James Bond Build-a-DB5 partworks

2»

Comments

• ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Royster wrote:
    Anybody else having serious problems fitting the front end ? Seems to screw in on one side then you realise that the other side is pressing against the windscreen and pushing it out of position.

I'm picturing Roger Moore saying that to Q.
  • Subscribed from issue 1.Had same problem with pedal. box wires.24 minute wait on phone told to call back in 2 weeks for replacement part as out of stock.What I have built so far looks pretty awesome.
  • All was going great until fitting the front end assembly with doors attached, it simply doesn't match up to both sides leaving irregular panel gaps & shut lines which prevent front windscreen & rear quarter panel glass from staying in place. May be that the front panel moulding is flawed by design or mine is a one-off but prevents completion of the model at this late stage which is disappointing after the many months spent collecting components. Its otherwise an impressively finished model with great detail for any enthusiast who appreciates the DB5.
    I saw a built up one on sale at ebay for $1500 aud.
    001 wrote:

I have still not seen the finished article yet on here?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    001 wrote:

Can't see it on ebay anymore,maybe he sold it?

001 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    001 wrote:

Can't see it on ebay anymore,maybe he sold it?

Just wondering if any of our fellow members have completed their model yet? If they have? Post a pic of themselves with the work of art! :D [-O<
    Here's one built and sold on ebay.
    2 feet in length and weighs in at nearly 20 pounds
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/James-bond-1-8-Aston-Martin-/160874929560?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item2574e49d98

Winning bid: GBP 700.00 Approximately AU $1,107.16
    001 wrote:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/James-bond-1-8-Aston-Martin-/160874929560?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item2574e49d98

Thanks for posting! That is a fantastic finished article! :-bd Much respect to all of you who have had the time and patience to build this! =D>
  • 001 wrote:

Wow I didn't realise it was that large. I bet its satisfying to build.
  • Subscribed to this the moment it came out. Built the sub-project parts week-by-week over 85 issues and was left rather crushed by the end result. Mismatched paint work, gaps in the body where the screws aren't up to the job, quarterlights and windscreens that pop out of their own accord, faulty electrics. It was a bit of a disappointment. And unfortunately, I wasn't alone, with the Facebook group heaving with frustrated builders, screaming "Watchdog" "Trading Standards" and all that stuff.

The publishers have offered to fix all the faults if I send the model in, which I have, and I can only hope they fix it all up to the standards they promised all those week's ago. It's not a disaster. It's quite good, if I'm being honest, with the engine purring when the key is inserted and the parts looking mostly good. But it's not great. And for £600, you at least want great, if not drop dead fricking gorgeous.
  • I built this and did't have a problem. All parts arrived and fitted together well. Understand that a few have issues ongoing (have a look at the facebook page).

Fantastic model and really heavy. Love the working effects as well.

Hoping they will release the Lotus Submarine!
    SHENNO HAVE BUILT CAR BUT NOT SURE WHAT TO PRESS TO GET HEADLIGHTS TO WORK EVERYTHING ELSE FINE THANKS
  • Sorry to hear about tat MDCarterUK. Really disappointing given the money you've invested. Fingers crossed that they sort it out for you.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    So who didn't see this expensive CF coming a mile off?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Cluster F... I would think.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2013 Posts: 4,416
    From now on also in The Netherlands, i saw the tv spot 30+/- minutes a go.
    Number 1 going to cost € 1,99.

A litle bit search discover the tv spot already be online too since 3 January 2013.

Website http://007db5.nl/ This website said number 2 going to cost € 5,99 and the rest 83x 11,99. Keep in mind the Car Collection since 120 cost € 1,00 more for every magazine, means € 15,00 extra (120-134 / 15x 1,00) and first there said that it going to be 60 numbers.

This magazine will also avaible at AKO. The Car collection only avaible at Bruna and Premivera, but this last one asking 0,30 extra if you whant to pay it with your bank card.

I wil not start with this, but people who wil it mean there must spend € 16,00 this week and over 2 weeks € 26,00 and in between € 11,99 because this is a weakly magazine. You must visit the store every Thursday and get it before the Wednesday. 2 times a month for me is already enough and less risk that i mis a number and with a weakly magazine it also mean you can't go on 2 weeks vacation if you whant to buy the magazine your self.
  • Caterham_7 wrote:
    All was going great until fitting the front end assembly with doors attached, it simply doesn't match up to both sides leaving irregular panel gaps & shut lines which prevent front windscreen & rear quarter panel glass from staying in place. May be that the front panel moulding is flawed by design or mine is a one-off but prevents completion of the model at this late stage which is disappointing after the many months spent collecting components. Its otherwise an impressively finished model with great detail for any enthusiast who appreciates the DB5.

• I was wondering if you had managed to complete the model? Im struggling with putting the main body with the frame. The screws are not long enough to hold in place and have given up. Tried calling Eagle Moss customer services but they were not interested.
    Do we know if anybody has completed this.because the face book page on there website has some pretty disappointed people.
    just 20 parts to go and it all went rather well, the ejection seat mechanism seems to miss a part, but I made a plasticpart to keep the assembly in place. I have pictures of
    the process on Alfaowner.com under wayoff topic, search for DB5.

This built db5 sold for US $3,551.01 on ebay.
    1/8 ASTON MARTIN DB5 007 JAMES BOND HUGE! LIMITED EDITION! ASSEMBLED MUST HAVE!
    david1610 wrote:
    I was wondering if you had managed to complete the model? Im struggling with putting the main body with the frame. The screws are not long enough to hold in place and have given up. Tried calling Eagle Moss customer services but they were not interested.
    Mine is pretty close - yes it has the short screw problem when trying to attach the front body to the chassis assembly due to misalignment. During the first dozen or so tries it popped out the windscreen and broke the window surround - hence have to source another part 48! Have tapered the areas where the front body and chassis pieces fit together, but yes the supplied screws still are not long enough - Am sourcing longer screws for front body attachment (dia2.6mm) but may also need to extend the tapped holes for these to fit. I found these types of screws are used in RC models.
    For my version I modified the weapons tray based partly on what some others had done - you can now see the contents instead of being all black!
    Rest of the model is as-is and looks pretty cool !!
    Sooooo close - I would like to finish this pressing engagement ;)
  • Haven't managed to get as far as fitting the front end that has frustrated so may builders. The steering column simply isn't long enough. It's jammed up against the chassis and has no chance of reaching the steering rack. No need to say Eaglemoss were not at all helpful. It seems pot luck as to whether your kit will go together or not. I suggest people avoid these expensive kits and simply buy the same model from someone who has already put it together and make sure all the sections fit and the electronics work. Huge disappointment
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2
    Have a list of problems on this model.
    1. Front end does go on by getting the doors in first. It's a steep angle and the steering wheel comes off too easily.
    2. Back end with bullet proof shield not as easy to slip on as suggested in DVD. Had it stuck a couple of times.
    3. Used glue on rear quarter windows to keep the chromies in place. Same with window latch.
    4. Ejector seat. Need I say more?
    5. Mismatched paint finish. And as I live in New Zealand let's not go down that road.
    6. Most spare parts available are for the first 3 months. That's where ppl just gave up. I was determined to complete one and after two years ended up with one and a half plus a few other extra parts. The hard to find parts are nearing completion.
    7. Tyres. There are two types. Unless one is wrong. Yes. I found two types
    8. Two types of chassis. UK and Europe is different to the Pacific Region. Be aware of two variants of the same model.
    9. Wire wheels are wrong. On ebay made to order 3D Printed wheels of the correct type. Am saving up to get that done in the new year 2015.

That's all for now

Richard k
  • Caterham_7 wrote: »
    All was going great until fitting the front end assembly with doors attached, it simply doesn't match up to both sides leaving irregular panel gaps & shut lines which prevent front windscreen & rear quarter panel glass from staying in place. May be that the front panel moulding is flawed by design or mine is a one-off but prevents completion of the model at this late stage which is disappointing after the many months spent collecting components. Its otherwise an impressively finished model with great detail for any enthusiast who appreciates the DB5.

Hi There. Have been stuck at the same point for some time - did you ever get a response? (Australia)

• MDCarterUK wrote: »
    Subscribed to this the moment it came out. Built the sub-project parts week-by-week over 85 issues and was left rather crushed by the end result. Mismatched paint work, gaps in the body where the screws aren't up to the job, quarterlights and windscreens that pop out of their own accord, faulty electrics. It was a bit of a disappointment. And unfortunately, I wasn't alone, with the Facebook group heaving with frustrated builders, screaming "Watchdog" "Trading Standards" and all that stuff.

The publishers have offered to fix all the faults if I send the model in, which I have, and I can only hope they fix it all up to the standards they promised all those week's ago. It's not a disaster. It's quite good, if I'm being honest, with the engine purring when the key is inserted and the parts looking mostly good. But it's not great. And for £600, you at least want great, if not drop dead fricking gorgeous.

Did the publishers fix it? I can't get the front sub assembly (bonnet & doors) to attach to the rest of the car. Not only will both sides not clip in at the same time, none of the screws left actually fit...
  • quote="MDCarterUK;173444"]And unfortunately, I wasn't alone, with the Facebook group heaving with frustrated builders, screaming "Watchdog" "Trading Standards" and all that stuff.[/quote]

Did the publishers fix it? I can't get the front sub assembly (bonnet & doors) to attach to the rest of the car. Not only will both sides not clip in at the same time, none of the screws left actually fit...
    [/quote]

Also - can you post the link to the facebook group? Can't seem to find it. Thanks

Sadly this is why I would never attempt to build anything like this for these sad reasons.
  • Chevron wrote: »
    Royster wrote:
    Anybody else having serious problems fitting the front end ? Seems to screw in on one side then you realise that the other side is pressing

against the windscreen and pushing it out of position.

I'm picturing Roger Moore saying that to Q.

I had this problem. I fixed it by test fitting the front to the roof section first and I found that the 2 lugs at the bottom of the windscreen do not sit in the recesses on the frame. I had to file them down. This misalignment will not allow the front to sit down correctly. I had to take off about an eighth of an inch of the front of the screen. If you cannot get the front to sit correctly the doors will never fit.