Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

I love this series, and I want MORE!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    boldfinger wrote:
    I´m so happy to hear news on the 3rd series. Any info when it´s gonna come out?

August seems likely. We get 3 episodes every 18 months. That would mean a Series 4 would be January 2015 and the pattern continues.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

August seems likely. We get 3 episodes every 18 months. That would mean a Series 4 would be January 2015 and the pattern continues.

It might be even later if Moffat is working on the 50th for Doctor Who at the same time.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Maybe the "Bow" refers to the violin? The "Wedding" could be John moving on past Sherlock's death and marrying Mary Morstan. Just spitballing here.
    What a brilliant series. And here's the thing I like best, it can exist quite nicely along side the classical interpretations of Holmes. Always been a big fan of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, but also like Robert Downey Jr. I know Sherlock won't go on much longer, but this is one hugely entertaining series. Hopefully we get at least a season three and four.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I LOVE this series! Just got the first seaon available to rent here in Japan and I thoroughly enjoyed all 3. I will write ore later - I just want to tell everyone on this thread I APPRECIATE the spoiler tags! I really do. I want to be able to enjoy this thread but don't give away endings or other fun surprise stuff publicly, please.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

It might be even later if Moffat is working on the 50th for Doctor Who at the same time.

The 50th anniversary will be out of the way by then. It could interfere with Series 8 though, so Sherlock may be later. Why did Moffat have to do two big series? Why?! ;)
    Maybe the "Bow" refers to the violin? The "Wedding" could be John moving on past Sherlock's death and marrying Mary Morstan. Just spitballing here.

Each word refers to a story in some way. The words for Series 2 were Woman, Hound, Fall. They were easy to work out. This years are a bit more tricky.

On the subject Moffat has said they "may be misleading, are not titles, are only teases or possibly clues, but might be deliberately designed to get you into a lather."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    For those who have Netflix and haven't seen the series (or just the second season, like me), they have recently added all three episodes of the second series of 'Sherlock' on Netflix Play Now. I can't wait to get into them.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    For those who have Netflix and haven't seen the series (or just the second season, like me), they have recently added all three episodes of the second series of 'Sherlock' on Netflix Play Now. I can't wait to get into them.
    I am rewatching them at this time too! I am going on to The Blind Banker, and can't wait to get back into series 2 for Irene! Again, WE MUST TALK!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I am rewatching them at this time too! I am going on to The Blind Banker, and can't wait to get back into series 2 for Irene! Again, WE MUST TALK!

Absolutely! I think I'm going to savor them after work this upcoming Saturday: get back to my room, shower, sit back, and spend the evening watching them. I'm sure the girlfriend will be upset, so...I hope she has something else to do. Heyohhhh!

Seriously, though, I need to see season two ASAP. I think I may just rewatch the first season and dive right into the second this weekend. The thought of that gets me pumped.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Okay, I just finished watching season 2 and I LOVED it - even more than the first season. This series is so excellent, refreshing, fun, and Holmesian with a twist. I was surprised my video rental store here in Japan had the second season so quickly (unusual). Very happy Holmes fan here and I am so looking forward to the new season whenever I can get it. All of you in the UK are lucky to be able to see them as they premiere. Actually, when does your season 3 start? I am curious. Reading the above discussion, it seems like it may have started this past August - is that right?

All the actors are excellent, the characters' personalities are really becoming more and more well rounded, and honestly Cumberbatch is amazing. You just know he must have had major qualms stepping into this iconic role, but he is doing a very fine job indeed.
    August 2013. We've got a while to wait yet.
    Can you get the two series on Blu-ray in the US yet? I have run into DVD copies of both series, but no Blu-ray editions of them as of yet.
    Can you get the two series on Blu-ray in the US yet? I have run into DVD copies of both series, but no Blu-ray editions of them as of yet.
    Does this help? http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Season-Blu-ray-Benedict-Cumberbatch/dp/B004QOB8SY/ref=sr_1_10?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1350198171&sr=1-10&keywords=sherlock
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Unfortunately missed out the first series, because German TV put that on late Sunday evening, have to get these serie and watch it. But loved the second series. Cumberbatch and Freeman are superb, and the great thing is, they manage to combine the Victorian feeling with 21st century London/England. I also like David Arnold's and Michael Price's score. Brilliant stuff, bring on series 3 and 4!!! =D>
    Unfortunately missed out the first series, because German TV put that on late Sunday evening, have to get these serie and watch it. But loved the second series. Cumberbatch and Freeman are superb, and the great thing is, they manage to combine the Victorian feeling with 21st century London/England. I also like David Arnold's and Michael Price's score. Brilliant stuff, bring on series 3 and 4!!! =D>
    Hell yes! When I first heard of this series, I was confused on how they could make it work at all. But once again BBC had proved me wrong with this phenomenal run. Series 1 was spectacular, and series 2 knocked that one out of the park, so you can imagine how I feel about it. A Scandal in Belgravia is the best yet for me.
    Unfortunately missed out the first series, because German TV put that on late Sunday evening, have to get these serie and watch it.
    Yes, you have to get it, because it´s even more fun in English ;-)!

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Unfortunately missed out the first series, because German TV put that on late Sunday evening, have to get these serie and watch it.
    Yes, you have to get it, because it´s even more fun in English ;-)!

I could have guessed.
    ;) :-h
    Could someone please explain to me why I haven't gotten around to re-watching the first season and continued straight on through the second? I'm confusing myself; it sounds like such an excellent idea, but I have yet to do it.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Could someone please explain to me why I haven't gotten around to re-watching the first season and continued straight on through the second? I'm confusing myself; it sounds like such an excellent idea, but I have yet to do it.

:)) you have to watch the first series, honestly!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Get your deerstalker on straight man! You can't just go into series 2 (BUT IT IS FLIPPING FANTASTIC) without having the background on Holmes and Watson first, considering that series 1 ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger! I thought you watched all of the first series and were waiting to watch two? You must watch them now!!! ;)
  • Brilliant show. I now have a huge mancrush on BC. Can't say I was as enamored with the second series as I was with the first. Nonetheless I'm looking forward to the next series. At this rate (due to the main cast members other commitments) it probably won't be out for another year or two. Bah...
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Get your deerstalker on straight man! You can't just go into series 2 (BUT IT IS FLIPPING FANTASTIC) without having the background on Holmes and Watson first, considering that series 1 ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger! I thought you watched all of the first series and were waiting to watch two? You must watch them now!!! ;)

I definitely watched the first series, but this was a while back when we spoke of it, so I would be lying if I said I remembered everything about it. I really want to restart the first series and continue straight into the second, but I have such a massive backlog of films that are keeping my attention. I'm torn.
  • tqbtqb
    When is the 3rd season debuting?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I definitely watched the first series, but this was a while back when we spoke of it, so I would be lying if I said I remembered everything about it. I really want to restart the first series and continue straight into the second, but I have such a massive backlog of films that are keeping my attention. I'm torn.
    I think there are so many interesting details in each film that it absolutely pays to delve deeply into each one on its own. And then when you have a week off, you just put them in and don´t stop until the (not quite) end ;-).

@boldfinger, I'm thinking that's the best idea for this Thanksgiving Break starting tomorrow. Good idea ;)
    tqb wrote:

I posted this earlier but August seems about right. Filming takes place from January - April.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    tqb wrote:

I posted this earlier but August seems about right. Filming takes place from January - April.
    THIS coming August? Surely not. Too good to be true.

Yes, August 2013. One series every 18 months as per usual. Nothing's changed.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

Really? Why so little? Here in America, most cable shows have at least 12 episodes every year. Are these 3 hour long episodes, or 3 two hour long episodes? I"m thinking the later since that would make more sense.