Sean Connery - The Football (Soccer) Player

edited November 2012 in News Posts: 36
I was watching Sky Soccer Saturday earlier and the presenter was giving the score of a game being played in the Scottish FA Cup. The home team, Bonnyrigg Rose were taking a beating and were down 6 goals to nil. The presenter then said that even 007 couldn't save them and mentioned that Sean Connery used to play for this team. I did a search and found it to be true. This was news to me and a great little bit of info to have found out. Did anyone on here know of this?

Link to what I found - http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/sjfa/scottish_football.cfm?page=1711

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I was aware he had the chance to play for Man Utd. Didn't know that, good find.
  • Connery must have been a decent footballer. Oddly I was discussing this only today. He turned out for a 'Showbiz XI' (along with Des O'Connor) against a 'Welsh Sportsmen XI' at Newport County's Somerton Park ground in 1961. The chap I was talking to remembered the match and, even then (pre-Dr No's release) he remembered Connery having a certain presence on the pitch. I think he had a real passion for the game (although in subsequent years it was superseded by golf, of course).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I was watching Sky Soccer Saturday earlier and the presenter was giving the score of a game being played in the Scottish FA Cup. The home team, Bonnyrigg Rose were taking a beating and were down 6 goals to nil. The presenter then said that even 007 couldn't save them and mentioned that Sean Connery used to play for this team. I did a search and found it to be true. This was news to me and a great little bit of info to have found out. Did anyone on here know of this?

Link to what I found - http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/sjfa/scottish_football.cfm?page=1711

Great find mate and it somewhat counters the myth that Sean was good enough to play for Man U. From most people who saw him the consensus seems to be he wasnt up to much. Must have just played a blinder when Busby was watching but at the age of 23 he would have made it by then if he was going to so you have to think he made the right choice.
  • Yep, exactly what I thought. Luckily for us all on here, he made the correct choice to act.........
  • royale65 wrote:
    I was aware he had the chance to play for Man Utd. Didn't know that, good find.

I heard about the Man Utd link. He could have played with Charlton, Law and Best? Not a bad fallback if the acting hadn't worked out!
  • That is a great find. Seems Connery wasn't that good after all, I'd heard he almost played for man united too.

Take soccer out of the title, we need to educate the Americans (and everyone else). It's football!!! ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Take soccer out of the title, we need to educate the Americans (and everyone else). It's football!!! ;)

Very well said.