James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So I went through all that trouble of driving to town to pick up the three Best Buy exclusives I was promised would be held for me - but weren't - last Saturday. Now that they have been officially released, I get to find out that someone bought the last three copies today, and I have to keep coming in with each new shipment in hopes I beat someone to purchasing them. Excellent.
  • Does anyone know where I can find large HD versions of the Blu-Ray/DVD box art as seen here:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/dvd/index_ue_2008.php3 and here:
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/dvd/index_bluray.php3?t=mi6&s=collecting

Particularly the FRWL/OHMSS/FYEO/LTK/DAD designs from the first link?
    They are my favourite Bond poses and I hope to create a wallpaper with them.
  • Can someone confirm something for me?

A friend has told me that in the AVTAK blu ray, they have deleted the California Girls music from the PTS, replacing it with an extended version of Snow Job.

Tell me this is a horrible lie?
  • Nope. It's still there. I remember me and my friend cringing at it not so long ago.
  • DamnCoffee wrote:
    Nope. It's still there. I remember me and my friend cringing at it not so long ago.

:-\" *just climbs down from his soapbox* phew, panicked there for a second!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    At least it is nice to see that AVTAK is consistently staying an eyesore.
    My impression:

Dr.No-TMWTGG: All 4k scanned by Lowry. Look fantastic. Have a great and natural film look.
    TSWLM and MR: Cleaned up by Lowry. Both look like movies that could have been shot recently.
    FYEO-GE: I found these to be the least impressive.
    TND-DAD: Looks better than the 80's Bond, but somehow I still prefer the look and tone of the pre 80's Bonds.
    which one is AVATAK? some of the bond films its hard to remember with initials.
    kyfm wrote:
    which one is AVATAK? some of the bond films its hard to remember with initials.

That would be 'A View To A Kill.'

I haven't seen AVTAK in quite some time, but I always remember loving it. Why does it receive the hate thrown its way?
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Bought it yesterday.

1f104af21e0a11e2b05e1231381b445c_7.jpg
    Bought it yesterday.

1f104af21e0a11e2b05e1231381b445c_7.jpg

Had to do a double take then! :O Didn't think that was DC on the cover! ;)) Thgink i need a coffee!
    i thought the movies weren't in hd because when i play watch them on our hdtv from our blu-ray player they only have a resolution of 480p?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,874
    kyfm wrote:
    i thought the movies weren't in hd because when i play watch them on our hdtv from our blu-ray player they only have a resolution of 480p?

Go into your 'output resolution' on your blu-ray player and select 'source direct' this will give the 1080p/24 resolution which the films are encoded in. You will notice a marked difference!
    480p is the resolution for video - DVD are at 576, HD ready at 720p, but you should be viewing at 1080 to get best results. Hope this helps.
  • OwenDavian wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just got off the phone with a very nice customer service employee from Best Buy, who gave me a hearty list of helpful information:

1.) They currently have all three UE exclusive blu-rays in stock: OHMSS, TSWLM, and YOLT.
    2.) Each film comes with one ticket voucher for SF.
    3.) The films are only $9.99 a piece.
    4.) If you trade in one old DVD to a blu-ray that is $9.99 and up, you receive $5 off that blu-ray.

So, if you follow that last step, in the end, you will receive all three Best Buy UE exclusive blu-rays, plus three ticket vouchers for SF, for a mere $14.99. What a steal.

Sounds too good to be true!

My best buy isn't doing the trade-in thing. Weird.
  • Bought FRWL and LALD. Waiting for the weekend so I can watch. CAN'T WAIT!
  • OwenDavian wrote:
    OwenDavian wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just got off the phone with a very nice customer service employee from Best Buy, who gave me a hearty list of helpful information:

1.) They currently have all three UE exclusive blu-rays in stock: OHMSS, TSWLM, and YOLT.
    2.) Each film comes with one ticket voucher for SF.
    3.) The films are only $9.99 a piece.
    4.) If you trade in one old DVD to a blu-ray that is $9.99 and up, you receive $5 off that blu-ray.

So, if you follow that last step, in the end, you will receive all three Best Buy UE exclusive blu-rays, plus three ticket vouchers for SF, for a mere $14.99. What a steal.

Sounds too good to be true!

My best buy isn't doing the trade-in thing. Weird.

Neither is mine...
    They stopped doing that by this point. That, alongside the fact that they aren't carrying any more copies of the 'Best Buy exclusives' means that I traded in three of my DVD's for absolutely nothing. Such a rip-off. Should have known it was too good to be true. You can still buy them from the online site for $9.99 a film + free SF ticket.
  • I bought 5 blu ray singles. I'm going to wait until black friday to see if they go down even further in price.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 822
  • TheBondFan wrote:
    OwenDavian wrote:
    I bought 5 blu ray singles. I'm going to wait until black friday to see if they go down even further in price.

Less than $9.99? Doubt it. It's already a steal.

• Not really if you consider buying all 22 is more than paying for the box set.
  • Sorry if anyone has posted this already.

Hi sorry if im being really stupid but where did you find this and where does it appear, context etc? As i was under the impression no new special features were being released for the 50th blu ray collection? No coment worthy ones are present on my box set ones anyway.

thanx

• edited November 2012 Posts: 74
    In recent weeks I had been so focused on the theatrical release of "Skyfall" that I completely forgot about the imminent (non-store-exclusive!) individual release of all the missing Bond blu-rays. Just four days to go!

I was wondering: did any of You guys order from Italy as well or will You wait for when the blu-rays are released in Your respective countries at a later yet unspecified date? Some of my other discs have German packaging, some English, and some even French -- so I do not care if Moore's essential Bond film ("The spy who loved me", of course) will have Italian packaging -- I want the movie in HD now . .!

;)

I am also wondering if the Italian Amazon guys do handle pre-orders as, uhm . . , efficient as their French colleagues . . !

:-O

I will see next week . . .
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    The Goldeneye blu ray is hideous.

What's wrong with it? Please elaborate. I was under the impression many of the issues were fixed with this release.

They've smoothed over all the grain and result is a picture devoid of any fine detail and covered in artificial sharpness. It's terrible. They fixed the framing though, which I guess is something.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The Goldeneye blu ray is hideous.

What's wrong with it? Please elaborate. I was under the impression many of the issues were fixed with this release.

They've smoothed over all the grain and result is a picture devoid of any fine detail and covered in artificial sharpness. It's terrible. They fixed the framing though, which I guess is something.

Yuk. They should start again from the original SE prints.

How do the other films look?
  • All terrific - to varying degrees. Goldeneye is the only problematic transfer
    I don't know whether it being a one off helps or not. Good to know the others look alright. Thanks.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,160
    Samuel001 wrote:
    How do the other films look?
    Zekidk wrote:
    Dr.No-TMWTGG: All 4k scanned by Lowry. Look fantastic. Have a great and natural film look.
    TSWLM and MR: Cleaned up by Lowry. Both look like movies that could have been shot recently.
    FYEO-GE: I found these to be the least impressive.
    TND-DAD: Looks better than the 80's Bond, but somehow I still prefer the look and tone of the pre 80's Bonds.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks @Zekidk, I must have missed that. No surprise the '60's and '70's films look the best of the lot. It's always the way.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Thanks @Zekidk, I must have missed that. No surprise the '60's and '70's films look the best of the lot. It's always the way.
    They were 4K scanned and cleaned. The rest was "just" cleaned up.