What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

No one up for Tim Burton to step in? :-\"

God, no. The man can't do anything other than gothic films. His early work was pure genius, but he keeps using the same formula and it's got to a point when its just tired.
  • robboadam wrote:
    No one up for Tim Burton to step in? :-\"

God, no. The man can't do anything other than gothic films. His early work was pure genius, but he keeps using the same formula and it's got to a point when its just tired.

Haha I know, would be awful. Just be a mixture of gothic architecture and wacky characters (Depp as the villain in the vein of Zorin).

Even if it was good, could you put up with Danny Elfman's score?
  • Tim Burton is the complete opposite of James Bond, the two don't even exist in the same universe.

Also, Burton can't direct action whatsoever.
  • David Fincher
  • I have just watched (for the 1ST time) X MEN FIRST CLASS by Matthew Vaughn. I am now convinced that the reason he has walked from the next X MEN film is because he is probably going to be directing BOND 24 if Sam Mendes definately passes. Its basically a BOND film dressed up as an X MEN film. The amount of times during the special features on the bluray that Bond is mentioned as an influence is staggering. a very good film only let down for me by a rather silly sequence at the end involving subs, ships, beaches and missiles..
    Er.. no, @nobodydoesitbetter. Matthew Vaughn's working on Secret Service by Mark Miller as his next feature film.
  • O6GO6G
    edited October 2012 Posts: 80
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    My unrealistics:
    Quentin Tarantino - if he did more of his Jackie Brown rather his Kill Bill.
    Chris Nolan - as long as he and his brother wrote it, of course, and throw in Zimmerman
    Actually.. If Quentin Tarantino wrote it, and Christopher Nolan directed it. With Michael Fassbender in the role as Bond, I think we would have an amazing film on our hands. Just look at this clip. Dialogue written by Quentin, and marvellous acting by Fassbender.Very Bond-esque. Imagine how classic it would be! With Ralph Fiennes and everything.

• bondsum wrote:
    Er.. no, @nobodydoesitbetter. Matthew Vaughn's working on Secret Service by Mark Miller as his next feature film.

@bondsum...didn't realise that...seeing as there was no listing of this on imdb for Matthew Vaughn as an upcoming project...ANYWAY..i hope its Mendes!
    Guy Hamilton is still alive!
  • Do you know, I'd prefer a craftsman rather than an auteur. No disrespect..but a Campbell rather than a Mendes for example...

Like Kershner or Marquand on the original Star Wars trilogy.

Someone like Tarantino, for example, would be a disaster I think.

Do you know, I'd prefer a craftsman rather than an auteur. No disrespect..but a Campbell rather than a Mendes for example...

Adrian Paul is a good craftsman I feel but I doubt anyone would agree he should direct in spite of directing the best Highlander episodes.

But C'est le vie

And yet many here didn't like Kershner's Bond picture back in 1983. I agree with you about Tarantino.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    If Mendes wants to do Bond 24, it would be great. Some people in a German forum hinted, that there were differences and trouble between Campbell and Craig, and that because of this Campbell would not return at least during Craig's tenure. Is that just a silly rumour or is there any truth in that?
  • Sam for the next two to see off DC with a big bang and then bring in Gareth Evans...with Joshua Bowman as Bond. Surely Now the only crediable candidate to play 007 after DC.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,261
    How about Mendes and maybe Biyle for the two Craig Bonds and that let Noland do the next Bond (or Campbell, if it was only Craing having a problem with him, if this is treu) with Michael Fassbender. But then Mike and Babs would have to accept all of his conditions, i.e. to let him and his brother writing the script, Wally Pfister as DoP ad Zimmer as composer (but mabe have Newton Howrd as co-scorer, their Batman scores were great stuff),,,
    O6G wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    My unrealistics:
    Quentin Tarantino - if he did more of his Jackie Brown rather his Kill Bill.
    Chris Nolan - as long as he and his brother wrote it, of course, and throw in Zimmerman
    Actually.. If Quentin Tarantino wrote it, and Christopher Nolan directed it. With Michael Fassbender in the role as Bond, I think we would have an amazing film on our hands. Just look at this clip. Dialogue written by Quentin, and marvellous acting by Fassbender.Very Bond-esque. Imagine how classic it would be! With Ralph Fiennes and everything.

Actually the pub scene for me was one of the major flaws with IB. The whole thing dragged on for almost half an hour, and nothing important happened. Same with JACKIE BROWNE, the scene which we see from three or four perpsectives... Tarantino indulges himself into funny dialogues and sometimes forgets to tell a story...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If this is true, Matthew Vaughn may be tied up for a while.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-matthew-vaughn/208715/
    Exclusive: Sam Mendes, director of the new James Bond movie “Skyfall,” says he’s “considering” directing the next two Bond movies. John Logan is writing a two parter for Bonds 24 and 25. No director has been announced yet but since Mendes and Logan made such a good team it would seem like the director would repeat as well. At last night’s Britannia Awards in Hollywood, our LEAH SYDNEY spoke to Mendes. He told her when she asked about 24 and 25: “I’m considering it. I still need to rest, but I am considering it.” Mendes also said he was “thrilled” that everyone loves “Skyfall” so much, but reiterated: “I loved doing it, but it took two years really. I need a rest now.”

So someone get this man a couch quickly, and some slippers!

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/11/08/skyfall-director-sam-mendes-considering-directing-new-two-james-bond-films
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    With Logan and Mendes working together on the TV Vampire project, this may well come to pass. I'd love Mendes for the next two films, or Bond 24 at least.
    That would be give the series a big boost if Mendes got behind the next 2 Bonds. And @Samuel00, I think you're forgetting that Martin Scorsese managed to direct the pilot for Boardwalk Empire aswell as producing it and at the same time oversee both Hugo and George Harrison: Living in the Material World in a very similar time window. I'm sure Mendes is more the capable of working around both Bond and his vampire TV show.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I mentioned the TV Series, as both he and Logan will discuss the next Bond films during this time. I have no doubt Mendes will be able to do both should he want to.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    Why not Tim Burton for me:

- He lives in his own fantasy world that was ok for a while, but he's become a joke. I'm all for some changes, including directors bringing their own style to Bond, but I don't want cardboard characters in a 3D film or a gothic MI6 mansion.

- Johnny Depp, Burton just has to find a place for him. We get the Jack Sparrow trick now, and I've always considered Brad Pitt a much finer actor. (ok attack me)

Who I'd love to see (again)?

- Sam Mendes
    - Christopher Nolan
    - David Fincher
    - Martin Campbell
    _ Michael Mann
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Why not Tim Burton for me:

- He lives in his own fantasy world that was ok for a while, but he's become a joke. I'm all for some changes, including directors bringing their own style to Bond, but I don't want cardboard characters in a 3D film or a gothic MI6 mansion.

- Johnny Depp, Burton just has to find a place for him. We get the Jack Sparrow trick now, and I've always considered Brad Pitt a much finer actor. (ok attack me)

Who I'd love to see (again)?

- Sam Mendes
    - Christopher Nolan
    - David Fincher
    - Martin Campbell
    _ Michael Mann

I like Fincher as director for bond 24 plus isn't he american that alone would bring tons of publicity!
  • Tim Burton can make good films but he's totally wrong for Bond.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    - Martin Campbell
    _ Michael Mann

Campbell said he wouldn't return because he's done Bond every way he could do, normal with GE, origin story/reboot with CR.

Mann is a brilliant choice.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    Exclusive: Sam Mendes, director of the new James Bond movie “Skyfall,” says he’s “considering” directing the next two Bond movies. John Logan is writing a two parter for Bonds 24 and 25. No director has been announced yet but since Mendes and Logan made such a good team it would seem like the director would repeat as well. At last night’s Britannia Awards in Hollywood, our LEAH SYDNEY spoke to Mendes. He told her when she asked about 24 and 25: “I’m considering it. I still need to rest, but I am considering it.” Mendes also said he was “thrilled” that everyone loves “Skyfall” so much, but reiterated: “I loved doing it, but it took two years really. I need a rest now.”

So someone get this man a couch quickly, and some slippers!

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/11/08/skyfall-director-sam-mendes-considering-directing-new-two-james-bond-films

I hope this is true....Mendes would be the best choice I think to direct Craigs next 2 films. It will help to have some consistency in the direction of the films and to have on board a director who knows drama and has proved with SF he is very capable indeed of directing great action set pieces along with his 2nd Unit. Hopefully we will hear sooner than later that Mendes has signed on for the next one with an option for Bond 25.
    /\ could not agree more!
    Gareth Evans, the welsh director based in Indonesia (a location Bond hasnt been to yet) who directed THE best movie of this year (and for a good few years!!!....yes BETTER than Skyfall!!) The Raid - love to see Daniel Craig having to fight his way out of a fifty storey building - maybe Blofeld's lair???
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Tom Ford?

No, really. He designs Bond's suits, and he has directed "A Single Man", which from memory was quite the little awards winner.

He'd need a good second unit director though. At least the film would look classy.

On the subject of more likely potential directors;

Peter Weir
    Gary Ross
    Steven Soderberg
    Chris Nolan
    Danny Boyle
    Brad Bird
    According to B Brocolli the reason she watched Layer Cake was not for Craig but actually to see what Matthew Vaughn was like as a potential director. Given that X Men:First Class had a real sixties Bond vibe i think he would be a terrific choice. After the whole oylmpics thing i can also see good possibility for Danny Boyle. But from out of left field my choice would be Stuart Baird. Not a top name i grant you and many will say that Star Trek Nemisis was shit (i agree), but Exectutive Decision was a top suspense thriller with some excellent performances and US Marshalls a greatly underated sequel to The Fugitive. A more workmanlike director i will grant you but thats not always a bad thing. Also a top, top editor so you know the film would flow superbly