Second viewing

edited November 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 1,314
Saw SF again last night at the Waterloo IMAX in London. It definitely feels better second time around, and zips by considering its 2.5 hours long.

The first 35 mins ir so are exhilerating, However I could feel my excitement ebbing away during the Shanghai sequence again.

The good scenes (Q, pre titles, anything with Bardem, all of Macau) still feel great, but the Shanghai scene drags on, as does the build up to the climax. And a more Fleming-esque death scene for Bardem would've been good.

On paper it should be top 3 but the film seems less than the sum of its parts. I can't put my finger on why, maybe the climax is too improbable.

I hope we get some references to Bond the snob in the next one. I love the food/drink ordering scenes in the books / earlier films.

I also hope they ramp up the fun next time out.

7/10

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I think you could add your comment in the fan review thread, no need to open another one.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    A more Fleming-esque death scene....

*Sigh*
    Why the sigh. Flemingian? Fleming-like? I just thought one last character quip would've been better.
  • Actually I loved the way (I put it in spoilers just in case)
    Bond kills Silva. He finally throws a knife again. If that isn't fleming-esque...what is? Bond is said to be an excellent knife thrower and it's used so little in the movies that I really had a smile on my face. Same reason why I love the scene with Moore in Venice :-)
    Yes maybe I'm nit picking but I just thought the dialogue between the two was up there with the best, particularly the scene where the villain is introduced. A little aside or last bit of banter might have made it that little bit more stand out.
    I will watch SF for the 2nd time when it is released on dvd/bluray next year.

I must honestly admit that perhaps DC's version of 007 is perhaps wasted on me, even if I consider it a large step up from QoB. Not sure if I do not like CR better.

There was something that disturbed me about SF that was before boys and men wanted to be 007, but I would not like to be this f**ked up person that even looks less than Flemings creation as before.
    But Looking at DC's version he would have been great in Flemings YOLT & subsequent TMWTGG, because he likes to play 007 as damaged goods. IMHO
    Actually I loved the way (I put it in spoilers just in case)
    Bond kills Silva. He finally throws a knife again. If that isn't fleming-esque...what is? Bond is said to be an excellent knife thrower and it's used so little in the movies that I really had a smile on my face. Same reason why I love the scene with Moore in Venice :-)

Agreed, and also on OHMSS.
    Matt007 wrote:
    Yes maybe I'm nit picking but I just thought the dialogue between the two was up there with the best, particularly the scene where the villain is introduced. A little aside or last bit of banter might have made it that little bit more stand out.

I think at that point all Bond was interested in was killing him so for me it made sense. I think the face Silva makes after being hit is priceless, though.
    Yes that "for F*cks sake" look was priceless.
  • I also like how his hatred suddenly turns to Bond.
    Him being hurt in his vanity and realising that Bond in the end is better than him and using his last power to approach him.
  • But the two rats analogy doesn't quite work, sounds like it might be from another film. Because there aren't any other 00s on the case at all getting offed along the way. So there seem to be only two rats to start with.

Likewise Severine's whole build up into this horrible person and the power he wields. We have to take her word for it. I mean, it's a bit like Renard all over again (another TWINE throw back). Tell us how awesome he is, cos we don't get much chance to see it.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    But the two rats analogy doesn't quite work, sounds like it might be from another film. Because there aren't any other 00s on the case at all getting offed along the way. So there seem to be only two rats to start with.

Likewise Severine's whole build up into this horrible person and the power he wields. We have to take her word for it. I mean, it's a bit like Renard all over again (another TWINE throw back). Tell us how awesome he is, cos we don't get much chance to see it.

Why did there have be to other 00's around?

I don't mind seeing them in the future, but I don't see the point of them here.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 4,012
    I think we see plenty of his crazy persona, his danger comes from the fact that he is deranged and apparently unpredictable. In my opinion villains shouldn't be overused, otherwise you get used to them.

The two rats analogy doesn't have to do with 00s. At most it had to do with favourite agents. In Silva's mind Bond and him were competing for M, Silva wanted her but wanted at the same time to show her how great he was and how she shouldn't have betrayed him.
    I don't think some people here can enjoy any movie.

My God, such nitpicking and overanalyzing, it's worse than with TDKR.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2012 Posts: 10,512
    Sandy wrote:
    I
    The two rats analogy doesn't have to do with 00s. At most it had to do with favourite agents. In Silva's mind Bond and him were competing for M, Silva wanted her but wanted at the same time to show her how great he was and how she shouldn't have betrayed him.

Yeah I agree. It doesn't infer he's a double-0. In fact, if he was an agent working for her while she was stationed in HK it would signify he certainly wasn't. It definitely refers to a complex that Silva has built up in his own mind, perpetuated by the fact 'M' has sent 007 for him despite not passing his medicals.

I think the two rats analogy was refering to the ambiguity of being right or wrong and the line blurs depending on which side of the glass you are. Bond is chasing the villains (rats) picking them off one by one. Silva is effectively chasing the good guys (rats) and doing the same. At the end of it, between them they are ridding the world of spies. But who is right and who is wrong? This is what I took from it.
This discussion has been closed.