The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Just watched TLD and LTK yesterday and dang it, they are sooooo good! Amazing performance from Dalts, gritty, well done action scenes, a deeper story than a lot of people might remember, very Flemingesque frm start to finish... man, he shoulda got another film. I would drop all four Brosnan films to get one more from Dalts. In a heartbeat.

And both BDs are fantastic transfers with great special features.

It's a bitch in the UK to buy the Bonds individually on BD. You have to buy the boxset, whilst I want to only buy about another 5 Bonds. I have 4 on BD already.

And Dalton's are a necessity.

They do hold up well and they are the end of an era when it comes to the Cubby produced films. Not to mention the last ever Maurice Binder titles which have not been equalled.

Though his daughter Barbara has done a superb job in guiding Bond. And she did learn by being on set with her father, so I have all the respect for her in the world!

Two great reviews for Licence to Kill that I found last night. I'm happy they are by two young Bond fans who upon discovering the films think Dalton is a super great Bond :D

Regan wrote:
    Two great reviews for Licence to Kill that I found last night. I'm happy they are by two young Bond fans who upon discovering the films think Dalton is a super great Bond :D

Hello @Regan Wow. I was just about to post them to show Dalton detractors that these young fans are spontaneously saying how great Dalton was.

Hey, the one who says Dalton looks like a mobster and should have been in Scarface underlines my point that his Bond was very tough. If I had not liked Dalton, I would have not liked Craig either. I always respect any actor who wants to do a serious take of a character.

And people should stop comparing Dalton unfavourably to Craig. They are Bonds for different times. Dalton suited Sanchez better than any other Bond!

But Dalton was way ahead of his time. LTK is a rich film if you watch it properly and very Fleming like. The real Bond is not a happy go lucky type of man and very haunted on the inside.

LOL beat you to it then ;). Thanks for your Davi post by the way. I'll be sure to check it out when I get home. I'm at the office right now.

I was elated when I found these reviews because they are from very young Bond fans that have a chance to give Dalton the opportunity he deserves and love his films and his portrayal. It just goes to show how ahead of his time, and how powerful his performance was. He deserves all the praise.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Those kids rock. Bond historians in the making.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Those kids rock. Bond historians in the making.

Yes! They are so young and so enthusiastic and look at things with a fresh perspective. These kids are cool. :)>-
    Regan wrote:
    LOL beat you to it then ;). Thanks for your Davi post by the way. I'll be sure to check it out when I get home. I'm at the office right now.

I was elated when I found these reviews because they are from very young Bond fans that have a chance to give Dalton the opportunity he deserves and love his films and his portrayal. It just goes to show how ahead of his time, and how powerful his performance was. He deserves all the praise.

Hey, thank you @Regan You are bang on. Those who think Dalton was not Bond, may as well say that the Bond in the books is not Bond either:)

By the way, I have seen many fans who bought the Blu Ray Boxset Bond 50 sing Dalton's praises and how he holds up as a high calibre Bond.

acoppola wrote:
    Regan wrote:

Hey, thank you @Regan You are bang on. Those who think Dalton was not Bond, may as well say that the Bond in the books is not Bond either:)

By the way, I have seen many fans who bought the Blu Ray Boxset Bond 50 sing Dalton's praises and how he holds up as a high calibre Bond.

I am pining for that Blu Ray Boxset and I'll get my eager little hands on it as soon as I can. I am thinking about making it my Christmas present wish. I have also found a few reviews online for it, specifically Dalton's films. People are re-discovering the films thanks to it and I can only be more than glad for it!
    Regan wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    Regan wrote:

I am pining for that Blu Ray Boxset and I'll get my eager little hands on it as soon as I can. I am thinking about making it my Christmas present wish. I have also found a few reviews online for it, specifically Dalton's films. People are re-discovering the films thanks to it and I can only be more than glad for it!

Yeah, I have the Daltons on DVD. But need to get them on Blu. And here is another unpolluted youngster singing the Dalton's praises
    That's the same kid in one of my licence to kill reviews, the one that said Dalton could have starred in Scarface based on that cover pic. A great review nonetheless. He clearly has good taste ;).
    Regan wrote:
    That's the same kid in one of my licence to kill reviews, the one that said Dalton could have starred in Scarface based on that cover pic. A great review nonetheless. He clearly has good taste ;).

Wow, you are right ;)

That kid has plenty of intelligence and clearly will do well in life as he thinks for himself!

Here is another balanced review. This guy knows his sh*t!

• edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Ah, a haven of sanity as the storm rages outside.

I think in the fullness of time the DC era will receive the recognition it deserves, but I very much doubt that CR and QoS (good as they are) will be seen as comparable to the Connery era, in either quality or cultural impact. Of course in my view the Moore and Dalton era are also superior to the current phase, but I do appreciate that DC is a decent Bond. Just hoping Logan comes up with a better plot for the next one.

One thing I loved about SF was seeing M's old office for the first time since the Dalton era. I took stick on this site for asking for that to be restored but thank god they've done it. Really really hope it returns next time as well.

The DC era has something of the Dance of the Seven Veils about it. Each film promises to be the real deal but ends suggesting that Bond actually will only really return next time.
    Getafix wrote:
    Ah, a haven of sanity as the storm rages outside.

I think in the fullness of time the DC era will receive the recognition it deserves, but I very much doubt that CR and QoS (good as they are) will be seen as comparable to the Connery era, in either quality or cultural impact. Of course in my view the Moore and Dalton era are also superior to the current phase, but I do appreciate that DC is a decent Bond. Just hoping Logan comes up with a better plot for the next one.

One thing I loved about SF was seeing M's old office for the first time since the Dalton era. I took stick on this site for asking for that to be restored but thank god they've done it. Really really hope it returns next time as well.

The DC era has something of the Dance of the Seven Veils about it. Each film promises to be the real deal but ends suggesting that Bond actually will only really return next time.

Interesting. The DC era to me is a stand alone Bond franchise. You cannot replicate or bring back the old Bond of the 60's. You would have to set it in that era and culture for it to work the same. Yet they always harp on how they want to go back to that style and you can't.

The new Bond films though very well made, rarely remind me of the past Bond in terms of look or presentation. I am taking the modern aspects out the equation for the last sentence. The new is an altogether different approach and style.

Past Bond had a different atmosphere and feel. They could be dark, but the sense of fun was better too! They were less self-conscious or analytical of themselves.

And Bond did evolve a lot between '62-'89. They did keep up with modern film making styles and adapted quickly.

A lot of films have one liners now, so that alone does not make it Bond.

Also old Bond employed the crew that worked on most of the films. New Bond brings in a lot of outside people and just as you get used to the style in one film, it changes again in the next. Sometimes using the same director for two films in a row is a good thing.

All very true. The lack of continuity in writers, directors, production design and score has played havoc since 1989. I do feel we are gradually getting back on an even keel though. I just really want to see them nail it. QoS came closest post-Dalton IMO. SF feels like a shot off target to me and a step back from where CR had got us. Reminds me of the Brosnan tick box era.
    Getafix wrote:
    All very true. The lack of continuity in writers, directors, production design and score has played havoc since 1989. I do feel we are gradually getting back on an even keel though. I just really want to see them nail it. QoS came closest post-Dalton IMO. SF feels like a shot off target to me and a step back from where CR had got us. Reminds me of the Brosnan tick box era.

QOS is not as bad as some make out. In some ways, I think Craig is better in it than his first.

You are right on with the lack of continuity in the series. And there is way too much emphasis on the tick box of what Bond should be.

I am due to see Skyfall next week once the crowds die down. I prefer to watch films in an emptier theatre with no people texting on their mobiles and spoiling my enjoyment.

I am still not enthusiastic about the new Q no matter what anyone says. The whole point of Q and why he was so entertaining is his seniority to Bond. That is the charm of the generation gap and so much a part of Bond mythology.

To someone who knows little of Bond, they will not bat an eyelid and it will seem normal. But I have had so many films with the character that it will take getting used to.

On one hand they talk about Bond being Bond, but on the other, they are apologetic for how he once was and there is too much introspection and deconstruction of the character. Keep him mysterious. I don't need to know if he enjoyed his first day in primary school.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    Each film promises to be the real deal but ends suggesting that Bond actually will only really return next time.

You have a point there. I like CR and loved SF but I really hate this whole reboot idea. Luckily it seems to be over now though.

End of CR: Bond, James Bond followed by Bond theme. Origin story ove-

QOS: Ok, looks like he's still becoming Bond. But look, there's the gunbarrel and he's over Vesper, Bond is finally reboote-

SF:
    Ok now he has to go through some more stuff about his childhood, etc. But look at the end, Q, M with his old office and Moneypenny!!!
    Getafix wrote:
    The lack of continuity in writers, directors, production design and score has played havoc since 1989.
    Really, LTK was the absolute end of the original Bond movies for me (and a high note it ended on!).
    GE through DAD was a transitional period: new Bond, new M, new directors, new musicians, same writers.
    CR is modern Bond: everything but M is new.
  • @chrisall You're right. Brosnans films and Craig films have sort of stood out as their own eras. 62-89 was the age of the original Bond.

BTW, not bashing Brosnan or Craigs films, I still like them.
    @chrisall You're right. Brosnans films and Craig films have sort of stood out as their own eras. 62-89 was the age of the original Bond.

BTW, not bashing Brosnan or Craigs films, I still like them.

Yes, after '89 the film studio had different ideas for how Bond would move forward and it contributed to why we had no films until '95. The original continuity era ended in '89.

acoppola wrote:
    The original continuity era ended in '89.
    And ya know, that's not at all a bad thing. It defines the classic era & lets loose the new stuff necessary to keep Bond fresh & alive in the new century!
    :)>-
    chrisisall wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    And ya know, that's not at all a bad thing. It defines the classic era & lets loose the new stuff necessary to keep Bond fresh & alive in the new century!

I do understand and appreciate that Bond needs to adapt to a new world. But I do wish that Dalton had done three or four films by 1993. And those who like Brosnan would have had their films with him anyway.

Dalton's tenure ending way too prematurely is as bad as if Craig finished after QOS. And the studio almost did that in 2010 when they at the time cancelled Bond indefinitely.

Dalton too had a lot to offer the franchise and who knows what kind of shadings he would have brought to Bond. Cubby speaks highly of Dalton in his book and respects the hard work he did in researching the character in forensic detail.

Dalton did not play all his aces for the Bond character as he assumed there would be a third film to show that off. But I think he would have surprised everyone. He is a damn good actor and is finally getting the attention he deserves.

A film like DAD would never had got off the ground with a Dalton/Craig actor. They both are smart enough to know there is a fine line when it comes to the character's integrity.

chrisisall wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

I do understand and appreciate that Bond needs to adapt to a new world. But I do wish that Dalton had done three or four films by 1993. And those who like Brosnan would have had their films with him anyway.

Dalton's tenure ending way too prematurely is as bad as if Craig finished after QOS. And the studio almost did that in 2010 when they at the time cancelled Bond indefinitely.

Dalton too had a lot to offer the franchise and who knows what kind of shadings he would have brought to Bond. Cubby speaks highly of Dalton in his book and respects the hard work he did in researching the character in forensic detail.

Dalton did not play all his aces for the Bond character as he assumed there would be a third film to show that off. But I think he would have surprised everyone. He is a damn good actor and is finally getting the attention he deserves.

A film like DAD would never had got off the ground with a Dalton/Craig actor. They both are smart enough to know there is a fine line when it comes to the character's integrity.

In the end, the further Bond moves away from his Fleming roots, the worse he becomes and the more one dimensional he is. You would be amazed how many morons think James Bond is no more than a ladies man and that's about it. They miss the point of why he is attractive to the opposite sex. It is his character and mystery as well as what he stands for.

acoppola wrote:
    Dalton did not play all his aces for the Bond character as he assumed there would be a third film to show that off. But I think he would have surprised everyone.
    A lot of 'what ifs' have been posed, but the ONE GRAND one I'm SO sad for is Dalton not getting GE (or another third film) in '91, '92 or '93. Brosnan (whom I adore) could STILL have taken over for his run... and we would have had a perfect three from whom I consider the best actor to play Bond!
    Was speaking to someone on the train this morning, talking about Skyfall, found out I was talking to a Dalton fan, some big love for TLD and LTK and a shared appreciation for Carey Lowell!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 173
    GQ.COM

Timothy Dalton: the Best.Bond.Ever
    http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2012-11/08/timothy-dalton-the-best-james-bond-007

Can somebody tell why I am grinning so wide right now?
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,687
    Wow. That's one of, if not THE best article on Tim's Bond I have ever read! Thanks!!!
  • Regan wrote:
    GQ.COM

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2012-11/08/timothy-dalton-the-best-james-bond-007

@BAIN123 Only posh papers praise Dalton eh? ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    "Yet Dalton's portrait, just like Fleming's, was that of a man who is not finding his humanity, but losing it."

Nicely summed up in 1 sentance.
    Regan wrote:
    GQ.COM

Hot Diddly Damn! That is a fine piece of journalism and in one of the hippest men's magazines in the world!:) Thank you @Regan for this!

And the editor of that magazine, Dylan Jones always sang Dalton's praises for bringing the Bond of the books alive.

No doubt this article will upset some people who think Dalton acted too hammy in LTK, not realising that he was simply showing Bond falling apart and then pulling himself together.

Apparently the November issue will have separate covers of all the Bonds. Guess which version I am going to buy? :-* :-* :-*

It is happening in our lifetimes and these articles are not one off's. Dalton's Bond is the kind of man you want working for your country especially in today's world!
    "Yet Dalton's portrait, just like Fleming's, was that of a man who is not finding his humanity, but losing it."

Nicely summed up in 1 sentance.

I completely agree. Brilliant assessment of Dalton's Bond.

@acoppola, @chrisisall, you are both welcome! ... amazingly well crafted piece and so right on every level.