The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

30 Days of Night was great, Ginger Snaps cool. The rest of that list for me were all a bit of fun, but no real classics. Just my opinion anyways.

Classic choice's thelivingroyale..
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm mostly about 70's horror; I'm a (blood)sucker for the aesthetics of the decade:

Dawn Of The Dead
    The Exorcist
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (78)
    Alien
    Halloween
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    The Last House On The Left
    The Omen

But I'm into all decades' horror really, beginning in the 20s with Nosferatu, then the Universal monsters of the 30s and some of the German expressionist thrillers and scary movies, with more Lugosi and Karloff in the 40s and then of course Hammer in the 50s along with great SciFi horror classics like Siegel's Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, Thing From Another World, ... The 60s and 70s are wonderful for horror fans: Psycho, Blood Feast, Peeping Tom, Rosemary's Baby, ... The 80s gave me my favourite horror killers: Freddy, Pinhead, Jason, ... And then pretty much everything the Major listed up from recent years. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have been making lists for each decade:

http://www.listal.com/list/horror-films-2000-2009
    http://www.listal.com/list/horror-films-1990-1999

Both lists are on-going, with a 1980-1989 list in the pipeline.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 144
    Ok, nearly killed me, but here is the Horror wall in my movie room:
    527044_284709794976889_1353006114_n.jpg
    402863_284709121643623_776901137_n.jpg

285416_284708271643708_1854322756_n.jpg
    299328_284707738310428_1855316823_n.jpg

564165_284707131643822_1108211348_n.jpg
    527095_284706181643917_2088164308_n.jpg

527095_284706178310584_1491299564_n.jpg
    527095_284706174977251_605284451_n.jpg

527095_284706171643918_803199748_n.jpg
    527095_284706168310585_1853676746_n.jpg

557213_284704731644062_1911665177_n.jpg
    260132_284703624977506_8225654_n.jpg
  • Wow. Very, very nice. I could only dream of having something like this. Great collection there.

Noticed a few of the DVDs on the last pic. So you're a horror fan and a Tarantino fan? Me and you are going to get along just fine.
    Wow. Very, very nice. I could only dream of having something like this. Great collection there.

Noticed a few of the DVDs on the last pic. So you're a horror fan and a Tarantino fan? Me and you are going to get along just fine.
    I don't believe it's possible to love film and not love QT!! :) I have been collecting movies and memorabilia for 14 years now, and when I built my house I actually put this room into the plans just for my movies.. It has a 8ft screen, with projector, sony surround sound system also. It's my man cave!!

• edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    OddJaws wrote:
    Wow. Very, very nice. I could only dream of having something like this. Great collection there.

I don't believe it's possible to love film and not love QT!! :) I have been collecting movies and memorabilia for 14 years now, and when I built my house I actually put this room into the plans just for my movies.. It has a 8ft screen, with projector, sony surround sound system also. It's my man cave!!

Hahaha, words to live by. Your man cave sounds awesome. Nice Alien/Predator collection too.
    Love those movies. My earliest memory of having nightmares was from the late 80's when my babysitter let me stay up late to watch Predator. I had nightmares for a week about skinned bodies!! True story. :)
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    You can probably tell from my avatar that I'm a big Predator fan. Great action, tons of great lines, Arny at his best, a great menacing creature and some really nice tense horror scenes.

Best monster movie ever.
    That is an impressive collection, @OddJaws! You have taste, sir. That Cpt Spaulding figurine is magic! :D
    DarthDimi wrote:
    That is an impressive collection, @OddJaws! You have taste, sir. That Cpt Spaulding figurine is magic! :D

Cheers mate! He is a delicious monster isn't he? Fried Chicken??? :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very, very cool collection. As you all got on the topic of it, I would have to say my favorite horror movie is 'The Thing.' In terms of scares, though, it's either 'The Descent' or 'Insidious.'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Very, very cool collection. As you all got on the topic of it, I would have to say my favorite horror movie is 'The Thing.'

Thanks amigo. And great great movie.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Watched Outpost last night. It could've done with a bit more gore IMO, but for those who haven't seen it, it's definitely worth checking out.

Excellent collection, @OddJaws.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Damn fine collection you have there, @OddJaws, it puts my own horror collection to shame. We're all coming over to your house for Halloween.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 144
    Damn fine collection you have there, @OddJaws, it puts my own horror collection to shame. We're all coming over to your house for Halloween.

Thanks QBranch.

Yup. Big ol' party at mine this Halloween.. Not dressed as a Bond character?? Your not getting in!! :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,879
    Very convenient. I don't need to change at all :D
    IGN had poster their review of American Mary:
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/22/american-mary-review

It will be nice to see Katharine Isabelle in a good horror film. I can't believe that it's been 12 years since the original Ginger Snaps.
    The new poster gives up a look at the new Leatherface:

Texas_Chainsaw_Poster_3_Version_2_10_26_12.jpg

The tag line reminds me of that of the JGTH trailer...

"Horror has many faces,
    Death wears many different masks,
    But pure evil has only one...
    ... and this is your final chance to see it."
  • Leatherface looks pretty good there. Can't wait.

IGN review Silent Hill 2.

edited November 2012 Posts: 13,882
    Is Danielle Harris in it? :)
  • Saw the first Hatchet when it came out, really enjoyed it. Is Hatchet 2 any good?
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,882
    @Dimi, I would assume Harris is in this. According to the IMDB she is and it would be a bit annoying if Marybeth was played by a different actress for the 3rd time.

EDIT
    Yes, she is:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3498094336/nm0364583

@royale, I didn't really like the first Hatchet, I thought Hatchet II was better.

It's good to see that since being let go as Jason, Hodder has found a new signature character. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Anybody else watch John Carpenter's Halloween masterpiece on Halloween night? I followed up with the sequel a few days after and wasn't that moved. It just seemed like John and Debra Hill just tried the same formula from the first, but this time in a hospital. And the scary thing about Michael is when you don't see him, while in this one he gets tons of screen-time, which doesn't have as strong an affect as when he is hiding in the shadows or captured in far away shots.
    Anybody else watch John Carpenter's Halloween masterpiece on Halloween night? I followed up with the sequel a few days after and wasn't that moved. It just seemed like John and Debra Hill just tried the same formula from the first, but this time in a hospital. And the scary thing about Michael is when you don't see him, while in this one he gets tons of screen-time, which doesn't have as strong an affect as when he is hiding in the shadows or captured in far away shots.

Each year, on Halloween, I submerse myself in what I find to be the 'perfect' Halloween trilogy, consisting of

*Halloween (Carpenter)
    *Halloween II (Carpenter)
    *Halloween H20 (Miner)

I get a satisfying resolution and the required fun of this trilogy.

I watch the remainder of the films on other occasions and less frequently. Anyway, I'm a huge Halloween fan. :)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:

Each year, on Halloween, I submerse myself in what I find to be the 'perfect' Halloween trilogy, consisting of

*Halloween (Carpenter)
    *Halloween II (Carpenter)
    *Halloween H20 (Miner)

I get a satisfying resolution and the required fun of this trilogy.

I watch the remainder of the films on other occasions and less frequently. Anyway, I'm a huge Halloween fan. :)

Good picks. The weird thing is that Halloweens 4, 5 and 6 are apparently in a separate universe from the Strode films, which doesn't make sense because Jamie is supposed to be Laurie's daughter. Yet Loomis has his scar from surviving the explosion in Halloween 2, however impossible that is, so that means that the two separate films must be connected. The timeline always confuses me because some things carry over, while others don't. Sadly the whole twist that Laurie and Michael were brother and sister was thrown in when no other ideas came to the board and the team needed to get out of a writing rut and finish the film. Halloween 2 was technically the end of Michael, and both he and Loomis were meant to have died in the explosion together. And since Carpenter never worked on another Halloween film after than, I think that was his ending for the story of Michael Myers.
    Anyone else see 'Sinister' and find it incredibly dull and boring as I did? Out of all of the rave reviews - "professionals" and friends alike - I went and saw this and found myself jumping at just one brief scene. It delivered nowhere near as many scares as 'Insidious' did.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Anyone else see 'Sinister' and find it incredibly dull and boring as I did? Out of all of the rave reviews - "professionals" and friends alike - I went and saw this and found myself jumping at just one brief scene. It delivered nowhere near as many scares as 'Insidious' did.

Seriously? And I was rather looking forward to giving that one a try this week.
    Anyway, please don't spoil it, friend. ;-) I'm going to make up my own demon mind. :)

@DarthDimi, I'll only say what people want to hear ;) the film was incredibly eerie, but it wasn't as scary as people make it out to be. I still say you should give it a try.