The MLB Thread

edited April 2019 in General Discussion Posts: 1,407
Any baseball fans around here? Any predictions for the World Series? San Fransisco GIants vs Detroit Tigers

Comments

• With the way San Francisco came out firing in this game against Justin Verlander, the series might be over quicker than expected.
    Very true. Very exciting game 1 so far. As a Chicago White Sox fan, I'm happy whenever the Tigers are pounded. Looks like Verlander is going to be pinch hit for in only the 5th inning
  • Wow...Pablo Sandoval joins the company of Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson and Albert Pujols by hitting 3 HRs in one World Series game.
  • I like both teams but would probably root for Detroit just because I want the city to have something to celebrate. Glad they finally made it on the board. I hope this isn't a sweep series, I'd like it to be close and for it to go to a game 7, but at this rate it could be over pretty quick. I'm a Red Sox fan by the way so I'm just happy that the Yankees crashed and burned in the post-season haha!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Go Giants!
    I'll 2nd that! Can't wait for game 2 tomorrow.

@sirseanisbond, I'm sure you were very happy with the Yankees collapse. What is your feeling on your new manager?
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Living practically down the st from AT&T Park, I'll just say GO GIANTS
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,622
    I'm rooting for the Tigers but the Giants sure have a swagger about them after dominating game one. That's 4 straight one-sided wins in a row, counting the last 3 blowouts of the Cards. Giants sure made Verlander work tonight. They were putting the bat on everything he threw at them, opposite field, down the middle, as opposed to trying to pull the ball. Poor guy's not used to that much contact. He looked flustered.
    I still say the Tigers have the better team, so I will go with Tigers in 7, but not very confidently.
    I'm a huge baseball fan, but dont have any means to actually watch the games hahahuhubuhu :( It would require another subscription to more tv-channels that I cant afford.

Anyways, for some reason White Sox is the favourite team, along side Cardinals.
  • bondbat007 wrote:
    @sirseanisbond, I'm sure you were very happy with the Yankees collapse. What is your feeling on your new manager?

I'm happy with Farrell. He'll be a breath of fresh air in the clubhouse because use to be a part of it as the pitching coach. He's no Tedo, but I think he'll do well and frankly I couldn't think of anyone else available who could do better. Valentine was doomed to fail from the start, he was just a stopgap, a filler for an off year. Hopefully now that we have a new manager and dumped a large % of payroll by dropping under-performers (ahem, Becket) I think we can now move on and start to build a new team. 2013 will probably be another slow year but who knows, anything can happen.
    There always seems to be a lot of drama in Boston so hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.
    And to no surprise, it looks like Jose Valverde will not make anymore appearances unless really needed. I'm fine with that. I find him to be an absolute show off who doesn't respect his opponents
    Farrell is taking a lot of heat here in Blue Jay land for being so eager to return to Boston. It's been revealed that he even asked before the start of this season to be moved to Boston and of course he asked again at the end of this season. Jays GM is being skewered for not holding the Red Sox for ransom, and for hiring a Mngr that didn't want to be here, in the first place - that was using the Jays as an apprenticeship for his "dream job"
    Jays are in a bad place in the wake of this embarassment. I think we should have last place all to our own next year. We have no starting pitching, no manager, just a couple of older sluggers (Encarnacion and Bautista) a few prospects and not much else. :|
    That's such a shame because the Jays are a great franchise with a great history. Just like Tampa Bay and Baltimore, I'd love to see Toronto put pressure on New York for the division
  • Well it may not be too difficult to put pressure on New York next year because it seems like they have a lot of problems to deal with after what happened in the playoffs. A-Rod may go and who knows how well Jeter will be after the surgery because he's already pretty old to begin with.
    Well knowing the Yankees, they'll just go spend money until it's all better
  • Yeah but their really aren't many good people out there that are free to pick up right now. If I'm honest that's the strategy that the Red Sox would use too but right now it's pretty slim-pickins out there. Who do you think is likely to be at the center of some big trades?
    If the Dodgers are out of it, I think they might sell off some of the contracts they took on this season.

And Giants finally score!
  • With the Giants up 2-0 and the Tigers looking defeated, the Series might not make it back to San Francisco.
  • Well at least it takes away some of the focus on Skyfall..

Not much of a baseball fan these days. It simply doesn't generate the same level as Super Bowl or even Wrestlemania until a few years ago. The Orioles had a great side many years ago but haven't won the Series for the best part of thirty years now. Detriot have a lot of ground to make up to salvage something..
    My God, the formerly ferocious Tigers, slayers of the hated Yankees, are suddenly toothless. I'm changing my prediction. There is no reason not to vote for the Giants. They are on a roll. Their pitching has been close to perfect and their two best pitchers are up next. I give the Tigers one win at home, maybe two, but even so, Giants will win Game 6.
    New prediction: Giants win two of three in Tigertown to take the series.
    Although I wouldn't bet a nickel on any of my predictions. Baseball is much easier to predict after the fact. ;)
    bondbat007 wrote:
    That's such a shame because the Jays are a great franchise with a great history. Just like Tampa Bay and Baltimore, I'd love to see Toronto put pressure on New York for the division
    Jays had to face a reality check this year. The GM is a kid. His team wasn't half as good as he thought it was. Now that Farrell is gone they can get a proper Manager who is committed to winning here. Seeing as the divsion is so strong, with Rays, Yanks and Orioles all coming off good years and Red Sox probably on the rebound, Jays look like the obvious choice to finish bottom, which isn't so bad if they develop talent next year, rather than delude themselves into thinking they can compete right now. Any team can be turned around in two seasons.

I would love to see Sandy Alomar jr take over the Jays job. He deserves to finally be a manager somewhere.
    If I'm correct the open manager positions are
    Toronto
    Colorado
    Miami (Poor Ozzie)

And yes @timmer, Giants are on fire. And they haven't even used Matt Cain yet!
    Big baseball fan here. I have a soft spot for the Giants mainly because Marco Scutaro played for the Jays and I've been a fan of Tim Lincecum since his arrival in the majors.
    I'm just hoping for a very good WS.
    Big baseball fan here. I have a soft spot for the Giants mainly because Marco Scutaro played for the Jays and I've been a fan of Tim Lincecum since his arrival in the majors.
    I'm just hoping for a very good WS.

Scutaro has been amazing. What a pick up. And it looks like the Giants are going to win this one. 3-0 series lead!
    My goodness. Fire sale in Miami. Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Burlehe, and John Buck all to the Blue Jays!
    Thought I'd bump this thread up to see anybody's thoughts on the 2013 season so far
  • I'm pissed off about the weak hitting Phillies, if not for Dom Brown leading the NL in homers and helping the team win, we could be as bad as the Mutts or the Fish. Our starting pitching and Paps have helped a lot, boy was Boston dumb to let him go and after this last series it's obvious we allegedly "classless" Philadelphia sports fans are more classy than the Red Sox faithful as we warmly welcomed Shane V home while Sox fans booed a guy who was on the hill when they won their last World Series. I'll never understand that one in a million years, our great players of the past are still revered.

Hopefully Utley and Chooch will come back better and Ryan Howard will finally straighten out his aimless hacking and start earning his paycheck. He could learn a lot from Ortiz' approach for sure. We also need middle relief and it's time to bring up Darin Ruf, he's got to be better than Delmon Young and Mayberry, he couldn't do any worse.
    I agree. My good friend is a die hard Phillies fan and he's just as fed up as you are. My White Sox are just as bad. Time for a rebuild. Not a lot of real surprises so far except that the Blue Jays, Dodgers, and Angels are much worse than anticipated
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    The Blue Jays had the World Series won on paper back in spring training.
    But something seems to have gone wrong along the way. :)
    Here's what's happened in my not-so-learned opinion.
    Jays rotation, which was supposed to be a huge strength, has turned out to be a bust.
    Only R.A. Dickey and Mark Buehrle have managed to make all their starts, and they've just been hanging on, with very middling results.
    Meanwhile, all of Brandon Morrow, Josh Johnson, and J.A. Happ have been hammered by combination of injuries and related poor performance, forcing the use of numerous spot-starters and not-ready call-ups.
    Jose Reyes got banged up early too which was demoralizing, but the Jays at least have had enough depth to cover off the loss of his bat.
    The real problem has been the hopeless starting pitching, combined with a general malaise, leading to sloppy fielding etc.
    The team now seems to at least be dealing with reality. ie they are in last place. Expectations have dimished. Sorting the rotation might be hopeless though.
    Josh Johnson returns this week, but Dickey and Buehrle are still very so-so. Morrow and Happ remain out of the picture and there really is no-one else. Chad Jenkins is serviceable but still developing. Maybe Dustin McGowan comes back and finds his old magic. Just limping back to 500 though might be all that's available for this team.
    Glass half-full though, is that Johnson combines with Dickey and Buehrle for a respectable front 3, while others manage to hold down the back-end of the rotation.
    Bats are quite good and even better if Reyes returns to give everyone a lift.
    Bullpen has not been a problem. Lots of good arms there, espcially Casey Janssen, Aaron Loup, Bret Cecil, Steve Delabar, Esmil Rogers and Darren Oliver before he got hurt.
    Team defence is also easily improved if players get heads out of butts, now that early season projections of greatness have been tempered by reality.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 3,494
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I agree. My good friend is a die hard Phillies fan and he's just as fed up as you are. My White Sox are just as bad. Time for a rebuild. Not a lot of real surprises so far except that the Blue Jays, Dodgers, and Angels are much worse than anticipated

Phils vs White Sox this year, should be a good series. Your pitcher Sale is a stud, I hope when Jesse Biddle (a local Philly kid) comes up for us he does as well. Biddle struck out over 30 in 2 games just recently. The Yankees' Trenton affiliate is 5-10 minutes away so I get to see the Reading Phillies when they come into town, much less of a pain than the madhouse that is CBP plus all the I-95 construction that makes trying to get down there with rush hour twice as long. Hope to see Biddle this year in person with any kind of luck.

I like our starters, they are mostly consistent and keep us in games. Mike Adams has mostly solved the 8th inning issues so if we have a lead by then it's good, Paps has been great as our closer. Our problems are entirely with the hitting. Our 2008 core is aging and when GM Ruben Amaro went with the philosophy of signing stud free agent pitchers, he savaged our minor league hitting talent that the great Pat Gillick had picked during his tenure. Guys like Travis D'Arnaud he gave away could yet be studs, I think the Jays had him and now the Mutts do. That sucks. Darin Ruf is the closest thing we have as far as right handed power, but he's been hurt a bit lately and won't get called up because he's a first baseman and hasn't been quite able to be proficient in the outfield, although Delmon Young sure isn't very much better, they'll keep him because they paid for him. It's a joke how they treat Ruf. Guys like Galvis and Cesar Hernandez are our future infield, slick fielders and good hitters but not power guys. You need to have boppers in a small field like CBP and I guess they think noodle arms like Ben Revere (a horrible signing, they should have gotten Dennard Span) can spray the ball around and make things happen- we're still waiting for that, so far he sucks. Most Phillies games this year, offensively, have been like watching paint dry. No plate discipline. Hard to take.

I am also shocked that the Jays are this bad with all the money they spent, and feel Timmer's pain. I like their chances better than ours this year even with all that. And speaking of disappointments, who'd a-thunk the Nationals would be as bad as they are?
    The Nationals should be ashamed of what they did to Strasburg last year. Chances to win championships don't come around often (I'm from Chicago so I know this lol). Instead of shutting down Stras they should have done what the White Sox did with Chris Sale which was skip some starts here and there and keep his arm fresh. Seems to have worked. But the Nats should be ashamed at themselves for wasting an opportunity like that.

And as for the Blue Jays, as you can imagine I'm a huge Burehle fan so I feel very bad for him and the team. Maybe they'll bounce back next year