Recasting Mr White?

edited November 2012 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 188
Just saw this MI6 article when scanning the interwebs for Mr White concerning Bond 24.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=8330

If they were to pick up the Quantum story thread/arc for further films - would they cast Mr White? As I feel the character was a decent character and quite enigmatic in his presence in CR and QOS. Or would they recast him???

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, if they have to recast Mr. White, I want Anthony Hopkins.
    Jesper Christensen was misquoted.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    For the love of God:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=8336&t=mi6

That must be at least the 20th time I posted that article.

Also, this was regarding Bond 23 aka Skyfall, not Bond 24.
  • he must have been grossly misquoted lol if theres no smoke without fire he may have accidently fired off a flaregun lol - so was this sarcasm misquoted? or did he say it and then realise the error of his ways? either way - if there is some ambiguity about his opinions of the Bond franchise - i.e. the films he was in - sensed by the EON team, they may decide to recast him anyway.
    Should he return which i hope he does as well as Quantum! I want Jesper back in the role without question!
  • I want Jesper too! :)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Why is he so important?

JamesCraig wrote:
    Why is he so important?

Because he made an impact! If Leiter was to return? I want Jeffrey Wright back in the role too!
  • For the integrity of the Bond franchise - they cannot leave Mr White as an enigmatic villain who evaded Bond through 2 films consecutively, they have to pick him up again - as they will also pick up the Quantum arc again for a future film. Just as Leiter is extremely important to franchise as well obviously. I loved both Jasper Christensen's portrayal of Mr White - as well as Jeffery Wright's portrayal of Felix Leiter - but I could see how they could be recast e.g. if the roles changed and demanded something else i.e. more action etc

If recasting I would recast Idris Elba as Leiter who would be more of a field op, and I would cast Bryan Cranston as a white haired Mr White.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Why is he so important?

Because he made an impact! If Leiter was to return? I want Jeffrey Wright back in the role too!

He's not even the mastermind of Quantum. I hope they show him dead or that there will be a line of dialouge of that kind in Bond 24.

Because if he isn't mentioned at all, I can already hear the tremendous outcry.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Why is he so important?

He's not even the mastermind of Quantum. I hope they show him dead or that there will be a line of dialouge of that kind in Bond 24.

Because if he isn't mentioned at all, I can already hear the tremendous outcry.

I want to see Bond finally take him out! It's long over due and i wanna see something special for Mr White?
  • how about this; Bond 24 starts -
    1. Daniel Craig Gunbarrel sequence (same as Skyfall)
    2. Craig in a Bentley pursuing terrorists who are in a convoy fleeing after Bond and fellow double-O agents foil their terrorist attempt.
    3. Bond - in contact with Q and co - reports that one of the men he has killed appears to be Quantum.
    4. Bond catches up with the lead vehicle containing Mr White.
    5. Bond forces Mr White off the road shunting White's large vehicle (thus wrecking his Bentley in the process) - Mr White escapes the car wreck and runs away into a crowded scene - Bond pursues on foot.
    6. Bond pursues White to the top of a building/structure.
    7. Bond confronts White on a rooftop (or somekind of high platform overlooking the London Skyline). They fight.
    8. White inevitably loses the fight with Bond - but pulls out a bomb trigger/dead man's switch.
    9. White warns Bond of the threat of Quantum and reminisces about when he led the organization. White warns Bond that if he or any agents attempt to stop him from escaping he will detonate a bomb placed somewhere in London (dead or alive).
    10. Bond severs Whites hand holding the trigger as White falls off the rooftop but dangles somehow from a wire/cable that he manages to grab onto.
    11. Bond unfurls the severed hand and fingers from the dead man's trigger switch and disables the trigger device with the help of Q.
    12. Bond and co breathe a sigh of relief as M tells Bond via his earpiece that the Quantum terrorists have been rounded up and that a bomb in westminster has been found and defused. White who remains dangling on the side of the building shouts up to Bond.
    13. Bond goes to see White who dangles at the side of the building.
    14. White again shows no remorse, and boasts the power of Quantum. White taunts Bond over Vesper's death. Bond cuts the chord White dangles by and White falls to his death.
    15. Bond recoils from the edge of the roof having seen his adversary/nemesis fall to his death. But suddenly the London skyline in the distance comes a light as several bomb explosions erupt along the London Skyline. (i.e. bombs were rigged to go off anyway and not connected to the 'dead mans switch' at all - White was a sacrificial deterrent)

16. Cue Bond theme and title sequence.
    Bond theme sung by; A) Jessie Ware?/B) Florence Welch?

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    If Quantum were to return in a future Bond film, then it should surely do so in a future Craig one - waiting until after he's gone would surely ensure it loses its impact given how strongly it featured in his first two flicks; it's pretty much the criminal organisation for 'his Bond' .

Plus, if Mr White were to return then he should surely be played by Jesper Christensen. It's true that continuity has never really been important in the Bond films, but CR/ QOS set a precedent for it mostly being so (especially in these days of continuity-obsessed movie franchises), so a future featuring of Quantum should honour that, methinks.

@lewisblake, not bad, but for me another location in peril to London would be preferable (as I'm sure it would be for Eon) following its heavy role in SF. You've got to mix it up a bit. Oh, and Mr White was never Quantum's chief... ;)
  • St_George wrote:
    If Quantum were to return in a future Bond film, then it should surely do so in a future Craig one - waiting until after he's gone would surely ensure it loses its impact given how strongly it featured in his first two flicks; it's pretty much the criminal organisation for 'his Bond' .

Plus, if Mr White were to return then he should surely be played by Jesper Christensen. It's true that continuity has never really been important in the Bond films, but CR/ QOS set a precedent for it mostly being so (especially in these days of continuity-obsessed movie franchises), so a future featuring of Quantum should honour that, methinks.

@lewisblake, not bad, but for me another location in peril to London would be preferable (as I'm sure it would be for Eon) following its heavy role in SF. You've got to mix it up a bit. Oh, and Mr White was never Quantum's chief... ;)

http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._White

so is white one of many leaders under one head honcho villainous chief?

does Quantum have many leaders?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    lewisblake wrote:
    St_George wrote:
    Oh, and Mr White was never Quantum's chief... ;)

http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._White

so is white one of many leaders under one head honcho villainous chief?

does Quantum have many leaders?

White clearly ranks fairly high up in Quantum, but exactly where he fits in was never revealed. Neither was it revealed how the organisation's run or who does so.

To be fair, though, all of that's pretty clear from watching CR and QOS... ;)
  • here's a thought - should mr White become the MAIN villain in a subsequent Bond film?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    How about the next three films. All played by different actors of course.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    Kerim wrote:
    How about the next three films. All played by different actors of course.

Mr White is a man of many disguises, and he turns out to be a hologram projected by Dominic Greene, who's now in a wheelchair!

With that cliffhanger, Bond 25 ends!

:-w
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Not that bothered about White. Wouldn't mind him returning but I won't be upset if he doesn't.
    lewisblake wrote:
    1. Daniel Craig Gunbarrel sequence (same as Skyfall)

Please no. They need to redesign the gunbarrel, or just bring back the old design or the Brosnan one. But I really don't want anything like the QOS/SF one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, I didn't care for that gunbarrel in the slightest, either.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    St_George wrote:
    I

I think it's highly unlikely that, if Mr White returns, he will be played by Jesper Christensen after his statements about the two Bond movies he was in. Plus, in the missing minute at the End of QOS, Bond apparently kills Mr White. I wonder if we will see that scene in the ultimate edition of QOS... About Quantum: If John Logan and (hopefully!) Sam Mendes find a suitable way to bring back Quantum, fine, if not, they don't have to do that. And if they bring back Quantum, they surely have to find more menacing villains (unlike Greene) representing Quantum...
    Not that bothered about White. Wouldn't mind him returning but I won't be upset if they don't.
  • Mr White has to come back, one of the biggest sins the series has committed was never giving Blofeld a proper send off. The last we see of him (officially) is when he's trying to escape in a bathtub for god's sake. Mr White can't just be forgotten about as well, we need to see an end to the character. I personally don't want him to turn out as the head of Quantum, but I would like to see him back and with Jesper Christensen reprising the role, he was damn creepy in QOS.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    White is no Blofeld though. He's no where near that level. White was just a guy in a suit working for Quantum. He had some cool moments but imo he was a fairly average villian that I don't really care about.

If they want to bring Quantum back they need some really powerful, dangerous villians working for them/leading them.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale, I didn't care for that gunbarrel in the slightest, either.

The Brosnan one was the perfect update of the old one, it was really slick and stylish. I really don't get why, instead of using the DN-LTK design or the Brosnan era one, they use the crap QOS design again.
    Don't feel they need to re cast Mr White but if in the next film they need to go back to quantum i feel bond should end them once and for all in the biggest most dramatic end to a bond film yet and killing off Mr White and everyone he works with with Bond nearly killing himself in the process.
    Mr White has to come back, one of the biggest sins the series has committed was never giving Blofeld a proper send off. The last we see of him (officially) is when he's trying to escape in a bathtub for god's sake. Mr White can't just be forgotten about as well, we need to see an end to the character. I personally don't want him to turn out as the head of Quantum, but I would like to see him back and with Jesper Christensen reprising the role, he was damn creepy in QOS.

You clearly Know your Bond films have you never seen the start of for your eyes only where Blofeld tries to kill Bond in the helicopter so Bond takes control of the helicopter scoops up Blofeld then drops him down a chimney.

Mr White has to come back, one of the biggest sins the series has committed was never giving Blofeld a proper send off. The last we see of him (officially) is when he's trying to escape in a bathtub for god's sake.

Listening to the mood music coming out of Eon and from Craig, it may be more likely Blofeld will return than Mr White and Quantum (or perhaps Blofeld will be the head of Quantum? Who knows?).

Could be the story outline John Logan's come up with for Bond 24 (and Bond 25?) may focus on bringing Blowers back. In fact, I'd maybe put money on it. Maybe... ;)
  • oorogers wrote:
    You clearly Know your Bond films have you never seen the start of for your eyes only where Blofeld tries to kill Bond in the helicopter so Bond takes control of the helicopter scoops up Blofeld then drops him down a chimney.

That's not officially Blofeld though, they weren't allowed to use his name. And anyway that was still a terrible send off.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    oorogers wrote:

That's not officially Blofeld though, they weren't allowed to use his name. And anyway that was still a terrible send off.

Even Roger Moore said it was Blofeld, and since EON owns Kevin McClory's rights It most likely is Blofeld now. I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with bringing Blofeld Back. He's been used so much and He inspired Dr. Evil for crying out loud. He was a 60's villain and that's where he needs to stay.