(SPOILERS) Is Skyfall a less sexist Bond film?

edited October 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 9
So here's a recent article from the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2012/oct/30/skyfall-less-sexist-bond-film?CMP=twt_gu

Whilst taking pot shots at the names of previous female Bond characters and a few digs at sexism in Skyfall, the arguement is that Judi Dench's M has made the film less sexist than the misogyny in previous movies.

I always think people miss Bond's motivation with most of the female characters anyway (i.e he's essentially using Severine just to get to Silva) and presume he's seducing them because he's James Bond? Anyway, what do you think?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What I think is that Bond has been persistently accused of sexism and I call horse bugger on the matter. Define sexism. Does Bond discriminate women? Do the Bond films endanger the feminine image in society? Wouldn't it be sexist to always portray women in the Bonds as superhumans with all Bond's strengths and talents meaning that women should basically long to be a man like Bond rather than pursue their own identity? Isn't the whole thing about gender equality a matter of everyone can be as they are?
  • I've always found those "Bond's equal" female characters in Bond films to come off as highly patronising. It like they're saying "Look, women are almost as good at this stuff as men! Isn't it adorable?"
  • O6GO6G
    Theres less sexism because the main bond girl gets literally 4 scenes and 5 lines to say.
    Its not as in your face as it use to be.