007 Nightfire Appreciation

edited June 2011 in 007 Gaming Posts: 4,762
My favorite James Bond video game, and quite possibly my favorite video game of all time, is 007 Nightfire. It's been 9 nine years since its release, but does anyone still play it anymore? I play it often, and my favorite thing about it is the multiplayer in which I do;t have to have someone else playing with me, due to the AI bot system. Anyway, tell me what you think about Nightfire!

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    NF is also my favourite Bond game, though not quite my favourite game (Bloodrayne/Bloodrayne 2, Cold Winter & Conflict Desert Storm II would come before it). I do like to pop it in my PS2 every now and again to play a couple of missions.

Haing owned both the PS2 and PC ports, I can say that I preferred it by far on the PS2.
    I have it for both GameCube and PS2, and I sort of liked the GameCube version better, but only because the controls were a little easier to handle, and in multiplayer you could have up to 6 bots. The PS2 only gave you 4.
    i dont own that game but one my friend does and everytime i will go to his home i play that game however i really really really suck at that game and i cant pass very first mission and he finished the game long time ago :)
    Yeah, that first level was difficult for me to pass during those first few times I played it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I found that first mission easy, afterall, the first time you play, the game holds your hand with a walkthtrough.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Nightfire was a good game on it's own terms but against some of the others maybe it wasn't so great. I like it though, even now and wish we'd get something at least this good today.
    Samuel001 said:
    I like it though, even now and wish we'd get something at least this good today.

Agreed! Except for GoldenEye for the Wii, the more recent Bond games have been somewhat lacking in depth, originality, and a good multiplayer that doesn't require online connection.
    NightFire was awesome on every platform and is rated No. 1 in my gaming list. No one can beat NF at any cost, even the legendary GE64. NF's storyline and gameplay were amazingly cool. I'd say EA have done very good games with the exception of GERA, which is not considered by me myself as a Bond game, because there is NO Bond, then it's not a Bond game. For me, the last Bond game was FRWL with fantastic gameplay.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    For me, the last Bond game was FRWL with fantastic gameplay.
    I'm sorry... What ?!? The FRWL game totally butchered the film, putting action scenes everywhere... Maybe it was 'fun', but totally disrespecting the original material. They turned FRWL into a Statham film... That is high treason, and every copy of the game should be eradicated.

For me, the last Bond game was FRWL with fantastic gameplay.
    I'm sorry... What ?!? The FRWL game totally butchered the film, putting action scenes everywhere... Maybe it was 'fun', but totally disrespecting the original material. They turned FRWL into a Statham film... That is high treason, and every copy of the game should be eradicated.

I never talked beside the film, I liked it as a video game.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Well FRWL is based on the film, and it totally butchered the original material.

Well FRWL is based on the film, and it totally butchered the original material.

OK, but, as a video game... think it like it is something original, of course I know the film was more respective spy film, they should have made Thunderball instead. Am I right? But, the gameplay and the level design along with concept artworks were awesome.
    JamesBond said:
    NightFire was awesome on every platform and is rated No. 1 in my gaming list.

Nice to see that someone agrees with me! Also, @DaltonCraig007: I agree with you about FRWL. It made the movie very confusing for me, because I played the game before I saw the movie, which was a horrible mistake. In the game, SPECTRE is now called OCTOPUS, Red Grant has a henchwoman, Rosa Klebb was killed before Grant, Morzeny, Kronsteen, and Blofeld all do not appear, Grant escapes the battle on the train, "OCTOPUS" has a secret missile silo on a deserted island, and the Aston Martin DB5 makes an appearance. Once I saw the movie, I was really confused and slightly disappointed by how many action scenes in the game did not appear in the film.
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,686
    Once I saw the movie, I was really confused and slightly disappointed by how many action scenes in the game did not appear in the film.
    Actually it's the other way 'round - I was disappointed by how many action scenes were included in the game. FRWL is a espionnage thriller, not a Statham actioner.

That's very true. I guess for me, it was simply that I wanted to see those scenes in the movie, but didn't get to. Now, however, I'm glad that the movie is nothing like the game, which in my opinion, is a flop!
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Maybe the trouble with the FRWL game is it maybe wasn't such a logical choice for a video game in the first place-- I mean unless they didn't go the 'action game' route. FRWL would have maybe made a nice LA Noir type game (Not 100% focused on action, have to use your noggin, etc). For an action game based off a Connery movie, YOLT or GF would have made much more sense I think

But Nightfire is indeed an awesome game, and I'm glad I kept it after all these years because I often go back to play it on a lazy rainy day. Did you know the voice for Brosnan's Bond is the British dude from Grease 2? Talk about getting better work! lol
    But as good as Nightfire is, I think I like EON a bit better- it's really Brosnan's 5th movie when you think about it! Just as over the top as DAD and with a complete cast of actors (and it even has the damn invisible car...)
    EON was a great game, but my problem with it was the whole 3rd Person thing. It made for great hand-to-hand combat, probably the best of them all, but the gun fights became a little akward and hard to handle. I also really hated the vehicle levels, except for the motorcycle on the Louisiana bridge. That was so intense and epic! It was those car levels and that one tank driving level that ruined the vehicle parts. But put that aside, and yes, EON was exceptionally great! I wish more Bond games would bring back the old villains like EON did with Jaws!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My favorite James Bond video game, and quite possibly my favorite video game of all time, is 007 Nightfire. It's been 9 nine years since its release, but does anyone still play it anymore? I play it often, and my favorite thing about it is the multiplayer in which I do;t have to have someone else playing with me, due to the AI bot system. Anyway, tell me what you think about Nightfire!
    Unfortunately they ripped me off with their poor PC version of NF. That said, I like the settings of the game. Some of the interior design is absolutely fantastic. There are, however, more things about the game I don't like. E.g. the stealth missions are weak in this day and age of Splinter Cell, when stealth received such a golden treatment, NF should have considered working towards a similar approach, or none at all. Also, multiple characters come and go but in the condensed PC version, there's no back story for some of those. Even worse is that the PC DVD box promised OddJob and Jaws. Either I'm blind or that's a lie like I never heard one. The music is fine... My conclusion of the game, when I fist played it upon its release, was that had it been released three years before, it would have stood out as a great achievement. Now, unfortunately, it was nothing but weak attempt at playing with the big boys. Max Payne and Return To Castle Wolfenstein, released one year prior to NF, had raised the bar. So would Call Of Duty one year after NF. Even Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, IMHO, had achieved so much more in 2001. Again, perhaps it's the whole PC thing and people who play console games may be very enthusiastic about NF. I'm only mildly enthusiastic, and that's because I'm a Bond fan.

Maybe there's something wrong with my taste. I happen to like QoS and BS infinitely more than I do NF. Yes, I kinda like those COD based games. Sue me. ;;)

@DarthDimi: Hey, I like Quantum of Solace and Blood Stone as well! You're not alone there!
    QoS was the worst Bond game behind GE2010. Why? Because, it's COD-ised completely.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 4,813
    If you can find it at a cheap price you should give the PS2 version a shot. It's more in common with EON and FRWL than COD. Awesome game!
    I know, I've played QoS on PS2, it was freakin' awesome. Unlike the stupid Trey-arch developed rubbish COD-ised Bourne-ified Bond game.
    Wow, harsh talk about QoS! Personally, I rather liked it a lot! Of course, it will never be as good as Nightfire!
    Wow, harsh talk about QoS! Personally, I rather liked it a lot! Of course, it will never be as good as Nightfire!
    Of course it wouldn't, because it is a "Call of Duty" clone, just like this new "GoldenEye 007".

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Of course it wouldn't, because it is a "Call of Duty" clone, just like this new "GoldenEye 007".

Same way NF was a clone of some of the lesser shooters developed around 2000. There's nothing original about that game. I don't think the argument stands.

Same way NF was a clone of some of the lesser shooters developed around 2000. There's nothing original about that game. I don't think the argument stands.

No, that wasn't what I meant. Yes, NF has carried complete the same gameplay that Half-Life originally developed. But, the latter didn;t have gadget options while NF had. And also NF's gameplay was terrific. You feel like you're a real gamer and you're playing like 007. But, this QoS had carried the same gameplay COD games have. I call it "Call of Duty: James Bond 007 Edition", both GE2010 and QoS. But, QoS for PS2 was awesome, why? it was developed by Eurocom, properly.

I know, you're gonna mention GE2010 that it is also developed by Eurocom. Only the first "reveal" trailer footage was the development of the respective Eurocom. They quit the project because Activison (or Craptivsion) wanted to COD-ise it. So, Treyarch secretly re-developed the game on the same level-concepts that Eurocom worked on. This is the true story, believe me.
    It doesn't really matter to me if a Bond game features the same gameplay as another more popular game. Bond games are significantly different in their own right, and personally, they make the their games better than the ones they were based off.
    I've never played FRWL, QoS, DS or GE2010 but I did own Nightfire and Everything or Nothing. Both great games :)
    You should give all of those games a try sometime, with the exception of FRWL. You won't miss out on anything if you don't play that one. Also, if you get GoldenEye 2010, you should play the online multiplayer. It's really fun!
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I LOVED the original GE so I don't think the new one will be the same ;)