player created protagonist and lots of weapons to chose for any misson) and Far Cry (a large map but split up into 'zones').
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Syphon Filter: Omega Strain (a player created protagonist and lots of weapons to chose for any misson)

But, if it had a player created protagonist, it wouldn't be a Bond game. I do want the sh*tloads of weapons, though. Omega Strain had damn near a thousand.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I hope they don't come with another game next year. I expect them to end up the license and return it to EA.

I'm so excited to see a game from them again.
    I doubt EA will get the license back. I'm sure it'll go to either Ubisoft or maybe Rocksteady after Activision loses it.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I doubt EA will get the license back. I'm sure it'll go to either Ubisoft or maybe Rocksteady after Activision loses it.

If either one, i'd choose Ubisoft. She made a GREAT job in Driver: San Francisco (Literally, my favourite driving game) and, i didn't play it, but i know that, on Assassin's Creed, she makes a great job also.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    But, if it had a player created protagonist, it wouldn't be a Bond game.

I like the idea of a create a Bond game, you can create Bond (but not name him obviously) then choose from a selection of voices.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,882
    Syphon Filter: Omega Strain (a player created protagonist and lots of weapons to chose for any misson)

I think it could still work. Much like the ranks/perks of Omega Strain, you start of as a rookie and work towards being an experienced agent; improving on stealth/use of firearms/ ability to use different vehicles etc. Bond could pop up throughtout the game and help lead an attack on the villains hideout.

I think it could still work. Much like the ranks/perks of Omega Strain, you start of as a rookie and work towards being an experienced agent; improving on stealth/use of firearms/ ability to use different vehicles etc. Bond could pop up throughtout the game and help lead an attack on the villains hideout.

Maybe, but that would make him far too much like Gabe Logan. However, I would like it if, maybe, they adopted the PS2 control style of Dark Mirror/Logan's Shadow.

There's no way EON will let Activision keep it, and there's no way Activision wants it. EA is out of the question, too.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    How about no more Bond games for the foreseeable future? That's always an option.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    How about no more Bond games for the foreseeable future? That's always an option.

How dare you, sir?! These are what I use to pass the time between the films!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It may be the only choice left to make everyone happy. One more in 2014, if that, and that's your lot.
    cant wait for a new bond game preferably a third person shooter.
    Samuel001 wrote:

How dare you, sir?! These are what I use to pass the time between the films!

Yup I agree .. Well its so stupid to think this way .. So if someone is failing in classes this doesn't mean he have to quiet studying .. but he have to study hard again .. this is the situation with bond games !!
  • oo7oo7
    It occurs to me that now craig has renegotiated the contract for the next two bonds he may no longer be held to voice the video games as he originally stated hence 007 legends not getting him.
  • If Craig isn't going to voice it then they shouldn't use his likeness either.

Somebody had the idea of setting the games apart from the films by giving them their own Bond, M, Q, etc. I think that's a good idea.

I also think a create a Bond game could be cool, where you design how Bond looks and choose from different voices.
    Somebody had the idea of setting the games apart from the films by giving them their own Bond, M, Q, etc. I think that's a good idea.

The problem being that the video game Bond, M, Q and everybody else will still, in some way, be determined by the current film Bond, M, Q and everybody else. As long as Craig is still the film Bond, we'll keep getting game Bonds that are similar in personality and looks to the Craig Bond. Same with the other characters.
    I also think a create a Bond game could be cool, where you design how Bond looks and choose from different voices.

It would be cool, but we'll never have it.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 612

The problem being that the video game Bond, M, Q and everybody else will still, in some way, be determined by the current film Bond, M, Q and everybody else. As long as Craig is still the film Bond, we'll keep getting game Bonds that are similar in personality and looks to the Craig Bond. Same with the other characters.

It would be cool, but we'll never have it.

I don't mind seeing Craig's face on the in-game Bond, but they need his voice. Only if they used LA Noire technology, that'd be great.

But for me, Bond has to be a 3rd person adventure, a la Uncharted.
    Bond has to be a 3rd person adventure

Y'know, let's take a look at the two different perspectives of Bond.

1st Person Shooter:

We've had 9 of these, so far.

GoldenEye 007
    The World is Not Enough
    Agent Under Fire
    NightFire
    GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
    Quantum of Solace (PS3/360/PC)
    GoldenEye 007 (2010)
    GoldenEye 007 Reloaded
    007 Legends

The first one, GoldenEye 007 was undeniably unique. Almost every weapon could be dual-wielded, objectives were very different on different difficulties, the enemy AI actually changed between difficulties, and the game was overall just fun.

Next came The World is Not Enough, which was good on the N64 but not the PS1 (past the first two missions, at least). It was more or less a copy of GoldenEye, but with voice acting and less missions. It wasn't bad per se, but it wasn't all that good, either.

The next two were very much the same. Agent Under Fire and NightFire both played the same, had similar looking environments (though NightFire had less utilitarian looking ones) and both had a reliance on gadgets (lasers to cut wires, a grapple, a door-opener). Neither one had particularly good stories (clones and a Moonraker ripoff), but both had fun gameplay.

Rogue Agent is the bastard child of the Bond franchise. Using a story that was too crappy even to be fanfiction in order to get classic Bond villains into a story, it was saved only by its gameplay, which got boring very quick. It brought back dual-wielding, but thanks to "realism" (you get regenerating health and a damn eyeball that can do everything), you can only carry those two weapons that you're dual-wielding.

The next four are pretty basic COD clones with Bond skins. GoldenEye 007/Reloaded is the best of them, but that doesn't save it from its fate of generic-ness. They're all fun (I still have yet to play 007 Legends, but considering the gameplay is more-or-less the same as GoldenEye 007/Reloaded, I think I can still make this judgement), but their reliance on the COD formula doesn't set them apart from anything else.

This concludes Part 1 of my thesis. Part 2 comes after I watch The Walking Dead.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There's no reason to stop making Bond games. We just have to get a good developer again. I have heard Ubisoft getting tossed around, and think they would be a good choice.
    I think that the market is over-saturated with FPS's, and every new 3rd person adventure title seems to be getting a lot of buzz. I direct you to the Uncharted series, Tomb Raider, Hitman, GTA 5.

Bond games need to stop looking at their past. GoldenEye N64 has come and gone, it's time to move on. Try something new.
    Okay, now onto 3rd person Bond games.

There have been 5 so far.

Tomorrow Never Dies
    Everything or Nothing
    From Russia With Love
    Quantum of Solace (PS2)
    Blood Stone

Each one plays differently from the previous one, unlike their 1st Person cousins. Now let's take a look at each of them and take in their strengths and weaknesses.

Tomorrow Never Dies is first, and it sucked. Buggy gameplay, lackluster controls and poor voice acting (although the Brosnan impersonator wasn't half bad) are the three main components to this game's failure in life. The fact that it followed very little of the story didn't help it (in no way did the streets of Saigon have mounted guns lining them, and I don't think they ever will). It wasn't a particularly long game, making Activision's 5-hour efforts today seem like an RPG in comparison.

Everything or Nothing is considered by many (except me) to be the best Bond game since GoldenEye on the 64, what with Hollywood-esque production values, the primary cast of the current Bond films (Brosnan, Dench, Cleese) plus a group of elites joining in (Dafoe, Klum, Elizabeth, Mya, Ito) and our beloved Jaws (Kiel), this was the first real Bond film to be a video game (the fact that we got no film in 2004 helped this). I still don't get why MI6's Scotland section was their headquarters in the game, nor do I know why Jaws returned to a life of henchmanship after Moonraker, but the game had everything it needed at the time.

From Russia With Love got special recognition for bringing Sean Connery back to the role of Bond after over 20 years. Sure, he sounded old, but just having the man in playable form excited me. Bond was slightly customizable (costumes could be changed at will) and the game had a decent amount of gadgets and weaponry. The main flaw here was the execution of the story. Taking the beloved 1963 film and adding needless action scenes such as the opening and especially the ending, the game ended up absolutely nothing like the film, except in the throughline of the plot.

Quantum of Solace on the PS2 was quite different from the PS3/360 version, and for some reason it did better in the eyes of the critics (how the hell did that happen?). In it, we played as Bond RE4-style, and more of the game was stealth based (unlike the PS3/360 version, it was an outright game over to fail stealth), and it gave us the Haitian docks, which has become one of my favorite GE007/Reloaded multiplayer maps. Sometimes the controls are a bit unresponsive, and sometimes the stealth is downright difficult (still not that difficult, though), but overall the game ain't bad.

Our final 3rd person outing today is Blood Stone, my favorite Bond game. Good controls, awesome melee attacks (my melee-to-gun ratio is very high) and a great Craig-era story, Blood Stone seems like it has it all. Well, it almost does. The only real problems here lie in the story itself. The PTS is a great little self-contained yarn, then we get into the real story and, even now, that's no problem. The problem comes halfway through the game, after Bond has stopped Pomerov's plane. Here the game seems to be over, Bond's finished off the bad guy and the world has been saved from a chemical weapons attack. After this, M tells Bond to come home, but he remembers that one loose plot thread that we all forgot about: an anonymous payphone call that started it all in the first place. This sends him to Asia, Bangkok and then Burma. There, he takes on Rak and his group of terrorists who somehow have access to military weaponry (does anyone in all the world's military check where their surplus has gone?). There, Rak tells Bond that even he wasn't behind everything, and yet another, shorter plot is begun, taking Bond back to Monaco, where he confronts Bond Girl Nicole Hunter, who is revealed to be the mastermind behind everything Bond's been up against - or is she? Because once her car is stopped and she's held at gunpoint, she admits that she's not even the one behind this, and we're left with a cliffhanger that will probably never be resolved because Blood Stone's developers have been put out of business, and I bet that Raven game won't ever see the light of day.

So, the point of all this was: we need more 3rd person games. Not because there are more 1st person ones, but because the 3rd person games are better. They put us in the role of Bond more because, unlike the 1st person games, they're not just running around the map shooting people. There's more story to them, and more Bond-ness to them.
  • oo7oo7
    I really hope 007 legends was a gap filler to allow someone else to develop a standalone game in the series. I want to unravel a new mystery. it was great snooping around offices but the problem was I already know the plans and outcomes of these stories.
    I suspected activsion would be unable to match either payne or hitman this year in there output.