Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• Aren't the opening chords derivative of the last Bond song, Another Way to Die?

Not a great song, but while I haven't heard her albums, she's only done three songs surely, Chasing Pavements, Hometown, that Dylan one she didn't write and Someone Like You, all good but no guarantee she can write on commission. That faster one Rolling in the Deep I don't like much.

Often EoN pick singers who are jumping the shark or who go on to better things; Alicia Keys Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart or New York being a case in point.
    I really liked the Adele song and thought it worked well as the Bond title opener, @NapoleonPlural. I'm not sure I hear the same opening derivative chords that you hear on AWTD either. I must add that Alicia Keys was already a five times Grammy winner in 2001 with her debut album, Songs in A Minor and a huge commercial success, selling over 12 million copies worldwide. Also her hugely successful follow up album The Diary of Alicia Keys and other work prior QoS surely lifts her above the rising star tag?

The only artist that fits your "jump the shark" scenario is possibly Chris Cornell who was hardly a household name before YKMN. I never thought it was Eon's intention to choose a performer other than a huge name, regardless of whether they were leftfield or one-off chart-toppers. I think Cornell was more the exception than the rule.
  • Fair enough. I was going back a bit, and pointing out that often great pop stars do Bond-style songs that sound better than the ones they wind up doing. A-ha's Hunting High and Low, Duran Duran's Come Undone, Save a Prayer, Notorious, Tina Turner's Simply the Best, anything by Garbage, anything by Madonna. So Keys wasn't up and coming, true, and she's still going strong but her recent stuff is better imo.
    I think if Alicia Keys had actually written the song it would have been much better than what we got. As it was it was Jack White who wrote both lyrics and music. Yes, I agree with you on some of your post Bond examples such as Duran Duran and Madonna.

• Not a great song, but while I haven't heard her albums, she's only done three songs surely, Chasing Pavements, Hometown, that Dylan one she didn't write and Someone Like You, all good but no guarantee she can write on commission. That faster one Rolling in the Deep I don't like much.

I have over 36 Adele songs on my iPod...25 of which are originally written all by Adele. Not sure what you mean by "she's only done three songs surely". Out of her 2 albums, there's only 1 on each not written by her. And she has a lot more songs written by her that were never included in her albums.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    Just asking, anyone who still wants the Instrumental? ;)
  • MartinBond wrote:

If it's like OMHSS then yes, love it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    MartinBond wrote:

It is on the CD single release, as the second track.

I want the song the used for the first trailer and some of the other promotional videos. It's not just the Bond theme, because I've heard different parts on some of the videoblogs.

You know, that techno-y tune?
  • So I managed to completely avoid this song until I watched the film, which looking back now means I probably live under a rock.
    Anyways, the beat of the song was okay, but the lyrics of the chorus were horrible. "We will stand tall"? Is there any more cliched rhyme than that?
    I'm not an Adele fan, but this song was better than a lot of her other stuff.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Adele's Skyfall single is for the fifth week in a row number 1 in the Netherlands!!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 269
    jackdagger wrote:
    So I managed to completely avoid this song until I watched the film, which looking back now means I probably live under a rock.
    Anyways, the beat of the song was okay, but the lyrics of the chorus were horrible. "We will stand tall"? Is there any more cliched rhyme than that?
    I'm not an Adele fan, but this song was better than a lot of her other stuff.
    I agree with you. The music was Ok for a Bond film and above what she usually sings (since, according to Paul Epworth, it was an attempt to sound like a Shirley Bassey's song), but the lyrics are quite poor.
    That's sad, because the subject was rich enough to have some great texts.
    I was under the same rock as you, trying to discover the song during a brilliant TS, but what I discovered was very dull. They should have made her sing the Tennyson Poem on the music. It would have been less ridiculous.
    "You can have my number but you will never get my heart" ? Come on, it's plain silly. Lulu did not said anything as bad in TMWTGG ^^
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    -I was taking a bath, and as i heard it on the radio, my tears fell into the water..I simply could not believe it-but that was on the spot,-and I felt that the walls just started to cave in on me..! for others it might be for better or for worse-but You can certainly not entirely ignore it..

And the award for the most melodramatic post of the year goes to....?
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    Ytterbium wrote:
    jackdagger wrote:
    So I managed to completely avoid this song until I watched the film, which looking back now means I probably live under a rock.
    "You can have my number but you will never get my heart" ? Come on, it's plain silly. Lulu did not said anything as bad in TMWTGG ^^

"Just like the Moonraker goes, in search of his dream of gold"

That's hardly Shakespeare material. Bond-songs never had the most intriguing and sensible lyrics ;)

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Skyfall is up to number 4 in the UK, really good going. Could it be the Bond song that spends the longest amount of time in the top 40?
  • I'd have to say that Adele's SkyFall may be the best since the original James Bond Theme song.
  • JWPepper wrote:
    Adele's Skyfall single is for the fifth week in a row number 1 in the Netherlands!!

You kidding no???
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Skyfall is up to number 4 in the UK, really good going. Could it be the Bond song that spends the longest amount of time in the top 40?

One question for you Sammie001. You think 'Skyfall' is the 'biggest hit' since 'A View To A Kill', even slightly outperforming that song?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I haven't really clung to the song yet. It didn't surprise or thrill me like YKMN has and will always do, but we'll see.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:

One question for you Sammie001. You think 'Skyfall' is the 'biggest hit' since 'A View To A Kill', even slightly outperforming that song?

Well both got to number two in the UK, so I'd say at least the biggest hit since then, if not - chart wise - ever.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    JWPepper wrote:

You kidding no???

NO, I am not:
    top40w.jpg

• edited November 2012 Posts: 11,119
    Have a look at this. The most beautiful covers for 'Skyfall' are coming in:
    <youtube>
    I can't reminder that the previous Bond songs 'You Know My Name' and 'Another Way To Die' inspired so many people.
    I played Muse's Supremacy over the title sequence and it played rather well. It was too long though. Still, pretty chilling with either song.
  • I am very late to this conversation, I know, but my, what a song! I love it!
  • I enjoy this violinist's rendition more. He's able to portray more soul in the music. It's as if Adele is singing through his violin.

• ^^ WOW! Amazing!
  • I haven't really clung to the song yet. It didn't surprise or thrill me like YKMN has and will always do, but we'll see.

Really? You're in the cinema, bond returns after 4 years, a thrilling PTS ending with a floating JB cue Adele, superb title sequence promising an emotional ride with Adele belting it our from her inner soul and you're not grabbed. Really, honestly you're not moved at all? ;)) =))
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    It's growing on me (I liked it much better in the cinema with the titles) but I still prefer the Muse song.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The song and the main title sequence, go really well together, IMHO

I heard the song twice at work yesterday. It seems the radio stations producers wanted to promote Skyfall, as opposed to the still-born emo-feast that is Twilight.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I haven't really clung to the song yet. It didn't surprise or thrill me like YKMN has and will always do, but we'll see.

Really? You're in the cinema, bond returns after 4 years, a thrilling PTS ending with a floating JB cue Adele, superb title sequence promising an emotional ride with Adele belting it our from her inner soul and you're not grabbed. Really, honestly you're not moved at all? ;)) =))

I have listened to it more, and like it a little more. I get goosebumps, but her vocals for "SKYFALL" at the end of the sets of lyrics is too shrill. I was expecting her to belt it all out like Shirley. The song never reaches the peak I wish it did.