The 'squirmiest' ending to a Bond film.

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
Which film do you think had the most effect on you to make you squirm in your seat with slight embarrassment or inwardly groan at it,just before the credits rolled.

For me it has to be MR with the 'i think he's attempting re-entry Sir' and 'take me round the world one more time ? '

That really has me reaching for the sick bucket.

Howz about you lot in the land of mi6 ?

Comments

• The World is Not Enough - That terrible christmas pun, plus the whole set up and thermal scanner thing reeks of cheap comedy cheese, and hey, thats what it is. Terrible.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I thought the TWINE ending was rather tame really. I suppose "squirmiest" would have to go to AVTAK with Moore in the shower with a woman young enough to be his daughter. Also, we have that weird "cat" CCTV thing.

OR there is the ending of DAD with not just one but several bad, cheesy innuendo's.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I never cared for the ending of LTK: an all-too-happy Leiter concerning the events of the film, Bond picking Pam over Lupe and the winking fish ;).
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    No question it's the Christmas jokes

Honorable mention:

Madge on FYEO
    Jack Wade and the Marines watching Bond and Natalya making out in GE.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    how can it get any worse than Die Another Day...

"I'm sooo good.."

"Especially when your baaad."

oh for fucks sake!! - that was about as cringe worthy as you can get - plus, with Brosnan getting up there in age, it was starting to look like Halle Berry was being sexed up by a grandpa lol.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 110
    This thread really has me confused because I adore each one of the moments mentioned above.
    Quite a few of them: The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day have already been mentioned, of course, and I should add that Lulu wailing "James Bond is here!" at the end of The Man With The Golden Gun is excruciatingly embarrassing for me (definitely more so than the final moments of Brosnan's last two entries, and probably every other moment in the series as well).
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    AVTAK, Moore standing in the shower with a 25 year younger girl. 'nuff said!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    A View To A Kill, The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day are by far the worst in the series.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    TMWTGG, How could you concentrate on giving Brit the works when you've got that little french chap hanging in the basket overhead, Bond should of thrown the basket overboard, it would of been the kindest thing to do!
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 50
    I've always been a bit embarrassed by LTK's conclusion, mostly due to Leiter's jovial phone call (love the film as whole, mind you). Out of context, DAD's ending is probably the most groan-inducing for me.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 107
    Quoting UndiscoveredCountry: I've always been a bit embarrassed by LTK's conclusion, mostly due to Leiter's jovial phone call
    I always considered that not so much an embarrassment as a just a jarring, "What the hell?!" kind of thing. Just like the triumphant James Bond Theme at the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Interesting to see Licence To Kill get a few mentions, but not that. Is it because On Her Majesty's Secret Service's "What the hell?!" moment occurs during the end credits rather than before them, I wonder?
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 50
    Quoting JobeGDG: Interesting to see Licence To Kill get a few mentions, but not that. Is it because On Her Majesty's Secret Service's "What the hell?!" moment occurs during the end credits rather than before them, I wonder?
    Probably. It's easy enough to mute OHMSS's credits (or at least to turn the volume way down, which is what I typically do), but fast-forwarding through Felix's invitation to go fishing hurts the immersion somewhat. Also, while the abrupt Bond theme in OHMSS is bothersome, it doesn't impact my impression of any of the characters in the film. Leiter's flub feels more like something that would come from a rushed scriptwriter than an actual person, damaging my emotional involvement in the character ever so slightly.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited March 2011 Posts: 3,262
    Quoting JobeGDG: I should add that Lulu wailing "James Bond is here!" at the end of The Man
    With The Golden Gun
    is excruciatingly embarrassing for me (definitely more
    so than the final moments of Brosnan's last two entries, and probably every
    other moment in the series as well).

Oh, I love that ending from TMWTGG. It's my favorite ending to a Roger Moore 007 film. It suits the film perfectly.
  • I'm with barryt007 on this. From the first time I saw this at the flicks, I felt that it wasn't the sort of comment for a Bond film and it belonged in a "Confessions...." film, and then I found out
    @JobeGDG yea when you will think about it i agree.my reaction when OHMSS was:???!!!!
    i really expected it to continue it wasnt bad end but i felt like there should be more of it i wanted to see more,well ok the movie ended here but i wanted to see Lazenby in more movies.the feeling was that he left some job unfinished
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    LALD. I know I'm not supposed to take the Baron's resurrection seriously but it's still more than I'm willing to take from a Bond film.
    I'm going to have to agree with JobeGDC about MWTGG. There's something cringe-worthy about the whole scene and I'm well aware its suppose to be tongue in cheek. It just feels kind of...cheap.

Although I do find the "Big Bully, shadap" line quite funny. The latter sounds like the short gangster from Looney Tunes.
  • As much as I enjoy For Your Eyes Only, I think it takes the cake for me for squirmiest ending. I can understand a double-taking pigeon in Moonraker... but, when the bird starts talking back, I think we've gone one step too far. hah! And this scene coming in one of Moore's more serious films. It comes off as slightly disjointed with the tone of the film. I know there still remained camp in the film, but the bird talking to Thatcher always makes me squirm when watching it with others!
    I don't really have ONE i have lots

*LTK: my most hated film up until that scene i thought there was only ONE bond girl
    *TWINE: Not on my xmas list (Sorry, So,so sorry)
    *DAF: "Bombay Surprise?" at what stage between Lazenby and Connery did bond become an idiot?

Bloodstone makes me squirm in another way; To be Continued (Actually it WON'T!!!)

My Favorite
    CR: Daniel Craig+ Big Gun x Immortal Words= GOLD

• LTK's ending for me is the worst- for all the reasons mentioned above....

@Virage - You're right there: CR definately has a top ending, and I quite partial to QoS too...
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    No question: TWINE, DAD, and DAF have the most cringeworthy endings of the series.

The best, for me, would have to be OHMSS and FRWL - I do not have a problem with the jarring 007 theme at the end of OHMSS because it signals that James Bond will return and fits in with the entire off-beat nature of the film; and I love Bond's wave and the way Venice looks at the end of FRWL. http://screenmusings.org/FromRussiaWithLove/pages/007frwl_708.htm
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I totally agree with @PrinceKamalKahn - TMWTGG's ending is not only the best Moore ending, but the the best ending of the entire franchise.

I'm suprised no one mentionned FRWL ? Connery's corny waving at the camera, and obvious back-projection is just horrible.
  • LTK - Felix seems remarkably happy for a man who's just seen his wife murdered and has had his leg bitten off...not to mention the painfully unmoving fake iguana.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    edited May 2011 Posts: 257
    LTK - Felix seems remarkably happy for a man who's just seen his wife murdered and has had his leg bitten off...
    That has never bothered me. The film simply had to show Leiter alive at the end of the film or it would lack closure and it makes sense that he would be happy to hear that Bond is alive after avenging the death of his wife. But I imagine that Leiter would be less happy beforehand, taking in everything that had happened, and afterward, during his months of rehabilitation, but the film does not explore that.

I am not saying that the scene could not have been handled better than it was, but I do not think it is near as bad as a lot of people say.

Never noticed a "fake" iguana, looked real to me (they don't move much, do they?). I'll have to keep an eye out for that next time.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I think the LTK ending does feel a little rushed but it isn't the worst.

Nonetheless it is noticeable. As I said b4 it would have been better to have him at least look at a pic of Della. This would actually acknowledge the loss he suffered.

Felix was talking as if he was recovering from a knee op.

For some reason the TWINE ending never bothered me. It's cheesy yes but knowingly so, nothing compared to the plain (bad) innuendo overkill of DAD.
    There are a few contenders, but for me, DAD gets the prize. It`s not even funny, like TSWLM, FYEO, or even TWINE. It`s just plain cringeworthy in the truest sense for some reason. Probably the acting. The sense of "knowingly cheesey" is missing, if you know what I mean....
    i love the LTK ending jumping into a pool with the winking fish - so romantic and somehow was in keeping with TD's Bond, strange but I think a good fit.

Worst - well PB's aren't too good - esp DAD. DAF ending is too good but it has to be AVTAK ending with the symbolic robot pussy looking into the shower with Moore and his lady - wrong wrong wrong.
    Die Another Day was horrible, horrible, horrible. As was its ending. (Heh). I'm ashamed to say I laughed at the Christmas pun in The World Is Not Enough though.

For an older suggestion, the Margaret Thatcher scene in FYEO is a bit painful, and (as phenomenal as the rest of the film is) the terrible back projection at the end of From Russia pushes the limits of acceptability.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 1,497
    I don't really have ONE i have lots

*DAF: "Bombay Surprise?" at what stage between Lazenby and Connery did bond become an idiot?

Bond is hardly an idiot, he smells the "rat" and calls him out on the claret
    I totally agree with @PrinceKamalKahn - TMWTGG's ending is not only the best Moore ending, but the the best ending of the entire franchise.

I'm suprised no one mentionned FRWL ? Connery's corny waving at the camera, and obvious back-projection is just horrible.
    Dated special effects don't make me squirm; in fact they charm me. I do enjoy that scene with FRWL theme playing over--quite beautiful in fact.

DAD without question wins this category, with FYEO a distant second