I'm just back from SKYFALL, Do you agree Bardem was a classic villain?

13»

Comments

• I am not a Barden fan at all, but I have enjoyed so much his Silva performance that I even want to forgive him for his early (horrible) Spanish movies.
  • diamonddiamond Bonn
    I have seen him in "No Country for Old Men" and he was really scary as a psychopathic guy. In Skyfall, I did not find him so scary, although Severine was implying that he would be really scary. But his performance was excellent and correct if I am wrong but we have not seen a similar type of villain before in the series. He did not seem a "classic" villain to me from this point of view.
    I loved Silva, my favourite villian since Sanchez. I was hoping for a fight between Bond and Silva though but that is just a small gripe. Loved the whole film in my top 5.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Bardem is absolutely amazing as Silva. Definitely one of the series' best villains.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm just back from the screening. Silva is an instant classic, even better than I expected.
  • All that was missing was Silva having a Henchman, Mr.Stamper has been the best in the last 15 years, Zao had a great look but in a boss battle, my money's on Dr Kauffman's padawan.
  • ...and his name really is Sharky!
  • Sylva is a first for the Bonds. In no film has the main villain been so focused on planning his revenge and salvation as this one. His love-hate relationship with M and his personal turmoil is truly great. He shows concern over M's wound, but amazingly wants to die with mommy. Patris was the classic baddy, the Zao-Stamper type. I liked that behind M's iron mask the soft spots emerged, they did go to places we've never seen before
    I haven't seen the film yet, so I have a question about Bardem limited screentime.
    How many minutes (approximately) is Silva on screen and how is his screentime comparable with previous villains of Craig's era ?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    rt183 wrote:
    I haven't seen the film yet, so I have a question about Bardem limited screentime.
    How many minutes (approximately) is Silva on screen and how is his screentime comparable with previous villains of Craig's era ?

Well, he is introduced 70 minutes in. And is in the film for like 35-40 minutes. So he's seen more then both Le Chiffre and Dominic Greene.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    diamond wrote:
    I have seen him in "No Country for Old Men" and he was really scary as a psychopathic guy. In Skyfall, I did not find him so scary, although Severine was implying that he would be really scary. But his performance was excellent and correct if I am wrong but we have not seen a similar type of villain before in the series. He did not seem a "classic" villain to me from this point of view.

I call him classic because Fleming would have described him just like he is in the film.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I love Silva's character. This guy has a simple story to tell: revenge. In a way it's the first time a Bond villain is basically all about revenge: clean and pure. One might argue that SPECTRE was into some form of revenge with FRWL, but that was just a secondary thing for them. Trevelyan was all about revenge but the idea got pushed aside by his control over the goldeneye satellite and his bank theft. Elektra wanted something that could also be called revenge but with a pinch of salt. Even Moon had political revenge of some sort on his mind, but hardly worth the term. So, Silva's the very first to just go for revenge and I love that. It's clean and simple, told in a pure and concise way.

To be fair, I think Craig's gotten some interesting villains so far. LeChiffre's plot was brilliant but then also direct testimony to Fleming's creative writing. I like Greene as well, more of a real life baddie than some would like to admit but a scary little berserker with and axe if you think about it. :) And as for Silva, wow! His mannerism, crazy sense of humour and just his persistence! True: I can see elements stripped from past 24 baddies, but I'm liking his every scene. IMO, 3 for 3 in the villain department of the Craig era!

Silva was great. I am not certain yet how much I loved Skyfall as a movie, but I certainly loved its villain. Is it me or was the character inspired by Hugo Drax from the novel? His motivation pure Drax: nihilistic revenge. And he succeeds, to a degree, although the death of M does not result in the fall of MI6.
    I don't see the Joker connection at all, other than both characters had
    facial deformities
    and changed the colour of the hair. The Joker was psychotic whereas Silva was more camp and had a motive for his attacks on M and the city of London. Of course both were larger than life characters but that's about it really. Why not highlight where Batman has crossed over into Bond territory rather than the other way round? Sorry, I just think it's lazy to compare everything to Nolan's Batman without a full explanation as to why.

I did enjoy Bardem's performance and felt that it made the second half of SF that much more gratifying. And yes there were some Fleming traits in his behavior and make-up that made him one of the best villains since the early days of Roger Moore's Bond, though not quite up to Connery's rogue gallery.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I remember both times the audience giggled at his expressions when
    he was dying after Bond threw the knife in his back
    . I suspect that was intentional though.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    You mean when he turns around to face Bond and let's out an angry, "arrgghh", as if to say, "you always have to ruine my plans" lol. It was a funny and great scene.