US Election - November 6

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    We need a real set of Avengers and SHEILD organization. that would solve the anarchy.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,745
    And the ones who just inherited it? They should just get to keep their money because they laid around and waited for their parents to die? I'm not saying they don't have a right to their money, but does that mean that I don't have the right to mine, even though I also earn my money?

Yes. It's theirs. Their parents worked hard to ensure a prosperous future for the children by saving them money. No dispute, no one but them can touch it. No one but them has the natural right to that money, except their dead parents.. who are convienently dead.
    I'm not saying we should go Robin Hood, but why is right for the rich to horde it all and the poor to suffer just because the rich are the rich?

First of all, the 'rich' are not some elite group, where everyone with over 300k are automatically issued into some secret club. They're people. People who have either worked hard to save up and earn that money, or people who inherited it from hard working relatives. They're not hording, they're earning. There will never be a point where the rich have all the money and everyone else doesn't. Why are you making these people out to be villains? What have they done wrong? They've committed no crime. They played the system, and it worked out in their favor. That's life. You can't change that some people end up at the good end of the spectrum, and some at the bad. Taking from the rich is not helping the poor. Motivating the rich to donate, or motivating people to create jobs, or motivating people to donate, or motivating people to find work will help the poor. Working together, not casting out enemies.

[/quote]
    So, you are saying that only the rich deserve anything, huh? That's the problem with Republicans, they want some sort of money monarchy, where the rich rule and the poor do their bidding just to live.

Don't put words in my mouth.

The rich deserve the money they've earned, and no one else deserves to take that from them. I have no interest in government being ruled by the wealthy, but when a country's people take no interest in researching politics, people have to spend money to advertise and campaign, and thus only the rich can run. I've never said that's a good thing.

I do believe in equal opportunity, and encouraging the rich to help grow the economy, and grow jobs, and encouraging the poor to take those jobs so that they are no longer poor. I don't believe in distributing wealth based on pre-determined credentials.

I know the common belief is that equal opportunity is a joke. I know the education system is painfully flawed, and it's hard for people to start out without a secure financial background. But it doesn't make it impossible, and I sure as hell will never believe in telling the poor that they can give up, and that other people will lose personal property so they can give up.

So the problem with Obama care is some rich people have been making money of health care?

It does seem a bit unfair but wouldn't free health care work better in the long run?

How is it free if it's at the cost of the wealthy?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm not saying we should go Robin Hood, but why is right for the rich to horde it all and the poor to suffer just because the rich are the rich?

This is a holdover from the past. Know why a class on stitching wounds costs more than a class on installing transmissions?

Heheh, me either.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    And the ones who just inherited it? They should just get to keep their money because they laid around and waited for their parents to die? I'm not saying they don't have a right to their money, but does that mean that I don't have the right to mine, even though I also earn my money?

Yes. It's theirs. Their parents worked hard to ensure a prosperous future for the children by saving them money. No dispute, no one but them can touch it. No one but them has the natural right to that money, except their dead parents.. who are convienently dead.

So, if everybody who either earns or inherits their money deserves it why is the rich shouldn't have to spend it, but the middle-class should? I want all classes to pay for what they want, but I want those who can to help those who can't, maybe just as a gesture of good f*cking will.

First of all, the 'rich' are not some elite group, where everyone with over 300k are automatically issued into some secret club. They're people. People who have either worked hard to save up and earn that money, or people who inherited it from hard working relatives. They're not hording, they're earning. There will never be a point where the rich have all the money and everyone else doesn't. Why are you making these people out to be villains? What have they done wrong? They've committed no crime. They played the system, and it worked out in their favor. That's life. You can't change that some people end up at the good end of the spectrum, and some at the bad. Taking from the rich is not helping the poor. Motivating the rich to donate, or motivating people to create jobs, or motivating people to donate, or motivating people to find work will help the poor. Working together, not casting out enemies. [/quote]

Right, the rich aren't an elite group, that's why they look down upon those who aren't rich.

And, oh yeah, they're not hording - that's why their money's overseas! They shouldn't have to pay taxes just because they how to send their money to the Cayman Islands?

No, I can't change that people end up on different ends of the spectrum, it's the blind adherence to the spectrum that needs to change for our society to grow.

Oh, and "what have they done wrong"? Donald Trump is an ***hole.

[/quote]
    So, you are saying that only the rich deserve anything, huh? That's the problem with Republicans, they want some sort of money monarchy, where the rich rule and the poor do their bidding just to live.

Don't put words in my mouth.

The rich deserve the money they've earned, and no one else deserves to take that from them. I have no interest in government being ruled by the wealthy, but when a country's people take no interest in researching politics, people have to spend money to advertise and campaign, and thus only the rich can run. I've never said that's a good thing. [/quote]

Even if you've never said that it's a good thing, you seem to be supporting it.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I do believe in equal opportunity, and encouraging the rich to help grow the economy, and grow jobs, and encouraging the poor to take those jobs so that they are no longer poor. I don't believe in distributing wealth based on pre-determined credentials.

Except that the rich helping the poor is distributing wealth based on predetermined credentials. The rich would be helping the poor because they are the poor, both being predetermined by the rich either working for their money or lazily sitting around waiting for their folks to die and the poor either being down on their luck or born in an alleyway (or other such circumstances)

I'm still not understanding the whole acceptance of lazily sitting around waiting for their folks to die thing. If the money is deserved simply because someone earned it, does that make it okay to keep the money from the purse you stole on the subway? After all, that lady earned it.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I know the common belief is that equal opportunity is a joke. I know the education system is painfully flawed, and it's hard for people to start out without a secure financial background. But it doesn't make it impossible, and I sure as hell will never believe in telling the poor that they can give up, and that other people will lose personal property so they can give up.

Who's telling the poor to give up? And what, exactly, is wrong with the rich simply giving a helping hand?

(On an unrelated note: what exactly is wrong with our education system? I personally just feel cheated that my high school didn't actually get the money for the things they wanted until the school year after my class left, it kind of felt like they just waiting for us to go.)

Equal opportunity isn't a joke, it's just that the rich don't want it.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    So the problem with Obama care is some rich people have been making money of health care?

It does seem a bit unfair but wouldn't free health care work better in the long run?

Lower classes are never going to be able to better themselves if rich people are just saying "f*ck off it's my money" at every corner.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Lower classes are never going to be able to better themselves if rich people are just saying "f*ck off it's my money" at every corner.

How can you expect them to be nice when your threatening to steal their money.

As a conservative, it's controversial for me to say.. but I would support higher taxes on the wealthy.. in what they spend their money on. So a house priced over $600K would pay slightly more than houses under it, etc. They buy a $100K car, slightly higher taxes deducted. But I will never expect to them to hand over their money while it's being threatened to be taken.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

How can you expect them to be nice when your threatening to steal their money.

We wouldn't have to threaten to steal it, if they just agreed to help willingly.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

That would be in the restructuring of the system. Going to med school shouldn't cost what it does, but in times past they could charge anything. Now those costs will have to come down or we'll have fewer doctors AND fewer med schools. Malpractice insurance has to come down as well, and laws limiting how a doctor can be sued have to be put in place. This whole idea of cashing in because you chose to be a doctor or lawyer instead of a fireman has to be put out of our misery. Work is work. Knowledge isn't concentrated any more, so wealth needs to play catch up. Hard work should be paid for well- easy stuff not as much, and as long as the corporate heads can sit around going "Uh, yeah, do that" (while others actually do the WORK) & get paid more than all the workers under them combined, the closer the entire system comes to collapsing in on itself (our recent depression is just a small taste of what will happen if we choose not to restructure how wealth is earned).

In short, Let the wealthy keep what they earn, just make earning REALLY earning it, not simply overcharging individuals or systems to get the brass ring.
    Tell me. What seems to make you people think your entitled to, essentially, someone else's property.

I can not walk into your house, and demand you give me the leftovers in the fridge. It's leftover. It's an abundance. You've already eaten. Now it's my turn. That's fair.
    No, it isn't.

You simply can not expect someone to do something with their money because you want them to. And you can't force them to. And that's how it is. That can't, won't, and should not change because everybody in America is entitled to do what they want (legally) with what they have.

No one should expect anything else. People will make their own conscious decisions, and it will have repercussions, good or bad.

Yes, yes it would be nice if they donated some relief to the poor, but nobody should expect them to. And there sure as hell should never be a law that takes away personal property from an American individual.. for any reason.

If they don't give you their money, too bad. You are not entitled to someone else's money, property, or success.

Your simply responsible for making your own ends meet. I understand sometimes that is not possible. And that is unfortunate. But we have welfare programs, as well as many other charities and foundations dedicated to helping people get back on their feet. And many wealthy individuals pay into these programs. But the great thing is, nobody has to. (Except welfare. Tax payers pay that.)
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I would support higher taxes on the wealthy.. in what they spend their money on.
    That's very progressive!
    I actually would like sales tax ONLY. No loopholes, no IRS... just a tax on stuff that isn't food. A poor person buys a Hyundai, a rich person buys a Learjet- both get taxed at the same rate. Economic equilibrium.

edited November 2012 Posts: 17,687
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

You simply can not expect someone to do something with their money because you want them to.
    Yeah, I'm having trouble with that concept as well. I just don't like when folks rig the system to give them a stranglehold on the flow of money, that's a kind of legal theft IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I would support higher taxes on the wealthy.. in what they spend their money on.
    That's very progressive!
    I actually would like sales tax ONLY. No loopholes, no IRS... just a tax on stuff that isn't food. A poor person buys a Hyundai, a rich person buys a Learjet- both get taxed at the same rate. Economic equilibrium.

That's how income taxes are! But alot of people seem to have a problem with that.

20% tax on your 50,000 seems alot. 10,000.
    But 20% tax on someone's 5,000,000 is 1,000,000! Far more.
    That is fair, and I think the rich pay their fare share!

(Income tax is not 20%, just used it for example).

I would honestly love a fair tax system. All Americans above poverty level pay a small amount a month to help those in poverty, and a small percentage of tax is added, at a flat rate (the same % for everything you buy) on all items.

So I pay 3% tax to the government on a bag of chips, 3% tax to the government on a BMW. No income, etc. complicated taxes, no confusing tax forms. Straight, simple funding of the government. Plus, the impoverished are fairly aided, while keeping a fair system across all levels of society.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

That's how income taxes are! But alot of people seem to have a problem with that.
    Well, not really because of deductions & stuff. Some companies can have so many deductions they end up getting reimbursed for losses & actually make a profit THAT way (not typical, but it does happen).
    Sales tax is something you wouldn't use a lawyer for; want the item? Pay the tax.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Plus, the impoverished are fairly aided, while keeping a fair system across all levels of society.
    This is where I'd say a healthcare system like the UK's comes in... in America, we all pay for roads (most of which we'll never drive on) and that's okay, but if we all paid for health care (most of which we'll probably one day need) that's suddenly Communist or something. I don't get when people go there...
    chrisisall wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Plus, the impoverished are fairly aided, while keeping a fair system across all levels of society.
    This is where I'd say a healthcare system like the UK's comes in... in America, we all pay for roads (most of which we'll never drive on) and that's okay, but if we all paid for health care (most of which we'll probably one day need) that's suddenly Communist or something. I don't get when people go there...

You said that already.
    It is just that I would be more willing to have part of my taxes go into a program designed to ONLY help those who need it.

Otherwise I find the current system, for people who can still afford it, to be fine. I'd like to have the choice between government healthcare and private healthcare.

Why doesn't the government create a 'company' that receives government funding to help those who need the help, but can also be a payed service by those who don't need help as an alternative to other healthcare companies.

Why do we have to overhaul the entire system?
    You could even call it ObamaCorp, give him the credit.

Oh wait, he can't get credit. He's too far in debt. #burn

Sorry. I'll be serious again.
    You said that already.
    You ARE paying attention!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Healthcare is big business over here because God forbid we actually need to go to the hospital, our biggest fear is that the damn doctors can't afford their damn country clubs, socializing it would make a lot of people a lot less money - Obamacare is already making a dent is some rich folks bank accounts and, oh Lord, they can't afford to give up any money. It's not about losing profit- it's about losing insane levels of profit. Are you one of the rich people who can actually afford healthcare? You're acting like you're one of the people who's losing the profits.

Why should we take money for them to help people less fortunate. How is that fair? They made their way through college and got their jobs and made their money. Earned their money. Overpriced or not we pay it, so it's their's.

Who has the right to take that from them? I understand that some people are less fortunate, no, alot of people are less fortunate, but you can't justify robin hood tactics in a democracy.

Who the hell gives anyone the right to take from me and give to someone else. How about you encourage charities, or hell, just add a tax on doctor's offices that goes straight to funding a program for only those less fortunate. Don't overhaul the whole damn system and force me into something that will cost me control over my life, literally.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Why do we have to overhaul the entire system?
    Because times are changing!
    Look, how many people you know make north of 1 mill per year? So building luxury housing only affordable to that income or higher in the millions of units wouldn't make sense, right?
    Well, median income all over is going down, and when you've got a whole population where each household is making $20,000 per year EVERYTHING else has to freeze or come down in price or IT JUST WON'T SELL. This is the change I'm talking about. The icky idea that while good profit isn't as desirable as FANTASTIC profit, it's better than no profit.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    OK so what gives the right for the Government to tell me that I will be forced to purchase health insurance, otherwise I will be penalized? Does that make sense to any of you...seriously??

It sure as hell does not to me.
    No, that's bollocks IMO.
    I have an honest Question. What would Romney have done better? (We All know what he was planning to do with Gay Marriage and Womans Rights.) But I want to know what he would have done.
    Murdock wrote:
    I have an honest Question. What would Romney have done better? (We All know what he was planning to do with Gay Marriage and Womans Rights.) But I want to know what he would have done.

1. Romney expressed his personal beliefs about the treatment of abortion, and ultimately of women. But, he clearly expressed they were his personal views. He is smart enough to know he couldn't get any legislation through dealing with his strong views on the subject.

2. He would have done away with 'Obamacare' and likely sought an alternate program/system.

3. If gay marriage passes from state to state, like it has surprisingly in this year's elections, Romney, and the Republicans, would be pressured but ultimately, there is hardly anything they could do that wouldn't be political suicide.

So a simpler answer..

Romney wouldn't have done anything about gay marriage and anything about abortion or the treatment of the 'female body'. Nothing. He would have repealed 'Obamacare'. He would have made as many budget cuts he could get away with, and likely would have submitted a proposal to balance the budget for the first time in decades.

He would have been a luke-warm president, and I didn't see him do anything major internationally unless pressured. He pushed for the US to leave Israel and Iran to sort things out themselves, and he would have focused on fiscal responsibility and domestic issues.

Better.. we'll never know.. but definitely different.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

He pushed for the US to leave Israel and Iran to sort things out themselves, and he would have focused on fiscal responsibility and domestic issues.
    Not a bit of it- he SAID Iran would not be allowed to pursue it's course, which can only mean war. Obama stressed not taking that route.
    You see him as markedly less hawkish than I do, it seems.
    I'm tired of this junk about Romney being some kind of "war-monger". How does wanting to protect our great nation from an evil power like Iran qualify as being "hungry for war"? First off, it shows American spirit to not allow a hostile country like Iran to pull our strings. This country could have prospered from Romney's patriotic, go get 'em attitude. It's how we get things done and make our enemies afraid, and secures safety for our nation. Right now? Hah, enemy nations see our country weakened from our pansy president. I'm surprised they haven't walked right into our borders and taken us down already. Goodness knows there'd be no resistance, I mean Obama wouldn't have a clue what to do. He's had no experience in real times of crisis.
    Thanks Beast, you've made my point for me in ways you might not be aware. :)>-
    chrisisall wrote:
    Thanks Beast, you've made my point for me in ways you might not be aware. :)>-

I suppose I should say you're welcome, but I detect underlying motives, so perhaps I should not. Benefits of being the Republican Romney supporter, right? Everyone loves to find a way to twist and turn your statement to fit their needs. Ehhhh....
    00Beast wrote:
    Right now? Hah, enemy nations see our country weakened from our pansy president.

1348082055.jpg
    I don't see a "Pansy" Here. ;)