The MI6 Martial Arts Thread

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited November 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 17,687
Hey- we all here must have some fighting ability, being Bond fans & all...
What is it?

I've studied martial arts since Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon came out- Okinawan Kempo, Tae Kwon Do, Praying Mantis, Jeet Kune Do, Aikido & Wing Chun in various schools. Also Tai Chi, Bagua & Drunken Boxing from books & videos.
What is your training?

Comments

• That's pretty impressive, i have done kick boxing though not to any great standard. i used to do alot of high intensity training also weight lifting, cycling, circuit training and long distance running. used to train up some friends also, incorporated kick boxing into routines i did with them. alas i am not as fit as i was, had a few long term injuries.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Injuries, whoah, I've had a few...re-tore a ligament during a forward/back split at 26, took over a year to be able to do it again.... and not nearly as well.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6,432
    chrisisall wrote:
    Injuries, whoah, I've had a few...re-tore a ligament during a forward/back split at 26, took over a year to be able to do it again.... and not nearly as well.

i can relate to that, had problems with my Achilles, not being able to walk properly for several months was not fun lol aiming to start training again, been hit and miss recently, got to rediscover my focus and self discipline.
    got to rediscover my focus and self discipline.
    If it hurts, do it is my recovery motto.
    :))
  • my mantra was no retreat no surrender when blasting through the pain. lol ill get there for sure :-)
    Here's the best book I've seen on my chosen favourite style
    http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Rene-Ritchie-Yuen-Kay-San-Wing-Chun-p/rr01.htm
    I'd be interested in others' favourite books...
  • Not martial arts but I did lots of boxing when I was younger. Won a few tournaments actually.
    Not martial arts but I did lots of boxing when I was younger. Won a few tournaments actually.
    In my world Boxing IS a martial art.
    :)>-
    have studied various style of chinese martial arts since 1986, and for the last 17 years have trained in Hung Gar Kuen with Jim Uglow...and I am...CRAP!!
    Humility is good in a martial artist.
  • Prepare for war for 100 years if only to fight 1 day.

Always realise that there is someone better.

No one wins a fight, you survive.

Kick the other guy in the dangly bits first!

Don't stop till the other guy is finished.

Basic fighting philosophy, do whatever you need to walk away!

Hard facts.

I DO KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,882
    Agentprovo wrote:

Either that or become a black belt in running away in the other direction. Both are good options.

• Agentprovo wrote:

Either that or become a black belt in running away in the other direction. Both are good options

Yes the other option.

But Just remember what the guy said in Zombieland

(1) Cardio - out run the fat guy
    (2) Double tap - put them down for good
    (3) Enjoy the little things - Well you know!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,687
    I practice TKD =)
    Watch for sweeps when you go for the head shot, bro. Try faking it first, then jump the sweep & do it for real- worked for me.
    :P
    I remember doing Tae Kwon Do when I was younger.

Then we moved and I joined a Karate school. The first day I impressed the instructor. It just happened to be sparing day and I kicked the shit out of him. He wan't used to that. Haha.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Not martial arts but I did lots of boxing when I was younger. Won a few tournaments actually.
    In my world Boxing IS a martial art.
    :)>-

Well then I don't mean to brag but I think I'd have been a black belt :P

Can't remember why or when I stopped actually. I took it pretty seriously, I gave up playing football for it, I still boxed when I was training as a mechanic. I must've stopped when I joined the army and just never bothered after.

I'm only 30, I should make a Rocky style comeback ;)
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,687
    Bruce Lee recognized Boxing as important enough to include it HEAVILY into his JKD.
    I'm only 30, I should make a Rocky style comeback ;)
    You're so young, make it happen!! B-)
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I joined a Karate school. The first day I impressed the instructor. It just happened to be sparing day and I kicked the shit out of him.
    A white guy? Girl? Woman? Just curious. My first Karate instructor was a white guy & he was a loser. My second was from Okinawa, and he was not to be effed with. Great teacher.

chrisisall wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I joined a Karate school. The first day I impressed the instructor. It just happened to be sparing day and I kicked the shit out of him.
    A white guy? Girl? Woman? Just curious. My first Karate instructor was a white guy & he was a loser. My second was from Okinawa, and he was not to be effed with. Great teacher.

White guy. Small town. You see why I quit.
  • I hold a black belt in Shotokan Karate, senior instructor from Japan.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I did stage combat for a while. Learnt a lot of fighting techniques which were for the stage and screen, so were done safely and with no one getting hurt.

We learnt unarmed combat, knife fighting, and various styles of sword fighting. All of these things could be applied "real world" but in the classes you practice with a partner to create a choreographed fight which looks brutal but is actually harmless.
    I did stage combat for a while.
    That's fun stuff- I did fight scenes in some small independent shorts, and had Toxie toss me over a wall in Toxic Avenger IV. All my martial arts classes were useful in the real world post high-school after all!
  • I've been studying Uechi Ryu Karate for about 10 years - also an Okinawan martial art!
  • AliAli
    I can do the crane kick. If do right, no can defense.
  • Ali wrote:
    I can do the crane kick. If do right, no can defense.

HaHa This to paraphrase Angie Jolie in SALT, Crane Kick is "Brilliant BullSh*t".
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair

3 Dangerous Moves to Win Any Street Fight

Kung Fu Techniques : Pressure Points in Chinese Martial Arts

a few tips on self defence. :)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @chrisisall
    I am trained in hand to hand combat partly based on Pankration and trained in Krav Maga.
    I was active in the Swiss special forces for 20 years, the equivalent to your Marines I'd say.
    I also trained free fight now called mixed martial arts for some time, but it came in the way with my soccer career.

I'm a parachute scout in the army.

Very impressive list by the way, it would be my honour to fight you one day ;)
    edited May 2016 Posts: 17,687
    @BondJasonBond006 see me in martial action in this mid 80's short film I was in (I'm the chaser- and this is before I studied REAL seriously; I had only taken Okinawan Kempo & Tai Kwon Do at this point)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    OMG that was awesome!!! ^:)^