Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Been playing Goldeneye Reloaded in recent days... am resisting 007 Legends because I have no way of downloading the Skyfall mission. Which would suck.

A question to any retro gamers - is getting the original Goldeneye 64 worth it?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thamesider, I remember the fun I had on that game when I was younger and the N64 was THE system at the time. It was a real blast. BUT, sometimes memories should be left at just that. I can't recall the sleepless nights I spent with my friend playing MP on TWINE on the N64, and when I visited a friend in Maine a few years ago, I was incredibly livid at how cheap the gameplay was, same with Mario Kart 64: I was young and didn't really call out the BS on it, but as I've grown up, I see it, and I fear the same would happen with Goldeneye 64. But, no harm in giving it a shot.
  • thamesider wrote:
    A question to any retro gamers - is getting the original Goldeneye 64 worth it?

It might seem a bit outdated to you but if you like old school shooters then yes.
    Popped in Deus Ex last night now there is an expansive game :D
  • I've been giving 007 Legends a play through, and I am pretty underwhelmed by it. While I really enjoyed the GoldenEye 007 remake, 007 Legends seems pointless and completely changes all the 'legendary' Bond moments we remember.

I'm also going back and playing the old 'From Russia With Love' game for Xbox. It's still cool to hear Sean Connery (albeit with a much stronger accent) in the role of 007.
  • I just played my old GoldenEye 64 last night -- took quite a bit of getting used to, control wise, but once I did man it really took me back! That game will always be fun!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @doubleogo, I was just about to bring that up. Rumored release date is December 15th - with achievements/trophies attached - with 'Hitman 2: Silent Assassin,' 'Hitman: Contracts,' and 'Hitman: Blood Money.' Should be great fun.

I have always wanted to play them. Now I may get to!
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, they were so much fun. 'Hitman 2: Silent Assassin' with no gravity and slow motion cheat codes = hours of fun. 'Hitman: Contracts' contained so many entertaining levels, I spent hours upon hours on each. I really hope this is true, as it would be an excellent gift to myself for Christmas.
    I've just been replaying GTA IV and having a blast. It's a good fun way to vent off the days stresses.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Risen 2: Dark Waters

I've now clocked up just over 13hrs, and i'm in Port Isabella trying to work out how to put the cannons out of action, so I can steal the Black Betty. I must say that I am now starting to really like this game. After the severe learnig curve at the start of the game and with my character (whom I have taken to call Sticky Fingered Pete*), now having gained some skills (aye, man got skills), the difficulty has eased up.

* It's a Pirate RPG, and i've been concentrating on his 'thievery/silver tongue' skill set.
  • @MajorDSmythe Have you played AC 3 yet? If you have, what are your thoughts?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @thelivingroyale Not yet. I was going to buy it, but I didn't have as much money on my GAME card, so I went with Risen 2 instead.
    I have such a backlog of games. But, currently, I've been working on games of all ages on the Xbox 360, because I recently re-purchased one over the summer. I'm now working on Call of Duty 2, AC3, Halo 4, and MoH; Warfighter. Whew.
  • Assassins Creed 3 starts of good then gets a bit boring but once you're really set into the open world with Connor (all the side activities unlocked, etc) it gets REALLY good.
    Is AC3 really as buggy as some gamers are claiming?
  • Is AC3 really as buggy as some gamers are claiming?

I've had the odd glitch but no real problems. It's not as bad as Fallout or Skyrim when it comes to bugs.
    Is AC3 really as buggy as some gamers are claiming?

I've had the odd glitch but no real problems. It's not as bad as Fallout or Skyrim when it comes to bugs.

That's good to hear. The odd glitch is to be expected these days, especially when developers has put out a patch after the game is released.
    Risen 2: Dark Waters

In my last post regarding this game, I had clocked up a mere 13hrs. This afternoon, I crossed the 40 hr mark... that's 40 hrs. As to where exactly in the game I am, I have just...
    ... spoken with Steelbeard's ghost in the Isle Of The Dead.

I now feel that there isn't much of this game left, in terms of the main quests, but still 40 hrs in todays gaming world ain't shabby... ain't shabby at all.
    @MajorDSmythe, would you say it's worth a purchase? I love a good third-person RPG, and I picked up the GOTY edition of 'Fable II' the other day to replay on my newer Xbox 360. I played a little bit of the first 'Risen,' but I recall it being really glitchy. What are your main thoughts/concerns with the sequel?
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,882
    I have not finished it yet, but some thoughts? Hhmm...

- There's a steep learning curve at the beginning. But once you start earning glory (XP), and spending it on skills, the game gets easier.

- The islands are a fair size with optional side quests hidden all over them. The reason it's taken me 40 hrs so far, i've been combing each of the islands for any quests I might have missed, in between the story quests.

- The writing is tiny. I've been struggling to read the writing in this game, a problem other gamers have had. For reference, i'm using a 28 inch tv, that's a few years old. Another game I had a similar problem was Venetica.

Other than the small writing, I don't have anything negative to say. I would say it's worth a purchase, absolutely.
    @MajorDSmythe, sounds good. I don't believe I had an HDTV at the time, but I recall not being able to read the subtitles whatsoever on 'Dead Rising.' I'm not talking in the sense that they were small or bad, I literally could not read them.

In regards to the learning curve, I've heard the same about 'The Witcher 2.' I played the tutorial mission of it, but returned it, fearing that it would be another game I held on to that I just couldn't allow myself to enjoy because it was beyond complicated. But, after reading up more on it, most players have said that it's tough in the beginning, but once you start unlocking everything, it gets much more simplistic.
    It's almost like the difficulty is in reverse. I've collected a lot of provisions (food), and i'm quite proficient with my Rapier and my Pistol as well as having a decent health rating. So I can take on anything the game can throw at me, be it human or monster, and survive. The only thing this game is missing, is sea battles. Pirate: The Legend Of Black Kat (PS2), was a good Pirate game with sea battles. That game even allowed you to upgrade the class of your ship, higher class = more cannons. >:)
    It's almost like the difficulty is in reverse. I've collected a lot of provisions (food), and i'm quite proficient with my Rapier and my Pistol as well as having a decent health rating. So I can take on anything the game can throw at me, be it human or monster, and survive. The only thing this game is missing, is sea battles. Pirate: The Legend Of Black Kat (PS2), was a good Pirate game with sea battles. That game even allowed you to upgrade the class of your ship, higher class = more cannons. >:)

AC3 has a good array of naval battles: you get to control the cannons and the guns while you pilot it on the seas. I haven't gotten far enough into them, but my friend said you can board enemy ships and battle the crew in swordfights. There are also trinkets scattered throughout the world, and every time you collect a certain amount, you can take them to a retired sailor who will give you a location of an island. Once there, you gather evidence that will all lead up to a final mission involving treasure, I presume. I haven't gotten too far into those, either.
  • Finished the main missions in AC 3.

Desmonds ending (like his character) was meh.
    They open the big door, Desmond has to choose between the sun tearing the world apart or releasing the evil God woman. If he chooses option A, he becomes a Jesus type person but eventually dies and people use his life lessons as an excuse to kill (like with all religions really). If he chooses option B, the evil God woman will try and enslave humanity and he will die instantly after releasing her.

Now here I thought I'd get to choose myself but the game chose for me. He picks option B. And blandy mc blandy bland dies (yay!).

To be fair I did like his modern day stuff in this one. Running around being a modern assassin was different and cool.

Connors ending though, was brilliant. The finale was awesome. I didn't like him much at first but I did start to warm up to him towards the end, even if he wasn't as good as Ezio (not sure if I'd put him above Altair or not). But really I found his dad a more entertaining character.

Overall this was fun but I was slightly let down. The gameplay was great, best of the series, but the story seemed to drag on a bit in parts and I didn't enjoy the characters as much as in AC 2/Brotherhood/Revelations. Still, a brilliant game.

1) AC 2
    2) AC 3
    3) AC Revelations
    4) AC Brotherhood/AC 1
    Sounds like a terrible ending to AC3. With Desmond, that is.

I'm actually playing Scene-It: Box Office Smash with my lady right now. It's pretty entertaining so far.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I'm just glad they've ditched him.

They should get rid off the modern day stuff now Desmonds story is done. Nobody plays the games for that anyway.

Or they could make a modern day protagonist who isn't a bland, generic and boring character.
    started replaying splinter cell conviction it's a good bit of fun I might pop in Alpha protocol and replay that soon.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Alpha Protocol is one of those games that had a great idea but not great execution. It needs a sequel. Assassins Creed, Saints Row, Just Cause all were meh games that got sequels and look how the sequels turned out (awesome).
    Playing Borderlands 2 on the pc.
    Pretty good fun.
    Is 'Alpha Protocol' worth the four or five bucks I see it priced at in Gamestop all the time?